Miboxer        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake / Tsunami hits Asia

Default Earthquake / Tsunami hits Asia

Default Re: Earthquake / Tsunami hits Asia

I jeard about that ont he radio when it had just happened. I was shocked at the magnitude of it! I hope they don't have anymore aftershocks.

Flashaholic*

i hope all our CPF members in the area make it thru okay.

is this quote from the Yahoo/MSN article i read really true?
    [ QUOTE ]
    "All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashaholic*

8.9 or greater magnitude quakes don't happen too often. IIRC, the last quakes in comparable magnitude was a 9.2 in Alaska in the early 60s, and a 9.5 in Chile in the early to mid 60s.

I just heard about the news this evening (happened in the morning in M'sia). Apparently it wasn't that bad for the M'sian side, there were some tremors felt, and I met a couple just now who said they'd woken up to a shaking building (hotel) this morning on the island on Penang. Watching the news just now reports that at least a couple thousand ppl were missing or dead. Hardest hit was India I think, imagine the magnitude of it (8.9) that we could feel it all the way here!! Goes to show again that you never know what could hit you when and where...

Shiftd, I hope you and your relatives are okay.

I just heard on the news that the magnitude of the earthquake was 9.0, and the death toll stands at approximately 10,000.

My nephew was / is(?) in Thailand on a holiday. We got word this afternoon that he left the island resort for the mainland a day before the waves hit. He is supposed to be in the air on his way home now. I don't know if the flight schedules are interupted.

I hope all is well with our CPF members and their families.

Singapore's ok here.

With natural disasters of this magnitude, it is surely a shame that mankind can't take its defense budget for guarding against, and relief in aftermath, of damage inflicted by nature instead of funneling so much of our resources into defense against eachother. My heart goes out to all of those who lost terra firma and have had their lives significantly altered by loss. For so many the cycle of life has abruptly ended!

I selfishly hope our CPF community has not been effected by this disaster but to be certain, a disaster it is!

Terrible, terrible tragedy!! My thoughts & prayers certainly going out to those affected by this disaster.

somebody set off a big one eh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

i knew we have quite a few cpfers from that area, hope everyone is ok...

just look at these siezmographs...
    graphs (as of 10:30 central time, most of them look black)

I am okay here too.
    Stanley, chamenos sent his regards, he was worried about you.

Fortunately, my friends in Penang are okay too. Some others on the island were not so fortunate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Many drowned due to the tidal wave that hit the coast.

And yet what was I reading earlier but that building a warning system to help let people know they should head inland is not worth the cost because these things happen so rarely.

would have paid for itself today though wouldn't it.

you've got anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours between when the earthquake happens when the waves hit. More than enough time to drastically reduce the loss of life. But there was nothing in place to warn anybody about anything, even though they knew it was coming.

Course, thats just whats getting printed right now, I have no idea whats true or not about it.

I'm really glad to see our CPFers in the affected area reporting in that they are okay. As members of one big family, we are always concerned for health and welfare of fellow CPFers, when disaster strikes.

SJACKAL and nexro, glad you are okay, and thank you for reporting in that all is well in your area.

I encourage any other CPFers in the affected are to report in if they are able.

KevinL, haven't heard from you yet. Let us know you are okay if you can.

Jim and others, many thanks for your concern. Everything's normal here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

James, that sounds like the typical mentality of so many people "why bother, it's expensive" until the big one hits and they have incoming and realize that yes, the initial outlay would have been a pittance compared to the losses sustained by not having it. But there is always hope that things will change and that the next time, there will be warning.

Flashaholic*

The USA could divert a few tens of billions from the latest "Star Wars" attempt, which in order to work may bankrupt us. Hey, being several trillions in debt, are we already bankrupt?

that is a horrifying story.

my heart goes out to those people.

wow...i just heard that the death toll is 24,000.

Bob

jayflash [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] what has that got to do with it? And the pentagon budget for that program is only 10 billion a year if i remember correctly. So it's hardly a few tens of billions sitting around waiting to be redirected to other things, and I don't think that it would be easy or legal for them to just re-distribute it as foreign aid anyway...

the media has certainly decided that a missile defense system will never work, but media coverage of science is never based on science anyway. just like political support of science is never based on science either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The media coverage of the last abortive test of the system was so remarkably misinformed that I had to read it several times to see if they were reporting on what I thought they were reporting on. You need to read more than reuters news feeds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Has anyone seen Shiftd ?

I THINK he might have been on vacation, and MIGHT have been around one of these areas.

Geez, the death toll just keeps piling on... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Reading the news in the local papers today and there were many horror stories about ppl hanging on to pillars for their lives, islands totally flooded, bodies washed ashore, etc.. There were even some pics of boats that were washed up right onto the middle of the street, and cars that got swept into a hotel lobby, etc.. A terrible tragedy indeed, prayers going out to the less fortunate... India, Sri Lanka and Sumatra (Indonesia) seems to have borne the brunt of the tidal waves, highest death tolls yet...

Thanks Nexro, I'll drop Chamenos a PM to let him know too... Geez, hope all CPFers and their friends/relatives are all ok too...

This is indeed a horrible event, and certainly couldn't be viewed as a "wonderful opportunity" for anything. It is an opportunity for what is good about mankind to be demonstrated, as we abandon ideologies and differences to lend assistance, love and support to all those affected. In reality, as the family relationships of man has become global, the whole world is affected.

Flashaholic*

Sorry James, I hope I'm wrong about Star Wars if we do follow through with it.

My frustration lies in what was stated about many political priorities. As you stated, too, good science may well be ignored in favor of legislation benefitting political friends. This is a world wide problem, not just ours in the USA.

If the reporting is accurate, a person (usually child or baby) dies every five seconds due to starvation. We are told there is plenty of food - only politics and corrupt governments prevents the food from reaching all who need it.

The massive deaths is Asia make me feel ashamed of myself after I complain about, ultimately, inconsequential, personal inconveniences.

We are so fortunate here, in the USA, and I certainly did nothing to warrant my good luck to be born here.

I hope legitimate relief organizations are able to attract donations very soon. For now I'll send a prayer.

Flashaholic*

I read it on www.excite.com. It said the deathtoll was at 23,700 I think. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My apologies to any and all who may have taken my comments in a direction I certainly had not intended! In Hawaii, there are large sirens mounted on telephone poles that can be used to warn citizens of pending danger. I believe tidal waves and storms fall into the warning categories. With hurricanes, we typically have time and the infrastructure of getting out the warnings and evacuation notices. My only concern and point was that natural disaster can and will happen and nature can work with a large hand! Technology allowed people around the world to witness this geological event as it happened and in some cases, it may be that there was time to get out a warning if a system were in place. There is the potential for some mega geological events to occur on the planet that could have even greater and further reaching destruction than this earthquake did. *We* have the means to take proactive measures in anticipation and with the intent of providing a warning. I suppose this could fall into the realm of left and right politics but but does it have to?

Now this next statement may be very naive and wishful thinking but I hope we do develop an effective StarWars program and I hope it is capable of taking out some rocks that might end up headed our way from the stars! Diplomacy might work with a warring nation but it has no effect on a geological event or meteor! Living in CA and a land of earthquakes, I know that nature can change the landscape with little if any warning. Anything that our technology can allow in terms of pre warning is more than welcome! From a global perspective, we are all potentially in harms way. If any defense can be mounted, shouldn't humanity take it upon itself to do so? The rising death toll here has nothing to do with politics! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Good points, McGizmo. If SWars does become viable and is established, I hope we track any incoming items beyond ICBMs too.

My Girlfriend and I have close friends who are in Thailand for a holiday. We have had no communication from them since Christmas Day. Until then, we had a daily text message. Now there is silence. I know communications are going to be very disrupted, but the "not knowing" is awfull.
    My sincerest wishes go to all those people around the world who are affected by this terrible tradegy.

Quazar, I sincerely hope your friends are ok. I don't know if you want to know or not, but I managed to find a site which has a list of names of victims that were brought into the hospital. I sincerely hope that there are no names that you recognise there...

http://www.phuket-inter-hospital.co....day_Forien.htm

The original post for this list came from here but it doesn't mention if these were ppl who were warded or identified bodies of victims. Keep your fingers crossed, hope this helps!

You can also keep an eye on this site/forum for more updates or postings on missing ppl in Thailand...

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

Some excellent animations here showing the tsunami:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/20...ean_earthquake

My head was still woozy from waking-up in the morning and not coffee yet in my system. I then saw the paper and thought; "What?! 700?". . . Then the numbers just poured in from the news, the unbelieveable number of humanity lost.

Thankfully, though my heart and prayers go out to our Asian neighbors, nothing here in the Philippines (though in close proximity with those nations affected). We're still recovering from the last the two typhoons which ravaged 3 provinces via landslides.

Don't want to start anything political or inflmatory BUT Empath and Jayflash, thank you for your thoughts. If only there would be a lot more people in authority who think like you two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast