Excel graphs/charts help needed

bhds

Enlightened
Need some help creating an excel chart/graph of investment equity curve. Something similar to a runtime chart.
y axis = dolar value, x axis = calendar date. Data is in 2 columns of excel spreadsheet. Been pulling my hair out trying to become an excel "expert" the last couple of days!
Any help would appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
bhds

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try using your mouse to select the numbers and dates in the two columns (do not select the titles of the columns). Click on one cell and drag your mouse till the black highlight covers the data you want to include in the graph.

On your top toolbar, next to the 100% (zoom setting) there should be a graph icon that looks like a little bar chart. Click it, choose line graph, select a style. Your previously selected data should be auto-loaded into it for you. From there you can tweak the various options to customize the finer points of your graph, but you will have your basic graph.

Hope this helps..

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click the new chart icon (or choose Insert...Chart)

in chart type, choose X-Y (scatter)

Next comes the source data. Click on the Series tab.

Click Add

Type in the name you want in the name field.

Click the little icon next to the "X Values" field (this should make the dialog go away temporarily, and a selection window appear), then drag-select the cells you want for the X-axis (the date range in your case), the selection window should still be there. Hit enter. The main chart dialog should come back.

Do the above step, buf for the Y-Axis data.

Click next, then finish your chart as usual (title, axis labels, etc).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Right-clicking on the graph will bring up different options to modify it. These secondary menus are "sensitive" in the sense that a different one comes up depending on where you right-click (eg. if you want to change the X-axis, the secondary menu has different options from what you get if you want right-click on the background, etc.)

bhds

Enlightened
Yess! Thanks guys. I finally got it. The x-y scatter was what I was looking for. Also, I was selecting both columns of data and trying to create a chart in one step. Now to figure out why my equity curve looks like the runtime chart for a mini mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need help with excel formulas/graphs or anything associated with excel go to www.mrexcel.com and go 2 their forum. True excel gurus in there.

Doug