News from the First World

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
As most of you know Im back from Iraq. What a nice change of pace the real world is from sand, bugs, and the smell of wet camels.

Anyhow, I got three days home before I had to run to Florida to deal with a critically ill parent.

As of last night, mom is resting in a nursing home and under hospice rules. In essence, keep her confortable, pain free, and no extensive life saving measures. Morphine, Xanax, and other drugs kids pay good money for every few hours.

This is what mom asked for years ago and it's her wish to expire w/o the beeps and noise from a lot of gizmos.

Older brother, sister, and myself have made peace with mom. The trouble is it's hard to tell a tender moment from a snooze event with someone so far gone.

Anyhow, for the rest of us life goes on. I know that sounds kind of cold but if I don't keep busy with things, I will fall into a funk that helps nobody.

The question.

Is it legal for me as a Virginia resident to buy long arms here in FLA. I know hand guns are out, but rifles or perhpas a nice shot gun.

Anybody on the board allowed to do a private sale this way, have something fun to sell?

I collect old Enfields (even have my type IV here if I can find a place to shoot) and will consider most anything interesting.

I don't get to a wireless hot spot every day, so please send reply to the e mail address [email protected] .

Making progress on the 'twitch factor'. Im not jumping at each thump any more, then again Ive developed an ear for the different kind of thumps there are in the real world.

Keeping in touch with my 'Army buddies'. It's silly but they are like an extended family.

Will be going to Ron Jon's surf shop (on A1A near Coco Beach) and getting a bunch of branded sporting goods for them. Frisbees, voly balls, that kidn of thing. Yeah in Iraq, they got sand, but no beach. Perhaps they can pretend the drainage ditch breeding bugs is the beach. It's the best I can do. Anybody have a pile of old golf balls they want to send to Scania? Seems Maj. M. (one of the secfor guys) set up a driving range and got it written up into one of the major golf mags. I can get packages here in West Palm beach or send you some money to ship them directly.
That's the news from here.

Be safe guys and thanks again
Jack Crow in the first world.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back from Iraq, even if the immediate circumstances are less than joyous. My wife is a doctor and finds quite to her dismay that even though a persons doctors have known what was coming for a long time, often they have never brought up hospice care nor really discussed the impending issues with the family. Often she has to do it in the middle of the night after an ER visit with people who she doesn't know for a patient that she was just consulted on and doesn't really know. It's so much better if the family and the person themselves has had some say in the matter over the longer term. That doesn't make it any easier, but at least you're not learning it from a phone call in the middle of the night. I'll wish peace to you, your family and your mom.

As far as gun laws, I know that Florida and Virginia have reciprocity in their concealed carry laws. So it would make sense that Florida will honor your virginia license and sell you a rifle there. But then, gun laws often do not make sense at all, so I can't tell for certain. Shouldn't any gun shop be able to look stuff like that up for you?

theepdinker

Enlightened
My understanding is private party sales must be between residents of the same state.
Commercial sales can take place outside your home state if your home state cooperate
with the state the sale is taking place in.
Don't know how a private party sale handled through a FFL dealer would be handled.

James S is right though. Any dealer should be able to set you straight on local laws no problem.

Theepdinker

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
I have a box full of old golf balls! PM me the name and address and I will ship the box of balls and add some extra goodies.

Take Care!
Dave

MoonRise

Enlightened
CCW reciprocity has NOTHING to do with sales of either long guns or hand guns.

Per federal law, a person 18 years old or older can purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL in any state PROVIDED that state and local laws in both the selling area and the purchaser's home area are complied with.

Purchase from a private individual is restricted to your home state. To do an out of state purchase, the gun must first be transfered to an FFL in the buyer's home state.

A quick check of the NRA-ILA VA gun law summary and NRA-ILA FL gun law summary indicates that you, Mike, may be able to do the purchase through an FFL in Florida, who will do a NICS check before the sale.

DISCLAIMER: I ain't a lawyer, even if I was, I ain't your lawyer, and this advise is worth what you paid for it, ie NOTHING.

Go to a local FFL and ask.

Welcome back to the mostly real world Mike. Sorry to hear about your Mom.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,
Thanks for your replys. So far I have yet to find a place to shoot here. May end up asking law enforcment for advice.

Looks like guns are not to be leagally had here, oh well such is life.

I ordered an AK (semi auto) with a folding stock from my dealer in VA I want it to go with a battle flag I picked up in Iraq. IT will be for the most part a wall hanger and if it gets used twice per year that will be a lot.

Mom has stabalized in the last 48 or so. Eating more, somewhat more conversant, but still in snooze mode. Im finding fun things to eat. This morning it was Oreo pudding. Gotta keep trying.
Later kids.
Jack Crow in the first world.