Take a TnC Survey! Let us know what YOU want!

cy

Flashaholic
smallest veriable level light that will support li-ion. (AAA & CR2)

DavidR

Newly Enlightened
Survey completed. Thanks for asking our opinion and anxiously awaiting whatever it is you produce.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screw imagometrics stupid surveys. Imago has two motives getting his hands in others profit streams and having his already huge ego inflated as much as possible.

What I want....

I'd like TNC to stay people and product oriented, to enjoy making new lights and enjoying them in the company of others who also enjoy lights. I'd like TNC to ignore the self important arse at imagometrics's who is likely filling your head with silly pipe dreams of being the next MAG instruments complete with 6 figure incomes. Imago is a smooth talking bs artist.

For those who think I'm a jerk for stating my honest opinion without sugar coating, thankyou.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

You read my mind, Xochi.

I'd like a LuxIII, CR2 based, two stage switch on head, Reflector, body slightly larger than battery, HAIII Black or Nat.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I took the survey, but I'll follow the lead of others who have taken the opportunity to express their views on this thread...

Type 3 HA is very important for a keychain light, because of the constant abuse inflicted by keys, coins, and other pocket contents.

Small size is extremely important. A CR2 sized light would be the upper limit of what I consider to be a truly keychain sized light. While I really like the looks of the KeyLux-AA, I'm passing on purchasing one because I don't think I'd actually put it on my keychain (I found the Arc AA to be bit too large for comfortable keychain use). I'll use the funds to buy an extra KeyLux-N when they become available again...

At the current levels utilized by keychain lights, is there really much difference in output between a Luxeon 1 and Luxeon 3? I've read that tint quality is generally better with the Luxeon 3s, so that would seem to be the main factor, as opposed to output.

I like the concept of a head that can be used with AAA or N cell bodies, at the user's discretion.

Variable output would be extremely useful - at least two stages. A low level of light would provide the option of extended runtime. The output of a typical 5mm LED is still plenty of light for performing most tasks in total darkness.

While I appreciate the utility of a light that uses common batteries (AAA or AA), I would be willing to use an uncommon battery if it meant a significant decrease in size, or a significant increase in brightness and/or runtime. Case in point: the NiMH N cells for the KeyLux-N. I think a light that used a li-ion CR2, N, or AAA battery would be fantastic. There might be some resistance to abandoning common batteries in favor of an exotic, "proprietary" power source, but TnC lights are for discriminating flashaholics, not the mass market. Maybe the regulation circuit could be tweaked so that the light could be powered by alkaline/NiMH/lithium batteries in an emergency, at the cost of decreased output?

Anyway, that would be my "dream light".

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a laugh when I clicked on the link to the survey. The first page of the survey said, "...No cookie or other 'client-side' component will appear on your computer."

My computer on the other hand blocked two cookies from www.zoomerang.com trying to enter my computer. I tried the survey many times and each time my computer blocked the same two cookies. I suppose the first survey page is correct that is was not putting A cookie in my computer- it was putting TWO cookies in my computer.

I backed off on completing the survey.

Radagast

Enlightened
I'd like the smallest possible light, lux III with at least 2 brightness levels, and rechargeable with a carriage, please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for a cross between andrewwynn's Lux III AAA
lithium ion light (with the variable brightness feature)
with the knurling style of the TNC lights.

I EDC an Arc AAA-P and that's about as large as I
want to go. The Peak's look like nice lights but the
extra length is a deal breaker for me. The Arc is
bright enough for me 80% of the time. 10% of the time
it is too bright and the other 10% it is too dim.
So I guess I want a 3 level light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My AAA-P has a yellow beam splotched with purple
so I'm interested in Andrew's light for the better
beam (parabolic reflector) and color (from the Lux III).

Brass is nice but for EDC I'd vote for HAIII.

Greg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A keychain light needs to be simple and reliable.

I'd like to see a AAA-driven light with 2-stage brightness. The "low" level should be as efficient as possible (4 hours runtime?) and a bit brighter than the average coin-cell light. "High" need not be very efficient and should be bright while still allowing for, say, 15 minutes' runtime.

HA aluminim is nice, but how about stainless steel? No matter what you do with a keychain light, it's going to get beat up by the keys etc on a keyring. Might as well go with a material that's inherently hard rather than just being a surface treatment like hard-anodizing... The heat from a single emitter driven at low levels (or high for short durations) doesn't seem like it would overwhelm stainless.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of who it is from, I like the idea of a choice Lux I or Lux III light on the lines of the Vortex KC1 but either running on the CR2 and shorter than the KC1 or ever so slightly longer running on a single 123. Yes, a single AAA or even an N cell would be nice, but I'd go for the 3 volt.

As others have said, as small as possible with regards to the cell it is using. It's a keychain light, people! It doesn't need to be literally capable of being run over by a tank. The Infinity Ultra is SERIOUSLY overbuilt. I think the body should be thick enough that it would never be bent under extra heavy duty pocket use and no more.

Give it a natural HA III coat, light knurling, not crazy agressive stuff. Recessed or offset keyring so it can set upright with keys attached. A super shallow reflector allowing for excellent spillbeam and a relatively hot hotspot but I don't long for yards and yards of throw in a keychain light. Either a wide spot or a narrow flood would be ideal for me. Switching could be a double dented twistie. First level about comparable to the Infinity Ultra (or even a little less) and the second level a hair under the Nuwai Quantum III. Maybe 200 and 1500 respectively on Quickbeams chart. And a nice mineral glass or pyrex lens.

If someone could make a light like this on par with Peak build and machining quality for under $75, I think they'd have a winner.

lymph

Enlightened
I agree that a CR2 light with a lux3 would be great. I'm willing to pay for CR2 batteries on a keychain light. I don't use a keychain light for extended runs, so I probably wouldn't have to replace the batts so often. I have other EDC options for extended use and/or blinding throw.

For me, a keychain light is a great back-up or "where's that keyhole?" light.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really would like to make more custom splash ano lights but the cost is way too high now. It costs me $80.00 per light now. My original anodizers doesn't do them anymore. He says it is just not worth it.

I guess you all know something about Imago that I don't.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

You can get all the info you want/need in CPFU. Better refresh yourself with all the relevant info before you get sucked in.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chris,

The flat shape seems very interesting... you may need to round the corners a bit. I would like to see one of those. 3 watter for good tint, and a high/low option. There also might be room for a Li-Poly battery pack.

Tom