Strange observation of a P90 bulb shape

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first Surefire P90 I ever owned instaflashed and SF CS was very helpful in taking care of me. I did however keep the dead P90, since they declined my offer to ship it back to them for analysis, even though I said I'd pick up the tab for shipping.

I noticed something REALLY strange today. The replacement P90 they sent me, which has served very well for many, many hours of light under Project C2-90, has the typical sharp tip of Surefire 9V lamps. This is normal and it works great.

However, the other dead lamp has a ROUND tip. In fact, upon close observation, it looks EXACTLY like my P60s! Don't tell me that someone at the bulb manufacturing side made a mistake and accidentally labeled a P60 as a P90? The round-tipped, dead bulb has P90 markings and came to me fully packaged as a P90. It would also explain the instaflash - of course running a 6V bulb on a 9V power pack would kill it.

Not a complaint, just an observation I made today. I always thought P90s were sharp-tipped. This is definitely an unusual "P90" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P90's might have a better beam if they were round like the P60's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have at least 2 P90 (and probably 2 P91's as well) that are rounded. I think this an old vs new design thing.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
codeman said:
I have at least 2 P90 (and probably 2 P91's as well) that are rounded. I think this an old vs new design thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wrong - all of my P90/91's have pointed, un-frosted tips.