mini-review Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
str3cled.jpg

Just received my Streamlight 3C, 10 LED, light from www.brightguy.com, and, of course, I had to compare it to my Streamlight 4AA, 7 LED light, and of course, it was just begging for a comparison, so, to paraphrase a quote from the cult movie "SPINAL TAP", to compare the 10 LED light to the 3 LED light, "It's three brighter!"

http://members.aol.com/chiprowe/gotoeleven.wav

http://members.aol.com/chiprowe/gotoeleven2.wav

(Spinal Tap is a very funny movie, and if you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to see this movie, Directed by Rob Reiner, and the actors actually wrote and performed all their own music! It is a cult favorite!)

Man, Streamlight needs to name their light like SureFire and dat2zip, the DENOMINATOR, and the BAD BOY and the MAD MAX, not the 3C!

OK, at first I opened the light, and it is a bigger light than I am used to, but I knew that when I bought it, it takes 3 C batteries (hey, wait, that's where they get the name from!
shocked.gif
), and before putting batteries in the light, I was a little put off by the light by the fact that it has BOTH a rather stiff (read further) tailcap for momentary off/on, and a twist on for constant on.

It has the same basic design of the LED's as the 4AA streamlight, 7 around the diameter of the bezel, with a newly added trio of tightly placed LED's in the center, where as in the 4AA, there is a noticable blank spot in the center.

I took a trip to Wal-mart, and bought a 4-pack of Rayovac Alkaline Maximum Plus batteries (My favorite brand other than lithiums, regardless of the price), and came home and fired it up.

I twisted the head on, and the light came on, and it was very nice! While compared to my Mr Bulk LGI, the 3C does appear slightly dimmer and blue-er, BUT, when using it by itself, I do not notice the blue, and DO VERY MUCH notice the bright, even, wide field of light that this light produces. In comparing the 4AA to the 3C, the 4AA apperars to be slightly bluer, dimmer and narrower than the 3C. Except for the beign slightly less blue-er, that was exactly what I expected.

I have used it's little brother, the 4AA for walking in totally dark fields, and the light gives a very solid, white, even light, that one feels comfortable walking with. I can imigane that the 3C would just put out more light, something that is always welcome when in a no light situation.

Now for the nice thing, the tailcap was, unlike it's little brother, supprisingly easy to use, and was very comfortable using. I Thought that it would be a little heavy to hold and operate one handed, but it was not. I wish that the 4AA was as easy to operate the tailcap as the 3C. Now, with a slight grip modification, using the forfinger, or pointer finger, to operate the 4AA, it is easy to operate the 4aa one handed.

Finally a light that appeals to both the twist on crowd, and the one handed crowd!

Internally, the 10 LED's are mounted in what appears to be a semi-plastic head (the silver reflective front), and appears to have a metal brass or copper or some other metal base that must be a heat sink, something missing from the 4AA. A welcome feature after reading about Brightnorm's meltdown of his 4AA when testing it on lithiums. Alas, at this time, there are no lithium C batteries. Also, there is a "shelf" in the body that moves the batterys forward when using the tailcap. It looks as if some thought was put into this light. Maybe future versions of the 4AA will have this metal base!

Now for the clip. This light has a big clip, and is the first light of this size that I have owned that has a clip. At first I thought, "This light is already streaching the limits of my pocket, adding a clip just makes it bulkier in my pocket!" Well, it turns out that the clip is a welcome addition, and clips very nicely to the outisde of your front pocket, with only the clip inserted into your pants. The 4AA fits very comfortably in your pocket, and is light enough to carry comfortably there, and thanks to the clip, the 3C is also easy to carry, for a large light. The clip also give a little anti-roll, and fits nicely in the hand.

The outside of the light is very well made, and has a presicion fell, despite being Polycarbonate. Also, it has a Rubber coated bezel, and the two "black strips" down the body are also rubber, to give it a nice feel"

The light is also Safety rated at UL Listed Class 1 Div 1, Class 1 Div 2.

Now, what I don't understand, but others here do, is why a 4AA light has less LED's than a 3C light. After all, 4 *1.5 should give you more power than 3*1.5! Well, two people answerd me in another post, and here are their replies:

rlhess
Member # 1623
--------------------------------------------------
Not necessarily.

The internal impedance (resistance) of the C cells is much lower than the AAs and the capacity (ampere hours) is about 2.5x.

Also, since you don't have a peak voltage of 6V to ballast the LEDs for, you may actually be able to get more light longer. It's all in the design and I believe Streamlight showed very capable design and a deep understanding of the dynamics involved with the light plot I got from the 4AA.

Greg sez that the 3C is substantially brighter than the 4AA.

I had just ordered 4 4AAs and now ordered 5 3Cs ... some are going back, for sure, but I'm very excited. The 3C would be a better car light than a 4AA IMHO.
==================================
Quickbeam
Member # 482
--------------------------------------------------
At 4.5 volts, 10 Nichia LEDs will be overdriven unless resistored down (which I bet they are).

Running the same 10 Nichia LEDs on 4 AA batteries at 6v conveys no advantage whatsoever (except the size of the package). They will have to be resistored down even more to achieve an acceptable voltage for driving the LEDs. Result: more voltage wasted in the resistors. 1 battery is totally wasted. That's all.

The 3 C config will, of course, give longer runtime and will have less voltage wasted as heat by the resistors. I'm very interested to see how this compares to a LW 4000.
--------------------

So there is my answer! It looks like this light will stay brighter, for longer, than the 4AA.

Like the other new LED lights from Streamlight, they give honest runtimes. A graph showing the "beam distance over time" shows this:

Startup-------21m - 70 Feet
4hours--------15m - 50 Feet
30 Hours------10m - 33 Feet
50 Hours------6 m - 20 Feet
95 Hours------3 m - 10 Feet
336 Hours ----1 M - 3 Feet

A welcome bit of honesty to say that your light will diminish in brightness, while still claiming a long run time.

I guess regulation would be nice, if I could keep that 70 feet figure for 30 hours and then have it go almost completey dark. but it is nice knowing that there is lots of light in this light, even if it isn't "brand new brightness" for the whole time. And, sometimes, like in an emergency, you really need that light to streach out!

The nice thing about all LED lights, is as the batteries grow weaker, the light does not become more yellow, it stays the same color, just less intense.

Comparing this light to the Luxeon Star LED's? Well, My opinion is that, my brightest LS LED, Mr. Bulk's LGI, compared to the 3C, is that the LGI gives a brighter, whiter, less blue, slightly more concentrated beam, whereas the 3C is less bright, but puts out a more wide beam. This seems to parallel what Craig posted on his site, comparing the KL1, KL2, and KL3 LED heads from SureFire, The KL2 is to be mounted on the M3, and is a 19 head Nichia LED compared, to the 1 LS LED for the KL1 and KL3:
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/kl1.htm
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/kl2.htm
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/kl3.htm

To quote Craig:

"The KL2 produces a softer, slightly wider-angle beam than the KL1 or KL3."

I think that the 3C parallels that view. (How much do you want to bet that Streamlight has a 19 head LED in the works???)

This is the kind of light that you want to have with you when you KNOW that you are going to need some serious light for a long time.

In summary, another very nice light from Streamlight, a light that you would want to keep around for emergencies, AND OR for when you need a lot of light. Bright, even, broad light, and a long run time, and the C batteries make it more convientent than a D sized light. There are no apoligies needed when using this light over similar sized 2-D and 3C incandecents, and compared to the similar Lightwave 4000, it is about 23.00 less than the Lightwave, so it is priced very nicely.

The 4AA, being smaller, and lighter, with a little less light and runtime, is a light to thow into your pocket or whatever, when space is at a premium, or when you only "MAY" need a light, and light weight, and small size are just as important as haveing a good light, that will last a long while, should you need it.

The 3C is for when you KNOW you are going to need a bright light, and are going to need it for a long time!

How much you want to bet, they introduce a 15 LED light, then a 19 LED light next, then they will come out with their Luxeons! THEN WILL COME THE REGULATED LIGHTS!

Ratso

Enlightened
Wow! Thanks for the great review. The LEDs should last longer on this one due to the heat sink.
I have a few questions:

1. Is the lamp module interchangeable with the 3C Xenon Incandescent?

2. How long will it run till the brightness is below the brightness of an Opalec New Beam or a 3 LED light?

3. How many hours of useable light, like down to a Photon or other 1 LED light?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Ratso:
Wow! Thanks for the great review. The LEDs should last longer on this one due to the heat sink.
I have a few questions:

1. Is the lamp module interchangeable with the 3C Xenon Incandescent?

2. How long will it run till the brightness is below the brightness of an Opalec New Beam or a 3 LED light?

3. How many hours of useable light, like down to a Photon or other 1 LED light?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. I do not know if the 3C Xenon in interchangable with the 3c LED. Bet Greg at www.brightguy.com or streamlight themself would know. I have e-mailed Streamlight before, and they called me back on the phone, so just shoot them an e-mail.

2. I haven't run my 3C long enought yet to find out. I can tell you that I ran my 4AA 7 LED light for 12 hours, and it was still way brighter than my Opalec newbeam. At 50 hours, according to the back of the package, it will give a 20 foot "beam" (I don't like the word beam for an LED).

3. Again, refer to the chart.

If the lamp EVER fails, the Streamlight lamp has a lifetime warranty, so if you start noticing your LED's are not as bright as they once were, just send it it.

rlhess

Enlightened
BuddTX, that was a great review...let me say, I concur.

I published a few coments in a very brief mention and will repeat them here:

==============
This light is quite impressive. Brighter by a bit than the 7 LED 4AA SL it measures about 140 cd with fresh batteries and probably covers almost 2X the area of the 4AA with reasonably bright light. It's a very "flood" type light. Substantially broader than the Lambda Illuminator.
==============

Ratso, Here are my GUESSES to your questions:

1. Yes, the incandescent and LED modules are interchangeable, but we'd need to confirm availibility and compatibility with Streamlight

2. The Opalec New Beam is about 35cd and I'd suspect based on the above numbers that it's 35-50 hours.

3. The Arc AAA LE is about 20 cd, and I'd suspect that it would run 75 hours until it got there.

I'm not prepared yet to do that long a run time (the meter batteries will not last that long), but I may do some spot checking in the tail...unless someone else beats me to it.

I am VERY impressed with this light. I had just bought 5 SL 4AAs (4 were in route from BG when I found out about the 3C). I immediately orderd 5 SL 3Cs.

I've sold two of the 4AAs and have kept all 5 of the 3Cs. My wife likes them!

I was really impressed at how well it illuminated my entire living room. It's not a UKE D8 by any means, but it does light up a wide area.

If anyone cares, the 5Cs are deployed: one in each car, one by my wife's bedside, one in the kitchen and one at hand in my home office as a utility light. The 4AAs are deployed one in each bathroom and one in the garage.

In the home office, I have stepped lights so I have a choice of what to grab for a given need:
Lambda Illuminator, 3C LED SL, UKE SL6, UKE D8, and Brinkmann MaxMillion Qbeam. These run roughly 200cd narrow, 140cd wide, 13000cd narrow (8W), 1300cd wide (14W), and 65,000cd medium-narrow (50W).

I'm very happy with our new LED light complement. I've mothballed most of the "regular" incandescent flashlights around the house. Out of 56 lights, 25 are LED and 27 are incandescent (and that's counting 7 tiny power-fail lights).

Cheers,

Richard

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
BuddTx,
I agree with you on the 3C clip. I don't have the LED model yet, but do have the standard. I noticed that clipped to your front pocket, when you walk, it feels like it's tied to your leg. No swing at all. I wish I could get just the light modual & swap it out. TX

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to add something to this thread.

While I like my Mr. Bulk LGI better, and use that light every day, Mr/ Bulk's LGI is VERY VERY Limited in supply, the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light is probably the ONE LIGHT that I would want with me, if I were stranded on a deserted island, with on set of batteries.

It's also a good recommendation for a "first" led light for your non-flashoholic friends. Great run time, not too heavy, "no apoligies" brightness quality, reasonably priced.

This and the InReTECH 2aa drop in Luxeon LED for the mini-mag, would be the two LED lights I would recommend to non-flashoholic friends. Nice brightness, long run time, good quality, reasonably priced. Qualities that a Non Flashoholic would appreciate and come to depend on.

(OK, maybe the ARC AAA for their keychain too!)