My First mod LS flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash....

Enlightened
Ok so I have made tons of custom flashlights, but this is my actual first LS implementation.
I choose the V-8810 AMBICO 5W white camcorder flood light as a base.
Why??? well, I get them here in FL at the Recoton factory outlet store for 7 bucks a piece!!
You get the light, 6V Nicad pack and charger for that price. The reflector alone is solid aluminum and can be used as an additional heatsink. There is a nice aluminum backplate behind the head for the 7805 too.

I bought 6 of these last time I was in the store.... These are perfect for the job as they have cooling slots at the head for the LS heatsink. A nice rechargeable 6v 700ma Nicad supply (6 AA Nicads), power switch, "on" and "Charging" indicator LEDs too.
I removed the 5W halogen bulb and ceramic mount and added my LS with heatsink. Then used a 7805 5v constant current regulator and a 1 ohm ceramic resistor in series with the output of the 7805 and the LS.

A little Dremel work, some solder and Wow is this thing bright!! The charging circuitry is already there.
I am pulling on average 800ma to the Star. No runtime estimates yet. So far I have made one White and one Cyan below....

I forgot to take pictures of the light output comparison, but I will say the original 5W halogen was too much drain for the 700ma pack and only lasted around 10 min and was not as bright as compared to when connected to an unlimited current supply. As a result, the light output was also not as bright as one would expect for a camcorder flood. (the LS is brighter - at least to me.) The AMBICO V-8810 makes a much better LS flashlight in my opinion!
(especially since it only cost me 7 bucks a piece)
1-1-1.jpg

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by flash....:
I just realized this should probably end up in the homemade category... Sorry bout that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Moved, for your convience, to that category. Follow it using the link right up above "Hello, Saaby" but below the big "Candle Power Forums pill."

(Hint: Use your "Home" button--no, the one on your keyboard over by "End")

Status
Not open for further replies.