DX.com

Thread: Reccomendation for best overall light

Unenlightened

Default Reccomendation for best overall light

Hi all new guy here, can you recommend a luxeon based
    light(s) that is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] the best average between throw & flood at each end of the price spectrum.

Thx

Default Re: Reccomendation for best overall light

Purhaps a Longbow? Its not the cheapest by any means, but you can customize it with different relectors, optics, PR head.

Cameron

Flashaholic*

How about a 3d mag converted to lux3 running direct drive? You didn't specify non-mod...

Probably one of the best lights for a non-flashaholic.

Mark

Unenlightened

I done a search thru the threads, but I only have limited time on the pc, so I was wondering if someone could point me to where the longbow would be available. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thx

Unenlightened

Sorry all

Let me be more specific, I'm looking for no larger than 2AA, Preferably 2-123 sized. Can be custom or mass produced

Thx again

Well, at under $40, I'd imagine the Nuwai Quantum III would be pretty tough to beat on the lower end of the price scale. And though I haven't actually seen one, the Quantum I would probably be very smilarly good for a few dollars less. If you don't might a longer light, the Inova XO is pretty cool for under $50.

On the higher end, I've looked over most of the info out there and haven't found what I'm looking for. The closest would be the Surefire L2 but I don't care for what it looks like at all. And I think it could be smaller. I'd like a 2x123 light, preferably just slightly smaller than the Inova X5T running a hard driven Lux 3 light that has at least two power settings. It would have a tailpiece that had two detended 'tighten down' points and then a clickie. The high power level would be about 80 lumens and the low would be about 5 lumens.

Flashaholic

Hard to go wrong with a streamlight 2L 3watt task light 70.00 at Bright Guy will give you a high and low beam.

On the other end you could get a Surefire L2 for 150.00 or a U2 for 270.00 both have a high and low beam, (with the U2 having several) Bright"]http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR51008]Bright Guy[/url]

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    cratz2 said:
    Well, at under $40, I'd imagine the Nuwai Quantum III would be pretty tough to beat

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can you get a QIII for under $40? I've been looking for a good deal on one of these.

Thanks,
    Ken

here's a link to countrycomm that has the QIII under 40.00

http://www.countycomm.com/TM303XLEDLIGHT.htm

Flashaholic

Thanks for the link. I forgot to check County Comm. This has definitely piqied my interest.

How consistent is the color of these LEDs? I'd hate to get a puke green one.

Thanks again,
    Ken

Hmmmm staying away from "Low end/High end"...I have to say take a good look at an Inova T2 for "spill coupled with throw". Quality build/tough, lifetime warranty, fair price, won't "kill the wallet" if something happens to it.

I just got 2 last week. They both came with "SV0K" Stars. One had a greenish tint, and the other was nice and white.
    So pretty much a lottery. It would be easy to change stars though.

How about the Pelican M6 LED? ($45 here )

[ QUOTE ]
    vtunderground said:How about the Pelican M6 LED? ($45 here )

[/ QUOTE ]
    --------------------
    Couldn't pass up the thread again without saying "ditto" here on the PM6! I forgot about that one!

Flashaholic

Has anyone tried to use the QIII with the Rechargeable Li-Ion battery that Battery station sells for $15? I'm very interested in this combo.

Thats my setup, Much brighter than a regular cr123.

Unenlightened

Thanks for all the advice, I've done some searching & I think that the T-2 & SL 3W are along the lines of what I may be looking for, I've read some threads on the Aleph system, which head if any would fall into what I am looking for. Once again thanks for all the advice.

Flashaholic*

Hello loopy.

The Aleph 1 would be the best combination of throw and flood in the Aleph series. The Aleph 2 is more flood (does have throw though). The Aleph 3 has tremendous throw. You have to use it outside to appreciate it. Using it inside does not demonstrate its full ability.

Being a newbie, actually, or being a flasholic, the Aleph series is an amazing place to start.

My recommendation
    Low end- Princeton Tec

High end- Custom made - Mr Bulk, Chop (Aleph), go to the custom page to see a list of all modders.

Good luck,
    fleegs

Unenlightened

Thanks Fleegs for the breakdown on the Aleph heads, just one more question [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I know that there is a two stage twisty switch available, but is there a two stage clicky switch made? (hope these are the right terms)

Regards
    Loopy