Recommendations on guitar instruction??

Dan C

Enlightened
My lovely bride went off on a crazy tangent and bought me an electric guitar for Christmas. I'm both excited and a little scared, as I have never so much as held on in my hands and I know it's going to take a huge commitment from me to start this journey.

Do any of you players have any sage advice on getting started, favorite books, videos? Or is one on one instruction the only way to go?

Dan C

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how much you actually plan to learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you just want to learn a few licks to show your buddies when they come over then get a video or 2 and start messing around. If you actually want to learn to play it, and have the time to put in a few hours of actually working on it a week then yes, private lessons are the way to go.

pick a teacher that knows something about the style that you're most interested in learning and most of all have fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan,

I've been playing now for 23 years. To start off, go out and get a book on guitar chords(Mel Bays books). This will show you fingering techniques for the chordes as well as all the notes on the fretboard. You could have a teacher teach you this, but it's pretty simple to learn on your own. One word of advice, DON'T GIVE UP! Starting out can be very frustrating because you fingers don't do what you want them to and you end up putting it down out of frustration. Believe me, if you put time into it, it will come. After you learn basic chords that is the time for a teacher. A GOOD teacher can teach you about the basics to the very advanced. About different techniques and fingering patterns, scales and riffs. Trust me, If I can do it, anybody can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
Yea, What HE said! (tiktok)

Been playing for about the same lenght of time. I took up guitar as a hobby from playing brass instruments.

As stated above, take the time to learn the notes on the guitar and the basic chords. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll progress after that. It won't be easy but well worth it to learn.

Oh, word of warning.. Collecting guitars and amps is a disease that is even more expensive than collecting flashlights.

Chris

Negeltu

Enlightened
Well, if you're serious take the time to learn the notes on the fretboard and the parts of the guitar...how to maintain it and keep it looking purdy. Then learn how scales and chords are actually structured instead of getting a chord dictionary. Chords are commonly built on the Tertian system(chords built on 3rd intervals or harmonies). There's also Quartal harmony type chords built on 4th intervals or harmonies. There is alot to music theory and playing guitar.

If you are serious then I'd go find a local instructor who knows all about that juicy stuff. Then spend at least 2 hrs a day practicing. I use to spend 6hrs a day.

If you just wanna play as a hobby or some type of self satisfaction then I recommend 30mins of practice everyday. It is important that you do not practice irregularly as you can damage your tendons. Warm up before each practice.

Oh and muscle atrophies in 72hrs so another reason to practice regularly.. you don't wanna lose the gains you developed.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Guys, for a newbie do you think it's better starting off with an acoustic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Empath,

For me, I learned on a beat up old acoustic because that's what I had. Personally though, I think it's just a matter of preference since they both have six strings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 39 and have been playing, teaching, recording etc. for many years. I actually have a picture of me and my first guitar on my 2nd B-day.

I agree with everything James S said. Make sure to keep it fun and inspirational. Chord books are good but get a good teacher to show you the proper way. (If only for a month) It will save you a lot of time. DEFINATELY get a private teacher to stick with if you're inspired. And big tip for beginner's is to start off with the thinnest strings if your fingers hurt. Tune down a half step too. And try to have your 'action' lowered. (get strings as close to the frets as possible without too much buzz.) These things make it easier and more fun to play. You can build up from there, be creative, whatever works for you.

One way to look at learning music is to picture standing with your nose touching the tallest building in the world. Then every time you learn something you get to step back. Eventually you can see a whole city! (it's just one analogy of many)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the older metal music and wanted to play it myself or thrash or rip which ever they call it. I got one, amp and some lessions and books. First I had a problem with my hands and fingering it, then I traded it for a left handed one. THe lessons kind of fizzled out as the teacher wanted me to play in acustic mode with single one note songs like mary had a little lamb and what not where I wanted to sound like Kirk Hamlet. The books were over my head, I did not quite know how to read notes either.

My guitar, crate excabular amp, death metal petal, digital delay petal sit in the corner now. I figured I need to find someone who plays the music I like, then have them teach me when I have the time and money.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb makes a great point. a good teacher will keep your enthusiasm up with doses of things that inspire you as they keep developing your abilities. Interview the potential teachers and see if they play what inspires you. cobb has options, he can get a new teacher, or meet some others at the local music store or newspaper for inspiration. There is no rush, you have a lifetime, go with the inspiration and strike while the iron's hot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I recently tried out a piece of software called Emedia guitar method and I was rather impressed. You go through a series of lessons with video as well as a animated fretboard and the sheet music. It teaches you a few chords at a time and you progressively work on more and more difficult songs and styles of play. Aside from being a little awkward with holding a big guitar while sitting in front of the computer, I think its a great way to learn.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing off and of for 25 years and have probably introduced 20+ people to playing. Depending on your personality type and of course your natural skill level, it can either be frustrating or greatly rewarding.

Best advice is as above, get a Mel Bay chrods book. Learn to play Mary Had a Little Lamb and the like but learn to read music while learning the notes on the guitar. More than any other instrument, guitarists tend to not be able to read music and learn to 'fill in the right notes' once they start getting the hang of it. This is good and bad. Good because you can start figuring out stuff on your own. Bad because 99% of non-guitar music is in written form.

Practice, practice, practice. Put as much time into it as you can. Cost issues aside, I prefer starting on electric as the strings are usually easier to press on lower end electrics than acoustics.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree CromagNet, that is what I plan on doing next time. I want to thrash, not play nursary rhymes.

BTW, I have two milk crates of those guitar books, a few guitar magazine subscriptions as well as some song books to a few albums I like from acdc, metallica, megadeth. They have nothing for me, other than take up two milk crates of room in my closet.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple in pdf form if anyone wants.
Led Zeppelin II and I think I have a large Beatles collection on pdf
...and about 10 Steely Dan songs that I wrote out a couple weeks back, with chords etc.