• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

First Alpeh Purchase, Need Some Advise...

johnnieliu

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

First time poster, and somewhat of a flashlight newbie. I currently have a small collection of lights(PM6 LED, PM11, SF L5, SF G2) and I would like to add an Aleph to my collection. My requirements are the following in order of importance:

1. Throw(must throw longer, and brighter than my G2)
2. Must accept Pila 168s AND CR123's.
3. Size(must be smaller than my L5)
4. Decent runtime(30 mins of high intense light would be perfect)

After doing lots of reading, I think I've narrowed my choice down to the following: Aleph 1(27mm), NG1000, 2x123(must be 168S compatible), 60 ohm McE2S tailcap 2-stage switch.

But I still have some questions. Will the NG1000 perform better than the DB917 with Pila 168S'? Will I blow the LED? I was hoping to buy the Aleph 1 from "The Sandwich Shoppe" but the closet light that they to my desired configuration is an Aleph 1 with a DB917.

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JL

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all - welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I have an A3/DB917/2x123/60ohm. If throw is your primary consideration, the A3 head will do that best. You can use a 168S in it (I do too), but I don't think it runs in regulation. Thats no concern, as my eyes can't tell any difference when running 2x123 or 1x168S. I can't comment on the A1 as I don't have one, but they are somewhat more floody and less throwy than the A3, but more carry-able. Runtime either either battery is way in excess of your 30 minute minimum.

I'm sure the experts will chime in here shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And check out the sticky threads at the top of this forum if you have not already.

best regards

Flatscan

Enlightened
Re: First Aleph Purchase, Need Some Advise...

[ QUOTE ]
johnnieliu said:
1. Throw(must throw longer, and brighter than my G2)
2. Must accept Pila 168s AND CR123's.
3. Size(must be smaller than my L5)
4. Decent runtime(30 mins of high intense light would be perfect)

After doing lots of reading, I think I've narrowed my choice down to the following: Aleph 1(27mm), NG1000, 2x123(must be 168S compatible), 60 ohm McE2S tailcap 2-stage switch.

But I still have some questions. Will the NG1000 perform better than the DB917 with Pila 168S'? Will I blow the LED? I was hoping to buy the Aleph 1 from "The Sandwich Shoppe" but the closet light that they to my desired configuration is an Aleph 1 with a DB917.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you run a P60 or P61 in your G2? If you use a P61, it will be very tough (and expensive) to beat it in overall output with a Lux. I think you can out-throw it with a LuxIII and an Aleph 1, but I'm not sure; the Aleph 3 + LuxIII is a throw-monster. Aleph 3 + W-bin LuxV will give you lots of output and good throw.

Your (2) narrows the field down a lot. You can only run 2x123 and LuxIII on a DownBoy. The Pila will run okay (not blow anything), but it will stay in regulation for only a short time. NG1000 + LuxIII + 2x123 = sadness

Here's a brief thread from today comparing NG vs DB: link

Edited to add:
Sorry, I forgot about the Wiz2. It's the easiest choice, and probably the best except for its difficulties with low mode. If you get whoever builds it for you to pick a good low Vf Lux, the DB could work, as mentioned.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The Aleph 3 has a more efficient reflector than the Aleph 1 due to more reflective surface and of course the required real estate. The Aleph 1 is not a flood beam by amy means but it does have a large spill beam for flood in close. The A-2 takes much of that spill and puts it back into the reflected beam.

The NG1000 will die on 2x123 in a heart beat. You can either go with the DB917 and try to get a good low Vf LED for the Pila or you can go with a Wiz2-1000 which will be in full power on both the Pila and the 2x123. The low level options on the Wiz2 are not great but it sounds like you are after full regulation on two battery sources.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want full power on the Pila and 2X123, go with the Wiz2-1000. The only caveat is that you'll have to keep two resistor PCBs handy for the switch.

When using the Wiz2 and a J Vf luxeon with a Pila, I've found that 4 ohms of resistance gives a satisfactory low beam. I the case of 2X123s, I've found that 7 ohms usually does the trick.

johnnieliu

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
If you want full power on the Pila and 2X123, go with the Wiz2-1000. The only caveat is that you'll have to keep two resistor PCBs handy for the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the replies! After reading all the replies and the FAQ for the 30th time, its getting a little clearer. Due to the 2x123 AND Pila 168S requirement, my best choice of driver should be the Wiz2-1000. The NG1000 is only usable for 1x123 or 1xLi-Ion, which meets one requirement but not the other. I could also go with DB917 like what McGizmo suggested, but the overall consensus seems to be that the Wiz2-1000 to be a better driver choice.

Now, which resistor should I use to get the brightest, longest throw from 2x123's and Pila 168S? If I had to pick one resistor to use on both power sources, which one should I use?

The A3 head is a little too large, so I'm leaning towards the A1 head.

Thanks again for your replies and your patience!

JL

Catman10

Enlightened

Johnnieliu,
My advice would be to get a couple of heads, for you maybe the A3 and A1. You are already making a fairly big investment, so it wouldn't be too much more to get the other head. Modularity is one of the Aleph system's greatest strengths, and this will give you what is tantamount to another light.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The resistor only effects the low level and not the high regulated level of output.

AW

Newly Enlightened

I have placed my order for a A3/ NG750/Lux III/ 1X123 from the Shoppe. Since I already get the throw monster,what extra head should I get, the A2 or PR/T ? Also, how long runtime I can get from a 650mA R123 on high? Thanks guys.

AW

Newly Enlightened

BTW, the luxeon is a TX1J, will it be safe for running on R123? What will the tint be?

Flatscan

Enlightened

Aleph 1 or 2 will be compatible with the Light Engine that you have. The PR-T needs the LE components (Lux and driver board) permanently installed. You'll probably find the A-2 more useful unless you need medium-range throw a lot.

X1 tint tends toward green or maybe yellow, definitely a warmer tint. You probably won't see too much tint on its own on high. If you compare it to other lights or use it on low, it might be a little greenish.

Running LiOn + NG + LuxIII, it's good to know the precise Vf of your Lux. The general recommendation is to use a minimum of K, L is safer but probably unnecessary. I wouldn't chance it with a J.

johnnieliu

Newly Enlightened
More Questions....

Will a Aleph 2/Wiz2-1000/LuxIII TYOJ/7 ohms McE2S work on a 1x123 power pack? How about on a 1.5x123 running a Pila 150?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: More Questions....

The Wiz2 will work on 3v to 6v I believe. So it should work with 1x123, 1xPila 150s or 2x123 packs. It will also work with one rechargeable 123, but not two of them.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Running at 1000 in an Aleph2 head I would think should only be for short times as not much as far as heatsink on it.

mut

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The Wiz2 shuts down at around 2.5V (The IC was designed with Li-Ion in mind). Because of this, It will only be compatible on 1x123 if the demand on the battery doesn't drop the Vin down to the shutoff level. I believe you will find that a Wiz2-1000 will do just that! Unless you are going with a Wiz2-400, I would leave 1x123 out of the equation.

johnnieliu

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
The Wiz2 shuts down at around 2.5V (The IC was designed with Li-Ion in mind). Because of this, It will only be compatible on 1x123 if the demand on the battery doesn't drop the Vin down to the shutoff level. I believe you will find that a Wiz2-1000 will do just that! Unless you are going with a Wiz2-400, I would leave 1x123 out of the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. If I can get 30 mins of bright light and 90 mins of usable light as shown on the chart, http://dmcleish.com/CPF/run-times/A3-W2-1000-1x123.jpg , I'll be happy.

Thanks,
JL

McGizmo

Flashaholic

JL,
compare that runtime and lux output to a run time of a wiz2 -1000 with 2x123. Yes, you get light but not regulated and bright relative to the driver's capability.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Unless you are going with a Wiz2-400, I would leave 1x123 out of the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]
After recent intensive testing - I'm in agreement on this one for sure!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I keep forgetting about the 2.7 cut off. My bad.

mut