Whitest and brightest

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sorry to post a new topic on such a simple question, but i coulndn't find a definitive answer anywhere else.

what is the whitest and brightest 5mm led currently available? i would like to know model number, manufacture, rank, and anything else if possible. I would also like to know of a good place to purchase these in orders of 30 or less. thank you

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh, i suppose i should also say that i want as narrow of a beam as possible.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
You want a nichia NSPW500BS, brightness rank S
For a warmer white, you want b1 color rank. For a hoter, blue white, you want b2 color rank.

This is the LED of choice by almost all of the flashlight manufacturers using 5 mm white LED's.

Okie

Newly Enlightened
Edit...I'll get this edit thing right eventually.
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
how can i tell if it is a b1 or a b2? the s at the end means that it is an s-rank right?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he is searching for bare 5mm LEDs, right?

I believe the brightest right now is 12cd. In comparison, the first instances of the Trek7 and I believe, even the current Photon IIs use 5.6cd LEDs.

McGizmo has mentioned the colour ranking which is important because colour will influence how bright we percieve an LED to be.

I hope someone with his finger on the industry will be able to chime in soon, and also mention the rated voltage and current draw for these new LEDs.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
also, i'm having a difficult time finding these things, http://www.whiteleds.net was said by many to be the best place to purchese these leds, but it appears to be down, or maybe it is just me...saw some on matched oneson ebay which would have been -Really- nice, but someone by the name of blmikey snatched them. each bid was only for 10 of them, but that would have been a good start.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Rothrandir,

There was a post about a new Cree that is supposedly brighter as it has a narrower beam angle. The S rank of Nichia NSPW500BS is their brightest rank sold in the US. If you can't find the LED's anywhere else, e-mail me. If you can do pay pal, I can spare up to 30 of the NSPW500BS-b2S for $1.50 if you are interested. Priority mail is $3.85.

- Don