If you own a Pelican Big D Lead-Acid...

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have something for you.
Spare bulb, that is. Our station got a large sample /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif of spare high-output bulbs. I got two or three extra. Free to anyone with BigD. Must provide proof of ownership Big D Lead-Acid.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FC.,

I just ordered one from Greg at Bright Guy. It should be here next week.

Tell me more about the bulbs.

As I understand it, there is a high power and a low power one that comes with the lantern. Are yours higher - high power?

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FC.,

I was wondering about that.

I'll let you know when it arrives. It should be here in the next few days.

I am expecting the beam to be a flood, with some throw. It should be similar to the LiteBox beam.

What do you think of it?

Tom

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nothing like a Litebox. It is identical to Surefire M6 with high-output bulb, but quite a bit brighter.
You need a bulb? Shoot me your address.

standard.jpg

avusblue

Enlightened
I'd love one, many thanks! PM sent.

Extracted from my PM, for the benefit of other CPF'ers:

"Hi, I have a Big D Lead Acid (based in no small part on your recommendation in this thread back in August) and really enjoy it. If you still have lamps, I'd love 'em. Let me know if I can PayPal you something to cover your postage.

One unusual thing: My original Big D lens got a "melt mark" in it. Has that happened to you in your extended usage? I called Pelican and they mailed me a replacement lens right away. The woman on the phone was very friendly and helpful, she said they hadn't heard of that happening before. I asked if they wanted me to send back the bad one, and she said no need.

Also, have you tried the low power "backup" lamp? I haven't, but am wondering how much more runtime it would have in exchange for reduced (hopefully not totally "worthless", despite your comment:)) brightness. I would consider using it if I could get, say, three hours out of the battery -- would come in handy when working on a project in the garage and using it to illuminate the underside of a vehicle.

Anyways, thanks!

Dave

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FC.,

PM sent.

This thing is bright. Even on a partially discharged battery, it really puts out the light.

I tried the low power bulb. It is less than spectacular /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but not all that bad... I should have tried it before the high power bulb. 600 lumens for 1 hour - I can live with that.

Dave,

The low power bulb is 290 lumens and is supposed to run for 2 hours.

Tom

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALL gone. All that PM'd me(Tom, Larry, Dave), your bulbs are on the way. Regular mail.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FC.,

Thanks.

I have noticed that my light is a bit rocky when I set it up on the tail end. It seems the spring clip that holds the battery in is not quite flush. I only notice this when I set it down on a hard surface. On the ground, everything is OK.

This is not a big deal because the lamp rotates nearly 180 degrees.

Tom