Arc LS or E2E with KL1 - or both ?!

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I've ordered an E2E but would like a LED light also. Should I wait for the KL1 head or go ahead and buy an LS. My wallet says wait for KL1 but the obsessive within says get both......
I'm probably asking the wrong people!!!!!!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask the question either or both on this forum, you're going to be told to get both everytime. If you can hold on for a couple more weeks, you might get updated info on the KL1. A few people have said it will be the ultimate low dome luxeon star light. Another thing to consider is the packaging. The tail cap switch of the E1 is nice but the Arc LS in 123 battery pack is the ultimate in compactness and is much easily pocketable then the E1 in my opinion.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the portability you want. The ARC LS is half the size of even the E1 w/KL1. The Arc LS version 2 will be out soon too.
wink.gif

You need both.
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I donno? You have a AAA? If not the answer is to get both the Arc LS and AAA to go with your E2e
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are strong suggestions that the KL1 will be out in a couple of weeks.

What you get with the E1e/E2e + KL1 is refinement. In terms of switching (LOTC Pressure Switch), PocketClip for secure, easily accessible carry, and the KL1 with real regulation gives you higher output and maintains it.

If you get both, I bet you'll end up shelving your ArcLS1 or trying to get rid of it.

Al

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with Al The Arc LS is still in its infancy and it is not a mainstream light yet. Peter G. is working on bugs and has done a fantastic job in taking care of his customers but he even makes mention on his website that it is a product in its early stages.... I say sit it out and wait for KL1

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Size15s:
What you get with the E1e/E2e + KL1 is refinement.
If you get both, I bet you'll end up shelving your ArcLS1 or trying to get rid of it.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ROFLMAO - didn´t we had that issue lately with "Surefire is the best - f*ck the rest" - and now comes this very strong statement about a not-yet-shipping product to be "refined" (´cause I guess all SF are refined - by definition) - and that another shipping-for-a-year-already-product will certainly be "shelved or gotten rid off"

Al - I didn´t posted on that thread - besides having my own points towards the issue - but this does so very much substantiate the points brought up then --- so why not just rename this part of CPF into "General Surefire Discussion Forum" ?
grin.gif

Oh - and BTW - I do own (besides certainly too many flashlights in general) a SF E2E and ARC LS - and I do use the ARC LS far more often than the SF - and for me I see no reason to go out and buy the KL1 head (price ? Can´t you buy an ARC SLS for it ?).

Regards

Klaus

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve - wait it out a bit unless you have a pressing need for a luxeon light. The KL1 may not turn out to be everything it's cracked up to be. I'd wait until some reviews are in.

If you've already got the E2, then a luxeon bezel would be a handy add on, if you don't mind footing the bill for those expensive lithiums.

OTOH, the ARC runs on several different battery configurations, is regulated (is the KL1 regulated? Al? I havn't been keeping up with it...), and is field proven.

I sincerely doubt that Surefire is putting as much research into Luxeon LED lighting as Peter is doing over at ARC. That's just about ALL Peter is doing. Surefire has a lot more than Luxeons on their plate, so there may be bugs to be worked out when the KL1 first comes out.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we will just have to wait and see...if you can stand the wait. If not the Arc is the only option. We don`t know what the price of the SureFire will be. Could be a deciding factor.

Ken

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure that the retail of the KL1 is about $50. The two units are different animals and will both have their place in my flashlight quiver. Let's not forget that the LS2 is just on the horizon as well.

Battery flexibility is an important factor in Arc's favor that should not be overlooked. An add-on bezel for a fantastic light body (the Ex series) provides a big check mark in the KL1 column.

No question that they'll both be worth having. Yes, I'm going out on a limb here, to predict that the LS AND the KL1 can coexist.

I'll take that bet, Al
wink.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
The ARC sLS is on my key chain. It is the second bulkiest item there--my Chevrolet alarm/door opener is bulkier.

I also have an Arc AAA LE on my keychain. I use these more often than the SF E2e that is in my other pocket. The SF is harder to get out (have to remove wallet first) and its runtime/cost make me think twice about grabbing it--though I won't hesitate when I need it.

I've been thinking that the A2 (if the added length doesn't bother you) would be great BUT I'm not sure it would replace my Arc sLS. The A2, however, in my opinion, would perhaps be even more useful with a 100 lm HOLA than the 60 lm SOLA. I don't see the need for a LOLA in the A2.

The A2 is on my look-at-it-and-possibly(ha)-buy list. The KL1 is not as I don't want another E2e or E1e and I like the diversity of tools of having both the LS and the incandescent available at a moment's notice.

It's sort of like big tool kits come with dedicated screwdrivers, smaller tool kits come with interchangeable-blade screwdrivers. I like the dedicated approach. Also, carrying the components and changing them in the field offers challenges. The lights (3) are on my person all the time (I work on the 10th floor of an office building). They are not on my desk or in my office (the spare 123s and LA for the E2e are in my office in my shoulder bag).

Cheers,

Richard

Saaby

Flashaholic
[begin sick sense of humor]
The SF is harder to get out (have to remove wallet first)

Yeah, if I had a Surefire I'd probably set it up for "pre pay" too

[/sick sense of humor can not be stopped]

wink.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if the KL1 blows the Arc LS away in beam quality, I wouldn't "shelve" the LS. The Arc LS with 123 pack is so pocketable, it's no worse then having a pack of mints in the pocket.