Portable generator hookup

bhds

Enlightened
Unfortunately I have had the pleasure of using my new yamaha portable generator today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyone know of a feed thru connector that I could install in the wall? Basically a female connector on the outside wired to a regular wall socket on the inside. Do they make kits for this?

Thanks,
bhds

watt4

Enlightened
you don't wanna run the extension cord through the kitchen window, and seal the gap with duct tape? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

external electricity outlets (female) are fairly common, i think. but wouldn't you want a male connector on the outside of the building, to run power into the building from a small generator?

riscfaktor

Newly Enlightened
Some RV's and semi trucks use a male connector for the external connection. If you insist on using a female connector for the outside, I'd go with an waterproof enclosure and a twist-lock receptacle. Then modify a dedicated extension cord, cutting off the female end and replacing that with a twist-lock male end.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
Are you looking for a standard 15a 120v plug?

If so you can put this together pretty easily. The trick is finding the male plug.

Check this and see if it might work - http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=5205&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

You should be able to mount that in an electrical box and run the wiring through to where ever. A standard extension cord will fit into the recessed male plug just fine.

I have one installed in the bumper of my F350 Diesel for the engine block heater.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
If you hooking into the house system, Home Depot sells whole installation kits that couple into the main panel. Start the genset and flip the switch and your on.

I have this setup in my house, the genset is installed in an outside enclosure, the starter battery is on a float charger and the whole thing is Natural Gas powered. I picked up a used 6kw genset used years ago for next to nothing and converted it to Natural Gas. If the power drops the genset starts automatically after 15 minutes. Since it's liquid cooled and NG powered, it can run indefinitly.

Al

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Al_Havemann said:
If you hooking into the house system, Home Depot sells whole installation kits that couple into the main panel. Start the genset and flip the switch and your on.

I have this setup in my house, the genset is installed in an outside enclosure, the starter battery is on a float charger and the whole thing is Natural Gas powered. I picked up a used 6kw genset used years ago for next to nothing and converted it to Natural Gas. If the power drops the genset starts automatically after 15 minutes. Since it's liquid cooled and NG powered, it can run indefinitly.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about wiring directly into the house but it would be a little overkill for the small portable gen that I have. Also, my house wiring is so old its downright scary even touching it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chris_Medico said:
Are you looking for a standard 15a 120v plug?

If so you can put this together pretty easily. The trick is finding the male plug.

Check this and see if it might work - http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=5205&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

You should be able to mount that in an electrical box and run the wiring through to where ever. A standard extension cord will fit into the recessed male plug just fine.

I have one installed in the bumper of my F350 Diesel for the engine block heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I am looking for! A friend at work suggested going to an RV supply store also. I just wish they made a kit designed specifically for installation in houses.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, thats a pretty good idea, guarantees that you're not going to get any CO pulled into the house through the cracks, or loose too much heat or AC or whatever while you're house is offline.

Mounting that plug that Chris linked to on the outside somewhere in an appropriate weather proof box should be easy and you can mount a regular electrical box on the inside with a regular plug. should be very easy to install.

I had to read your original email twice to make sure you weren't planning to just plug into the existing house wiring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That would be extremely dangerous, not to mention illegal. if you're going to do that you need a transfer switch, and if the electric company finds out that you hacked something they will just turn you off. they have no patience for that sort of thing.

but what you're doing sounds great and I think that I might do something similar with a small genset...

RussH

Enlightened
Boats use this type of power inlet too, although for boats they are usually locking 240v (4 terminal twist lock) 30 or 50 amp connectors. You can find straight connectors for RVs but note that the 30 amp is a special 120v plug - just get the 50 amp, 240v. 4 wire.

If you use a male power inlet, you will want to make sure you have a locking cover. One way or another, you have the exposed potentially powered male terminals to deal with. It's either in the power inlet or in the cheater (adaptor) cord. You can probably get a locking in-use cover which will also cover it when not in use, it just has room to run a cord in & still lock closed. Try West Marine, they probably have an online tutorial on the boat type power inlets.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
My bass boat has the connector like I linked to above to feed the onboard battery charger. You must have a very nice boat to need a twist-loc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think he was going to put a special circuit just to get the power from a portable generator through the wall and not connect it to the breaker panel. Just trying to avoid an extension cord from running through a door or window. That is a pretty good idea to run a light or two and maybe a TV.

Happy Holidays everyone!