Strangest Food?

Zackerty

Enlightened
What is the strangest or most unusual thing you have ever eaten?
Mine was a Puff Adder snake, a cup of tadpoles, and butter fried cockroaches.
I know that some guy ate a double decker bus years ago, so let's see what the rest of us bright sparks eat.

Stu

Zackerty

Enlightened
Gee, Fuel,
How are you feeling now?... what did the doctor say?... any side effects?... I hope you told someone that you might not be home any time soon... after a Mac Anything, I normally wash out my mouth with kerosene, and then I feel just fine... a BIG MAC, huh?... must tell my wife!

prego

Newly Enlightened
goat is good. i heard scorpions in china is pretty good too.

Reaper

Enlightened
Snake bladders and dog stew, though they don't count as strange foods in some countries.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
I try not to eat strange food /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ahhh, then you have not lived me boy!

When in Taipei, Hong Kong, Korea and Bangkok I had tons of "strange" food. Some of it was not so much strange, just different. But Dog and Snake Fried up Manchurian style was really good. I would not hesitate to eat it again. I hear Lion and ostrich is good too. I should think that its just a matter of time before I partake. I'm up for *almost* anything once.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
prego said:
ostrich steak medium rare is really good!

[/ QUOTE ]Man thats what I keep hearing. Im also hearing that there is a place here in NYC that serves up some os. If its true, i may just seek it out and try it.

prego

Newly Enlightened
If there's a place in your area that serves some then go for it. It really is worth it. Now I'm hungry for some ostrich.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strangest is relative...

Cow uterus, cow brains, Buffalo tongue, cow tongue, tripe (cow stomach) Rocky mountain oysters (both sheep and buffalo), RattleSnake, pufferfish, {at least that is what I was told it was,} (yeah, I know, REALLY STUPID), Ostrich (hamburgers and steak-AWESOME), Buffalo steak(also Awesome), emu (the bird), goat, goats milk, goat cheese, veal (yeah, I know, lots of people eat it, but you gotta admit, its strange!) fresh water eel, sturgeon (not very good, at least the stuff I had), caviar (also not my style), fried ants (crunchy, sort of like seasoned popcorn), fried grubs, fried grasshoppers, (both a little tasteless) locust with honey for desert, pomegranates (seen any lately, I haven't in years).

Thats a good start. I'll have to think some more.

Bill

OOPs, forgot escargot:)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Escargot.
That's fried snails if you don't know what it is.
Had that at the Juneau AK. airport in the mid-1980s.

Two other bizzare things I've tried are fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants. Had them in 6th grade as part of homework. :/

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me, emu, not kiwi. (You know all those big birds look the same to me!!) I knew it wasn't kiwi, but I've been up for something like 22 hours now and just spaced it!!

Bill

Oh yeah, ostrich eggs, emu eggs.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
goat's good. You should try fried eggs with strawberry jelly for breakfast... :p

[/ QUOTE ]

The eggs are actually surprisingly good. I prefer mine scrambled, then you put a little bit of jelly on top.

Chicken feet (PK is seen eating some of those in pictures on his site.. yum!), deep fried pork guts (make sure you go to a place that cleans it well before cooking. Some don't. Ask me how I know...), turtle soup with real turtle (it's quite chewy and sticks in your teeth). Goat's cheese (feta) is good too.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
prego said:
goat is good. i heard scorpions in china is pretty good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were ok, had some while I was really young...I remembered they were crispy like chips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There is also the scorpion wine that one could drink...but you could get poisoned if they wine maker didn't do a good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif