Yet Another Minimag Replacement LED Solution

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Technology Associates just released a new VersaLux module (MagmaLED) for the Minimag flashlight series. Unlike other solutions, it uses the built in Minimag reflector. The close up pictures of the device show a number of surface mount components, leading me to believe this thing may have some kind of regulation. Only has a single LED, so I don't know how bright it will be.

Since it is only $14.99, I ordered one. I will post my impressions once I receive this item and get a chance to check it out.

Here is the link: VersaLux MagmaLED

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Sure Sabby, sure.....
tongue.gif

Actually, now that I took the time to read the earlier thread about Minimag LED replacements, it seems that someone else beat me to it to!

Even though I already ordered the thing, I sure would like to know if the darn thing is regulated. I went back and looked at those pics again, and the surface mount components may just be a bunch of resistors. If they are all resistors though, I don't know why there would have to be so many of them. Ah, the joys of anticipating a new LED goodie.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me, or does that LED itself look modified? -note: the concave/cone appearance on the end of the LED.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I believe that is what it takes to make it work with the reflector effectivly.

Empath

Flashaholic
Of course I had to order one immediately after receiving Techass's email. What I'm wondering is the diameter of module, and whether or not it will fit in the AAA Minimag. If so I'll be delighted. As far as functionality and quality goes, I have faith in TA.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagMaLED Adapter has some electronics on it, most likely to boost the voltage from the 2xAA up to the slightly higher voltage needed for the White LED

But as you can see from the picture - they are using a standard T1-3/4 (5mm) White LED; this package of LED is limited to approx 30-50ma of operation and approx 6.4c compared to the 226c of the Luxeon

Mike
http://www.inretech.com/

L.E.D.

Enlightened
sure has a nice runtime! I wonder if the output curve is flat though....? (is it well-regulated?)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I was going to post this...but I knew when I saw the title of the thread I was late (I feel your pain Saaby). If it isn't regulated I'd think the Inretech (sp?) Luxeon drop in would be better overall. But I like Tech Associates products and service. So "buy both". Can anyone say Christmas presents?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is just a regular Nichia right? I guess I'm spoiled by Luxeon's now because for a light that big, I want more then just the light output of a single Nichia. Heck an Infinity Ultra would be a better value (just my opinion). I would think an Opalec replacement would be a better choice despite the higher price but it will be interesting to see how this thing focuses.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea, but a couple years too late, IMHO. The 3 LED Opalec and the various LS modules make more sense.

For single LED output, stick with the small lights...Infinity, ARC, Photon, etc.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt they looked at what else had been done for the minimag, and decided to go this route. No point on infringing patents, is there?

Let us take an example of patenting, using CPF members for the example:

Badboy, Madmax, Inretech, and a few others invent the LS based minimag replacement module. Let's say Inretech did it last. However for this example, ONLY Inretech patented it! With the patent, Inretech can legally FORCE the others to cease and desist from making and selling their versions!!

Now, if Versalux did an LS module for the minimag, then that would be infringing on Inretech's patent.

It is better to do something nobody else has done and do it well, than be put out of business from patent infringement.

The LS module and Versalux's serve two different needs.

Saaby: on a slightly different note. I saw your thing on the Eveready 2 LED folding lantern. Happened to see it in Walmart and got one. Nice enough for me, as is.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patents are being given out like candy these days because it's up to the person applying to show the patent examiner all "prior art" -- and once the patent office is given notice that someone else had previously described in public the same thing, the patent has to be rewritten to cover only what is uniquely new.

There's a big business online now in bounty payments to people who can dig out the prior art to invalidate patents issued due to lack of knowledge by the patent examiner of what's already out there.

Anyone who's described a device or modification in public, here or elsewhere, shouldn't be too worried by a subsequent patent issued to someone else for something similar.

Just remember if you get a "lawyer letter" that lawyers are like prize fighters -- they expect to get into the ring and try really hard to knock the other guy down with the first punch, and they expect the other guy to block that and counterpunch very hard, and at THAT point they recognize each other as professionals and set about having a slugging match.

Remember that when a lawyer walks up to an ordinary person and throws the punch (letter, first draft offered of a contract, whatever) -- it is a MOVE in a GAME to figure out how strong the opposition is.

Never, ever, just fall down when that happens to you -- talk to someone knowledgeable about legal matters and find out if you need to hire your own gunsling, er, lawyer, to throw the block-and-counterpunch.

Usually once the lawyers know they are both in the ring and reasonably well matched, you get a negotiated outcome.

In particular, patent law is like that -- someone applies for and gets issued a patent for "bright things that light up" and sends you a letter saying you can no longer make yours -- in response, you challenge the patent by showing prior art exists. So you have to establish that the Sun rises in the East every morning, for starters, and there is other prior art as well, to limit the scope of their patent.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
And who makes out in the scenario mentioned by Hank? Yup, the lawyers. They get bucks for every punch thrown; might even pull their punches a bit to prolong the fight? Sorry, between the legal and insurance industries in our society along with our willingness to pay premiums in lieu of accepting responsability for our actions...........

Back on topic. One significant difference between this drop in for the mini-mag is the fact that the existing reflector is used and you can adjust the focus to a tight beam, I have been lead to understand. WIth the Opalec and the infinity, you are limited to the focus of the integrated lens on the LED's themselves. The significance and value of this feature will be up to the beholder.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by McGizmo:
[QB]

Back on topic. One significant difference between this drop in for the mini-mag is the fact that the existing reflector is used and you can adjust the focus to a tight beam, I have been lead to understand. WIth the Opalec and the infinity, you are limited to the focus of the integrated lens on the LED's themselves. The significance and value of this feature will be up to the beholder.[/ QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would agree. Only problem I have with it is that I used to own 4 mini mags. one had batteries leak in it whereas I tossed it. Another fell victim to a disection, then one stolen and one lost. So for me it will be $10(mini)+$14(upgrade)=$24+shipping = nearly any LED light in the range of price, performance & size.

Oh wait, I forgot, get one of each.
winkie.jpg

kubolaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
No doubt they looked at what else had been done for the minimag, and decided to go this route. No point on infringing patents, is there?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, while I would imagine that TechAss (they really should have rethought this domain name) did look at other MiniMag options, I highly doubt that their decision to go the non-LS route was significantly patent-driven. Even a most cursory search for LED flashlights would have turned up many user mods and commercial products, all using a wide variety of implementations. But I haven't seen anyone asserting any patent rights in the LS area. Not to say that the threat does not exist, but just that it seems like a fairly low risk.

To me, it's more likely that TechAss looked at the retrofit options for MiniMags and noticed that they were all pretty expensive. They probably even looked at a LS option and thought "Hmm, $13 for just an emitter? Maybe we can make an entire Nichia single LED retrofit package for that price. Maybe the general public will prefer a cheaper, longer-lasting LED option." So they came out with their version (and yes, I realize that they might be able to get a bulk discount on LSs (not a given, by any means considering Lumiled's current practices)). Unfortunately for them, while their product was probably in the development pipeline, Inretech came out with a very attractively priced LS drop in, which makes the TechAss product much less appealing (at least it seems this way to me - perhaps the buying public will behave otherwise).

So anyway, just wanted to toss in my 2 cents about patents. Not that patents are never problematic, but just that in this situation, I don't think they were very relevant.

John

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nor do I, John. I used a theoretical example. I see Inretech's and Versalux's products as filling different needs. I just ordered 2 Versalux PR-2 LED bulbs to try on several lights I have. Since I don't have a minimag, it isn't useful to me.