Maglite's In Hazardous Locations

Woody

Newly Enlightened
Maglite\'s In Hazardous Locations

Seems like I seen some posts in the past regarding Maglites being suitable for use in hazardous locations, however a search did not locate any posts.
The Maglite site doesn't say anything about this either. Does anyone know if they are approved for this purpose?
Thanks!
confused.gif

Daniel Abranko

Newly Enlightened
Re: Maglite\'s In Hazardous Locations

Maglites are most definitely NOT approved by MSHA, FM, UL or anyone else for use in any hazardous environments.
Flashlights that are approved by any of these agencies must carry their seal molded into the case.
Some lights that ARE approved are the ray-o-vac orange industrial lights in both 2D and 3D handheld and 6V lantern varieties, certain marked varieties of pelican lights, some streamlights and a few others. Approval is not always a function of price. The ray-o-vac handhelds are only 2-5$ but provide a wonderful, non shadowy medium width beam.
If you do intend on taking your light into a possibly hazardous environment, please use only the listed approved power sources and approved bulbs, since others may nullify the approvals.
-Dan

funk

Enlightened

I think the point is that metal flashlights are not considered safe in hazardous environments because if dropped on hard surface they create a spark.

I am not sure if Mag's are intrinsically safe or not - I remember some one telling me that they have the purge valve, but I can't find the answer on the website.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:
I think the point is that metal flashlights are not considered safe in hazardous environments because if dropped on hard surface they create a spark<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats not true. Many metals do not cause any sparks when they hit a hard surface. Actually there are metal lights with the Ex stamp.

funk

Enlightened

I don't think that the ex marking considers this position of dropped pieces of equipment creating sparks. There are numerous levels of certification in either way - as an example, you will never see a metal flashlight on oil rig. There are many organizations and businesses that will not buy a metal flashlight for numerous reasons despite ex markings. I know that there is some qualification for lens breakage for ex.
My understanding is that ex is based on explosive gas from the lamp or circuits.

I could be wrong, but I think that there is always a possibility for a spark - and that may be enough to know for most people.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:
.........I am not sure if Mag's are intrinsically safe or not - I remember some one telling me that they have the purge valve.........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Mag-Charger is intrinsic safety, according to the handbook. (I don't know what the rating system used is, or to what level.)
The D-cell lights use the tailcap O ring as the vent, not always very successfully.

lightlover

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

My understanding is that ex is based on explosive gas from the lamp or circuits.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'Ex' sign in a circle means that the device cannot ignite a specific explosive atmosphere (standardized). It does nothing say about fumes produces by the device. Actually, an 'Ex' protected flashlight is not necessarly airtight or waterproof. It is possible that the explosive gases enter the light, explode inside and damage the contens but do not ignite anything outside.
I had this example at engineer's school decades ago at an exam.
There are even Ex protected gas lights.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I could be wrong, but I think that there is always a possibility for a spark - and that may be enough to know for most people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are materials who may cause a spark and there are material who may not. I remeber when I made my exam for the blasting license there were a lot of regulations about using 'not spark causing' materials.

funk

Enlightened

I meant to say that it is in both ways..... gas within the lamp and gas outside of the lamps - this is why a purge valve is required within the construction of the lamp for use in flammable conditions in order to achieve the ex mark.
It is also why the lens and bezel must meet certain requirement as well.

Either way, I am glad that there is this level of requirements/directives for safety

JoeyL

Enlightened

Is there not also a consideration of a metal flashlight being electrically conductive and therefore a hazard where there are live wires nearby?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i would just go and buy a flashlight that is made for the hazardous environments such as the pelican lights.... they are very bright and they are rated for hazardous environments !! I love the output and the durability of the pelican lights !!!

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened

Last week I bought a SuperPeliLite, and I am very pleased with it. For under $20.00, I got a light that has a brighter bright spot than my $52.00 E2.