Mag-Light Tail Cap is Stuck. Ideas?

scott

Enlightened
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mom-in-law asked me to replace the batteries in her D cell Mag-lite. She couldn't unscrew the tail cap. Neither can I. I've tried tapping it with screwdriver handle, running it under hot water, penetrating oil, and even a pipe wrench. I couldn't have put more muscle into the pipe wrench, but was beginning to really mess up the surface. I'm out of ideas. Any help before I take the wrench to it again.

(This seems like a good excuse to get her a nice LED light for Christmas.)

Scott

14C

Enlightened
Get the LED light...take a sledge hammer to the M@G!

But you could try to heat the thing - gently and carefully - with a propane torch before putting a wrench back on it.

But seriously get an LED light.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Cut your losses and buy a Surefire... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It sounds like the threads have galled if a pipe wrench can't turn the tailcap (if that's the case, there is not much hope). If 14C's suggestion doesn't work, then I suggest you really consider just replacing the jammed m@g.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like old batteries corroded and locked it up. Pitch it and get her a new one -- on sale for around $15 at Lowes. Good opportunity to upgrade her (flashlight, that is). Keep the reflector -- you can sputter it (the're several threads about sputtering) and really improve the beam of another Mag. Or somebody here will probably buy it for a couple of bucks.

Another option (and I've only read about it, not done it personally) is to open it and verify the brand of battery and send it to the battery company with a request to replace the light ruined by their batteries.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I recently had a transmission plug stuck so tight I twisted a cheap 1/2 to 3/8 converter. I called around and someone told me to use PT blast at Oreillys auto. I sprayed it on, tapped it with a hammer lightly a few times waited 5 mins did it again a total of 3 times and lo and behold I got it loose. Before I had done this I also took it to a quick lube type place and the guy there couldn't budge it either.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott....

I wholeheartedly agree with Lynx Arc on trying "PB Blaster" loosening oil. It`s some of the best stuff on the market.

And here`s my two cents on your dilemma:

1) Buy several cans of PB Blaster. (You`ll discover that you can never have too much of it.)

2) Carefully line up the PB Blaster cans near the strong vise that I`m sure is already installed on your workbench. (Be sure to get all of the labels on the cans facing the same direction.)

3) Put the M*g into the jaws of the vise.

4) Then, with as much strength as you can muster, crush the living "you-know-what" out of the M*g. (This step is REALLY important...so be sure to repeat it several times.)

NOW...when you`re done, you`ll have several cans of unused PB Blaster, all nicely lined up, ready to go for your future projects, and you can then buy a nice replacement LED flashlight for your mother-in-law.

You`ll be a shining hero in her eyes, of course, as well as in the eyes of all of the other members of the family unit that you married into.

BOY...what a great opportunity you have here. You lucky guy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McShawn

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Carpe Diem said:
Hi Scott....

I wholeheartedly agree with Lynx Arc on trying "PT Blaster" loosening oil. It`s some of the best stuff on the market.

And here`s my two cents on your dilemma:

1) Buy several cans of PT Blaster. (You`ll discover that you can never have too much of it.)

2) Carefully line up the PT Blaster cans near the strong vise that I`m sure is already installed on your workbench. (Be sure to get all of the labels on the cans facing the same direction.)

3) Put the M*g into the jaws of the vise.

4) Then, with as much strength as you can muster, crush the living "you-know-what" out of the M*g. (This step is REALLY important...so be sure to repeat it several times.)

NOW...when you`re done, you`ll have several cans of unused PT Blaster, all nicely lined up, ready to go for your future projects, and you can then buy a nice replacement LED flashlight for your mother-in-law.

You`ll be a shining hero in her eyes, of course, as well as in the eyes of all of the other members of the family unit that you married into.

BOY...what a great opportunity you have here. You lucky guy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL That was funny, but really their is no hope for the light, even if you get it open, I doubt it will be salvagable.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about that, some of the more frugal members of my family would be seriously disappointed if I "destroyed" something of that kind of value. .

What kind of flashlight user is your mom?? Where does this flashlight stay?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi McShawn...

I apologize for the confusion I created in my directions to Scott. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

When crushing the M*g in the vise, it`s important to start that process at the bezel end...so that the bezel is quickly flattened like a pancake. Only then should you proceed with the "crushing/flattening" process with the rest of the light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Reptilezs...

You`re so correct. Thanks for helping me out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I`ll now edit accordingly.

As you get older, BTW, the refrain in what I believe is an Iris DeMint song rings truer and truer: "Easy" is getting harder every day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mags Suk...

A belated "Welcome Aboard"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Watch out, BTW...before you know it, you also will be "OLD"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best wishes to you.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be a contrarian and say that its worth getting the tailcap open by whatever means possible. Then you can send the light and dead batteries to whichever battery company it was and they'll give you the $20 or so it costs to buy a Mag at full MSRP.

Thats all assuming that the batteries aren't el cheapos...

Mark

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Scott is trying to do a favor for someone, and all some people say is destroy it. Not cool or helpful in my opinion. Scott, if you know what kind of batteries are in it, just send it to the battery company for replacement. If not, place it in a vise with some rubber around the Mag to protect the finish. Get it as tight as you can in the vise without crushing it. Then use locking pliers (vise grips)with rubber on the tips (if possible), to get the cap off. Even if you end up screwing up the light in the process, you may still be able to send it back to the battery manufacurer, since the Mag was ruined by the batteries in the first place. Just explain the situation, and how you were unsure what batteries were in there.
To everyone else, next time you have a problem with one of your lights, I bet you won't want to hear unhelpful, sarcastic, wasteful "solutions".

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
I don't know about that, some of the more frugal members of my family would be seriously disappointed if I "destroyed" something of that kind of value. .

What kind of flashlight user is your mom?? Where does this flashlight stay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your statement about destroying something of value, but is that what we have here? He's already taken a pipe wrench to it without success. In my opinion this light no longer has any value, especially when you can get a replacement so cheap. How much do you value your time?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If I knew how thick the end cap of a mag was I would say tap 4 #10 screwholes in it and screw a piece of metal on the end so you can get a grip on it without tearing the body up. This would leave holes in it after you finish but you could fill them with something later... even body putty and some paint would do.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys...
Guys...
Guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I sorry my flippant comments are being taken so literally.

I tried to confirm the value of trying PB Blaster, and then tried to simply interject some humor along the lines of view that at least "several" of us have of M*g. But please...go ahead and salvage as many M*g lights as you wish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott.... good luck to you in trying to save the `ol family heirloom!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif