Sending light to Iraq, what USPS Shipping method?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a marine buddy in Iraq and I will be sending him a Surefire A2, spare bulb, and 24 SF123s. I was wondering if it makes a difference if I use 1st class or Priority?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sending light to Iraq, what USPS Shipping meth

i'm not sure how it works internatially, but within the US, it's really not much of a difference @ all. i find, for the most part, packages i send 1st Class get there as fast as Priority.
however, you are a bit more likely to run into trouble with 1st Class shipping, for whatever strange Postal Service reasons.
Priority also gets you a free box to ship your things in.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can't use 1st Class or Priority outside the USA. You're best option is either regular Airmail or the larger ($9) Global Priority Flat rate envelope. Be advised that shipping 123s is technically a no-no though.

Peter

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh yeah! Peter's right. you can't use delivery confirmation outside of the US either. probly a number of other things too.

you can actually go to www.usps.com and use their postage calculator to find out how much it'll cost and how long it should take to ship.

batterystation

Enlightened

OK here it is. We do this all the time.

If it is an actual military address such as an APO or FPO, then you can use the priority mail or any other method. The cost is the priority rate (or other method) to the coast depending on the zip code. Very reasonable. Once it hits the coast, it is out of the post offices hands and in the hands of the military. We have found that boxes to Iraq (Hellfire Squadron) have taken two weeks like clockwork to reach the troops.

Important notes are no delivery confirm available as stated previously AND you have to use the white duplicate customs form with plastic envelope, so I recommend a slightly larger than needed box as this form is half the size of a sheet of paper and will need to be stuck on by the post office. These forms were not needed until 9-11. They just want to know what is in the box. If shipping batteries, NOTE "non-hazardous" on the customs form too.

Pretty simple really and a VERY uplifting experience for the receiver of the item. We have sent lights, batteries, magazines (no dirty stuff), coffee, cookies, jerky, etc. all with no difficulties at all.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, it will be going to a FPO so I will be sending it regular mail since I live in CA.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shipping CA to CA APO...regular mail will take a day or two--Priority will take just as long. Whatever is cheaper...

Latest posts