• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Replacement head for SF L2 ?

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all-

Idea:
Im interested in a McGizmo replacement head(aleph 2?)for my SF L2. I love the light as is but if possible id like to get more throw and a brighter hotspot.

Options:
Ive gave the SF U2 & L5 a thought but I found my L2 was able to hold it's own against them both. plus id be giving upalot in size for a small increase in throw. IMO: U2 & L5 were not worth it.

concerns:
Im a LEO and use rely on my light on a daily basis so reliability/run time is a concern.

FYI: I made an honest attempt to read the FAQ before posting but found it a bit too technical to figure out exactly what would be best for my needs so im open to suggestions?
J.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno if that'd work - I don't believe the L2 head's an E-series, which means you'd need to get it done custom... and with the circuitry in the L2....

But I'm not the best person to ask on the subject. Another reflector MIGHT do the trick, but I don't know if there's enough room to fit one in.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the L2 is anything like an L1, it can be done. A custom can would need to be turned, but you could use an A1 or A3 head. The A1 would be a nice improvement actually giving you some throw. The A3 would be a big improvement, at the expense of diameter. I think the A3 is about 1.75" in diameter. As for runtime, what you have now, is about what you'll have after the mod. I believe the converter is housed in the body, like it is on the L1. If it isn't then it'll be even easier. I'd need to see the light.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony,

Your intuition is correct. You just need to build a dumb can with slightly different dimensions than the standard ecan. I believe that the dumb can needs to be a little bit taller (and the lip needs to be correspondingly thicker) to make proper contact. Of course, I don't have the proper dimensions on hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The driver is inside the body (which is why the L2 is so long compared to the E2). I don't believe anyone has yet figured out how to boost its output (or that of the L1 driver, for that matter).

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info fellas, much appreciated.

Ok, so it looks like the L2 will need more work than expected. I really didnt want to mod the stock head, I was really hoping there was something that would allow me to "screw on and go".

How about the L4? is there a high performance head i can just screw-on & go? and maybe a 2 stage tailcap? If so, how much of an improvement can i expect to get out of this little sucker?

Again thanks for helping me out.
cheers
J.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetrider,

I was talking about a screw it on and go mod. All of the modifications would need to be done to the new head. The light would be left stock and the mod would be fully reversible by simply putting the stock head back on the light.

I know I can do it, the problem is what's it worth to you? You'd need to have machine work done and I don't work cheap. You might be better off just getting an Aleph light with a two stage switch. If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd be looking at $60 to $80 in labor alone.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, those above are just my estimates. You might be able to find another, more than capable modder, to do it for less.

Darell

Flashaholic
Or... you might be able to find somebody who couldn't possibly do it - and would charge quite a bit more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Likethese guys have stated, you can have a "dumb" LE made for the L2 hosting. This LE could be transfered from the three Aleph heads at will, depending on your beam requirements.

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
Can you directly use an L1 head on an L2? Are the threads and connections compatible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, wont fit. different body & thread sizes

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
I would like to thank all who responded your info was very helpful. im now looking into a custom Aleph.

CPF is a very cool place!