Internet Digital Picture Uploading/Sharing

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from a nearly two-week vacation to Costa Rica. I went, with 13 other family members to an 8-bedroom villa for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.

I took 402 pictures...nearly filling up my 1 gigabyte memory card on my Canon A95. All of the pictures are 5mp and superfine.

My uncle's camera broke on the trip; he got it wet and he has basically no still pictures from the trip at all.

He suggested I upload all of my 402 pictures to Ofoto, so he can use some of those. Ofoto is painstakingly slow though. It only allows 25 pictures at a time, I have to type in all of the address manually... it won't allow me to open up the folder with all of the pictures in it, and select all at once. And once I have typed in all of the address, uploading takes a while. I have digital cable high-speed internet.

So is there another site I can use that will speed the uploading process up and allow me to share all of my pictures for free?

Thanks guys.

P.S. It was an awesome trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Aaron,

Do you need these hosted perminately, or just for a while?
If just for a while, you can use my site.

Also, I use ACDSEE to compress all my photos, it can make them less than half the size, and you can NOT tell the difference.
This saves loading times, and hard drive space.

Bet your pics are great, I am loving my A95 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~John

greenLED

Flashaholic
Dude, for 5MP pics, you'd be better off burning them onto CD's and mailing them to your uncle.

Glad you liked CR! (not that I'm biased or anything) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
For VIEWING on the internet you need to make the pictures much smaller. A 5MP image is probably about 2600x2000 pixels whereas most people run their monitors at 1024x768 or 800x600. If you reduce the images for internet viewing then they will likely only use about 1/20-1/30 the space. You would be hard-pressd to find someone to host 1Gb of image files for you. (For printing though he would need the full sized image.) Burning and mailing a couple of CD's would be the easiest. Otherwise you could email the images to him a little at a time so you don't overload his inbox.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Second the remark about the high-res images. 5MP is a bit too large for casual on-screen viewing.

E-mailing all those pics isn't going to be a real option either - most ISPs give subscribers 5MB mailboxes. At 4MB/day, you're looking at 25 days until you can email the entire set.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some ISP's are starting to loosen up due to the competition. My ISP (Comcast) now gives me 100MB and I think Hotmail does also.

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
erm, ofoto provides software that uploads your pics from your computer. if you're on a PC, you can use ofoto now... ofoto now

but before you upload those pictures, I'd follow everyone else's suggestions to resize your pictures first. ACDSee works fine, but if you want free, I like AxiomX's photo resizing tool. (PicSizer)

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
You are all assuming he just wants to view them on his screen, if he wants to print them out, it will be necessary to have high res pics. He's obviously not going to print out 402 pics tho, so you could just send him the hi-res ones he chooses.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Here's a photo sharing site. www.fotki.com They have a Premium account and a Free account. One of the differences of Premium vs Free...

# Unlimited storage space (vs. 10 MB for Free account)

In either accounts, you can select what resolution viewers can view the pics. You can create folders/albums. You can restrict viewing w/passwords you can give out. Kinda useful.

Hope this helps!

Danno

tech

Newly Enlightened
I do all of my photos on line at shutterfly.com
The best part is that when you create albums and share them, the link of the shared photos takes people to slideshow views of the photos, not the real thing. Then they have the option to purchase the photos.
I just uploaded about 500MB of 5MP pictures in about 10-15 minutes.
Shutterfly is awesome!
T.

Latest posts