• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fence-sitters report here (Aleph content)...

Rkbarms2k

Newly Enlightened
I just received my A2-1x123-NG750-10ohm-Trimcap today (thanks Don) and let me tell you, if you're considering ordering an Aleph and just aren't sure yet, DO IT! You won't be sorry.
My previous experience with EDC lighting was most recently with the ARC LS then the ARC 4+. And prior to recieving this A2, I was concerned about it's extra length in relation to the 4+. But my assessment, now that I have the Aleph in hand, is that even though it's longer than the 4+, it's significantly more slender throughout the body, which makes it easily as pocket-able as the the 4+. Maybe more so, but I'll have to try it out for a couple of days before I go that far.
The bottom line is, gents, if you're scouring the forums for information on this piece, like I did for days before ordering, stop searching and take the plunge.
Thanks again Don.

Regards,
Andrew

Darell

Flashaholic
Seems that Don is pushing a lot of guys off the fence these days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

While the 1x123 Aleph is longer than the Arc4, I find it much easier to use and fit in the hand *because* of that extra length. I've never been able to hang onto my Arc4 comfortably.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there pocketclips for these available ? I really dislike having things stick out from my belt.

Geode

Enlightened
Congratulations, Rkbarms2k.

I agree with Darrel about the length of the Aleph 1x123 being easier to handle than the Arc. For a real easy to pocket package, attaching a Z-57 clickie makes the Aleph 1x123 perfect. Though the 2-stage capability is lost. If I could just figure out a way to attach a lanyard. . .

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Geode,
Not sure if it will be a viable solution for you or not but hopefully by Feb, there will be some 1xCR2 tubes available similar to the one shown below and if you are willing to cut down on run time, these tubes allow for reasonable pocket carry as well as lanyard attachment. The flange should also be a viable host for mounting a small pocket clip on as well. A proto below:

on-lanyard.jpg

In the final design, I believe I have allowed for a split ring that can mount to the flange and then lanyard to it or you can go "soft" attach. The tube will accept any of the E series switches including the Z57. It is shown with a "FT" two stage. These are in the works as well but with a "hair trigger" stroke between low and high levels, if the tolerances are not held properly by the machine shop, I may have a pile of pretty scrap and nothing to offer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

EXIT:

xochi, I am waiting on the manufacturer for some Ti clips and I think the combo of the holidays as well as a busy shop is working against me on them. I am not one to hound a supplier so in waiting, I be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the Aleph club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I made my first purschase from don a few months ago, and have not looked back. Anyone who is not sure about taking the plunge should do so, they will not regret it.

That will be one great light Andrew and it will give you many years of great service!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey , I just got off the fence. Snagged a pant leg in the process...

Geode

Enlightened
Don,

Your solution would indeed be helpful! Just let us know when these will be available - saves me from buying a E1e and throwing the head away.

StuU

Enlightened
My Aleph I is in the mail. Should be here tomorrow and I'm not waiting for xmas morning to play with it.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:
Hey , I just got off the fence. Snagged a pant leg in the process...

[/ QUOTE ]
Could have been worse, I guess - might have dropped your flashlight into the neighbor's yard.

javafool

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Geode,
Not sure if it will be a viable solution for you or not but hopefully by Feb, there will be some 1xCR2 tubes available similar to the one shown below and if you are willing to cut down on run time, these tubes allow for reasonable pocket carry as well as lanyard attachment. The flange should also be a viable host for mounting a small pocket clip on as well. A proto below:

on-lanyard.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Place me on the list for one of those in a 400mA NextGen. That is an awsome light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

Terry

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Darell, you hippie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! OT but I just checked out your web page. Pretty cool. I think it's neato keen that here at CPF we get the Grape Nuts hanging with the Rambo's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Disclaimer: The above comments were made in a good naturedly way anyone who busts my coconuts for bringing up stereotypes will be promptly ignored.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo,
Any chance of throwing something in the picture for scale? Like a grapefruit or something?

Flatscan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geode said:
Your solution would indeed be helpful! Just let us know when these will be available - saves me from buying a E1e and throwing the head away.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI, Chop mods Exe heads to take a LE and a SO17XA reflector. There's a little bit of length savings relative to the A2 head.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
xochi,
No grapefruit but perhaps this will help some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Line-Up.jpg

A modded E head will probably save you about 3/16" in length but you are loosing 3/16" of the "big" end of the McR20 in going with the the IMS so17xa reflector and that 3/16" reduction in reflector depth from the photon re direction program is a significant loss, IMHO.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I've done quite a few E head mods and where you loose "it" is in going with the IMS reflector, not necessarily the loss in length of the reflector. A McR20 that has been chopped down to fit into an E head with an LE outperforms the 17mm IMS reflector. You do get a tighter beam, although not as tight as a stock McR20, than you do with an IMS.

Whether the savings in length (A2 v. E head)is significant is completely subjective. The proper or most useful place for a modded E head is on a VG1 body which makes for a 3" light, if you can live without two stage switching. I personally don't think the length savings is worth it on a longer body.

All I can say (AGAIN) is that the McR20 is bad a$$.

For those of you that do not have an A2 yet and are looking for a pocketable light, the A2 will surely fit the need. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but it's probably the most useful of the Aleph lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tony,
I understand what you are saying and agree for the most part but nothing beats reflective surface area! With the same emitter and driver behind a chopped 20 mm and the full one I believe you will measure significant increase in lux both in the spot and spill portion of the beam. I think this is only a real issue for the more distant illumination needs but if one is willing to grant the real estate, reflective surface area can make more difference than the actual output of the light! At least that's todays conjecture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif