Received Reactor with new switch mechanism.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday the postman came with my replacement CMG Reactor.
I sent my original one back as there was a fault with a few of the first ones regarding the solder joint connections (flickering).

The one they sent me has the new and improved switch mechanism and I have to admit to me it seems a lot better.
Unlike the first ones it will not keep turning in the same direction, basically the "On" position is now in the middle and you can turn it either side to turn it off, but you can not turn it further.

I quite like the new mechanism as it basically means you twist from one side to turn it on and the other side to turn it off, you decide if the "On" position should be clock wise or anti-clock wise.

Personally I would have liked to have paid a little more and had one that was completely aluminium rather than the plastic head but there you go.

The thing that really surprised me was the beam.

The first one I had was much like the one Craig had taken photos of on the LED Museum, to me it kinda looked like a dirty fish tank, this one by contrast is really white and seems a lot brighter.

To be honest I don't know if I was just lucky with this one or if they hand picked me a white one but either way this is one light I'll be holding on to.

Oh, I'd better say I am running the Reactor on Lithiums but then I was also running the fist one in Lithiums.

I think it's a shame that some of them have a problem with the beam colour, at least they have improved the switch (IMHO).
I hope they can get them all shipped with the same beam colour as my new one because for the price this seems like a good little light.

What I'd like to see is a Reactor Mk2, made totally of aluminium and regulated.

I guess I should also say that the customer service from CMG was very good, it was only two weeks ago that I shipped them back my old one, bearing in mind that's from Denmark I recon that's pretty good going.

Grummond.
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly concur with the turn around. That is extremely speedy. At least CMG is targeting the more mainstream with this. It might be a nice alternate for the Arc LS.

I just got my LS on Friday. Talk about a premium quality flashlight! Of course you pay for that kind of quality. I put a single AA in the 1AA pack, screwed on the head till it turned on, and my eyes nearly popped out of my head, it was so bright!

Those Luxeons are awesome. Two Lithium AAs in series have a voltage of 3.66 Vdc before load. Pretty close to three NiMh or NiCads, volt wise.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
I seriously considered getting a CMG Reactor, but because the beam quality is such a crapshoot, I decided against it. If not for that potential problem, I'd probably be the owner of one right now. I went with the Inova X5, which I should have by early next week.

I wonder why some companies think people will be eager to buy their products when the best they can promise is that the items might be good. Strange way to do business.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just got a new Reactor. The "rotten dog urine" color is gone, and it has a positive lock-off mechanism built into the switch. Like Grummond's version, the "on" detent is in the center when lock-off is not engaged, and you turn it to either side to turn it off. But if you keep turning, it will pop into a much stiffer detent which essentially locks the unit off so there is zero chance of it "going off" in a bag or backpack. From lock-off, you can turn it either direction to unlock it and use it.

In normal operation (off-on-off) it can be used one-handed, but you'll need both hands to put it in lock-off or remove it from lock-off.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Oh Heck,
I originally wrote "Unlike the first ones it will not keep turning in the same direction, basically the "On" position is now in the middle and you can turn it either side to turn it off, but you can not turn it further."
I read Craigs post last night ran upstairs grabbed my Reactor and twisted a little harder and yes my one has the lock-off as well.
icon15.gif

Hmmmmm..
rolleyes.gif

I agree there is no chance if this turning on once in the lock-off position.
Oh well, you learn something new everyday.
Grummond.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how do I contact CMG about replacing mine? It is definately the older style with no off detent...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have a new style reactor as well. I should be posting a review in the next few days. Beautiful light output - not green at all.

The way people were talking, I thought the head only rotated back and forth between two points, but it actually rotates 360 deg in either direction by rotating past the detents.

cmg_reactor_head.jpg

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how do I get mine replaced? Are there any visible differences between the old and new styles?

Anyone got a 800 phone number for CMG?

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
If you have an old-style Reactor, you can mail it to CMG Equipment explaining that you would like to upgrade to the "new" Reactor. Here is their address:

CMG Equipment
811 W. Evergreen
Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60622

Phone: 888.699.0622