Got my first "good" light today *pic

Glock

Newly Enlightened
Got my first \"good\" light today *pic

Light.jpg

Got my first "good" light in the mail today from Battery Station. The Pelican M6 LED, also got the incand. lamp module so I can swap them out, 30 batteries too.

Merry Christmas to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got my first \"good\" light today *pic

Hold on to yer wallet!! Good first purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

An outstanding first light. The PM6 LED was my first Luxeon LED as well.

Robban

Enlightened

How do the incand compare to the LED? I have the incandescent version of it but debated for a long time wether or not I should go LED. I'm very impressed by its output so far.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

WooHoo! I got my M6 LED today also. Even in my well-lit office it throws a good beam. I'm going to like this one and I'm going to order from batterystation again!

Glock

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
WooHoo! I got my M6 LED today also. Even in my well-lit office it throws a good beam. I'm going to like this one and I'm going to order from batterystation again!

[/ QUOTE ]

The M6 Lithium lamp module was only $5 from Battery Station, it's a direct drop in, so you can have both the LED and the Incand. model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been playing with it since it arrived, the throw of the Incand. is very impressive. The LED is also very white and better beam quality than I was expecting. Very happy with this Pelican torch.

vtunderground

Enlightened

Good choice! Is that a spare battery pocket on the holster that comes with the light? I haven't seen that before.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes the pouch seems to have a small pocket for spare batteries.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Congrats, 'twas my first light too. Same setup with the incan as spare drop-in. I want a "sleeper" next!

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened

I got the pm6 for my first light too. Had I known you could just drop in the incan lamp into the led I would have gone that route too. damn I wish I had known that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is there anyway to buy the led and just drop it in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been thinking about this light for a while, now with the fact I can swap in and out an led for an incan, it's on my short list. VDG

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet light that... Congrats on your first luxeon!! Just as well you didn't get started on SF stuff (hint hint), there'd be no looking back then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and don't forget to do the customary 'blind yourself to see the spots' tradition... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif What? You mean that has never been a tradition here? Darn... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

BTW, what's the runtime like on the PM6 Led? Is it about 1 hour or so?

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rogue_monkey said:
40 hours on the pelican webiste, and 6 on battery station.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pelican website runtime turns out to be hogwash.

When one actually tests a Pelican M6 LED, you typically get 2 hours of decent brightness, followed by a few more hours of rapidly dimming light.

My personal PM6 LED typically will run about 1:45 minutes at respectable levels, and then it quickly nosedives to dim levels but still gives some "emergency" lighting after that.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the leads on the runtime, guys... 1 hour++ sounds about right, and reasonable enough for a light that bright... Sounds like maybe it could be 6 hrs in total, incl the declining level?

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:
How do the incand compare to the LED? I have the incandescent version of it but debated for a long time wether or not I should go LED. I'm very impressed by its output so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

The incandescent version produces superior output--at least twice as much to my eyes. Beam quality is not as good in the incandescent version--some minor artifacts--but compared to most lights the beam quality of the incandescent version is still very good. This lamp basically throws a wall of light, with both good throw and good spill.

The LED version is much whiter (none of the amber hue that the incandescent has), but much less overall light. The LED version has exceptional flawless beam quality--absolutely no artifacts in every single P6 LED I own. It tends to favor throw over flood, but even so the sidespill is plenty bright for indoor work.

Both are great bangs for the buck. The PM6 LED beam quality matches or exceeds many Surefire models (the PM6 Incandescent model comes close to matching some Surefire models), and for the price you get lots of performance. However, fit and finish is clearly a couple notches below Surefire--I'd definitely recommend Surefire over Pelican for those that can afford the added price.

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Thanks for the leads on the runtime, guys... 1 hour++ sounds about right, and reasonable enough for a light that bright... Sounds like maybe it could be 6 hrs in total, incl the declining level?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is:

For the incandescent PM6 model, 30 minutes of bright light, then a rapid decline. At one hour, my Incand PM6 is nearly dead.

For the LED version, 1:30-2 hours of bright light, then rapid decline with longer tail (emergency dim light) than the incand PM6.

Neither are regulated, but the LED version seems to dim less quickly.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

greenLED, what do you mean by a "sleeper". I thought a sleeper was any flashlight that was much much more powerful then it looks. For example hotwire mods to Mags.

phxntninja

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif $5 for two lights in one? The M6 LED was my first light, had it about a week and just gave it to a buddy of mine that is shipping of to Iraq. I was concerned that the LED wouldn't be bright enough for his purposes. I'll have to buy another LED for me and maybe two drop ins.

3 weeks ago I'm casually talking about getting a new flashlight with a friend. I come across CPF while doing research and hmm, what's this all about? Now I have 2 at home and 3 more on the way. It has to stop at some point, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif