brightness-whos got it-inretech or opalec newbeam

dangee

Newly Enlightened
any preferances between brightness of inretech's AA minimag drop in and the newbeam from opalec?
icon13.gif
icon14.gif

mc

Newly Enlightened
Very soon, dat2zip's drop-in for AA lights, will be available, and be much brighter.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Opalec Newbeam, and the InReTECH 2AA, and I like them both, matter of fact, the Opalec Newbeam is one of my favorite lights, BUT, there is NO COMPARISON, the InReTECH 2AA is much brighter than the Opalec Newbeam. Mine is a nice, pure white also. Not blue, not green, just white. My Opalec Newbeam is very blue in comparison.

The InReTECH 2AA is a great replacement for the standard bulb in the mini-mag.

Th InReTECH 2AA is not going to win any awards for being the brightest Luxeon Star flashlight, but it will win awards for being one of the least expensive, and longest running on a set of batteries.

I like the Newbeam, specifically because it does NOT put out a lot of light. For 3 am trips into the kitchen, when you have been sleeping for hours, the softer light of the newbeam is prefered to a brighter light.

Hope this helps.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Opalec Newbeam uses 3 of the NiChia 6.4c LEDs for a total of 19.2c

The InReTECH uses the Luxeon Emitter, which puts out approx 226c

Do not point the flashlight into the eyes, otherwise you will get the "Dalmation Effect"

Mike
www.inretech.com

shipinretech

Enlightened
The InReTech adapter has a low power indicator. When the light gets dim, you have three or four weeks of continuous use left before you have to change the batteries. We call this feature the "Dead Battery" mode.

BuddTX, you should just leave the light on a couple of nights and the low light feature will kick in. Just carry a spare set of batteries to kick into high light mode...

hoss

Newly Enlightened
I received my InReTech about a week ago and immediately put in lithiums. Although it is brighter by a slight margin over my Opalec Newbeam I am somewhat disappointed by its pea-green tint (almost completely green at the edges.)

I just like the Opalec better because of its pure white color.

If brightness is that important to you then dat2zip's madmax is about the brightest drop-in for the mini maglight AA that is out there and is a very nice white beam.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to only notice this "pea-green" effect when I point the light at a white surface very close up, and when you have multiple ones like the SUPER6/TRILIGHT - it goes away completely.

Mike
www.inretech.com

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My post bothered me all day, so I want to add to it.

While not my brightest Luxeon Star, the InReTECH 2AA is a bright light.

In my 12 x 12 office, during the day, with the light on and the sun outside, but the plastic blinds drawn, I can shine the light on the wall, and see the light.

It just hasn't been "hot wired" to be very very bright, but with a short life.

It's probably the light you want to have in your tool kit, in your drawer, one of the lights in the glove compartmet, etc.

Use this light when you don't want to wonder if it is time to change the batteries after 5 uses.

I will continue to buy lights like "Bad Boy's" and "Lambda Illuminators", and "LGI's (Long Gun Illuminator), ARC LS's, etc for myself, but for a light in my toolbox, or a computer light when working inside a PC, or to give as gifts, the InReTECH is the light I will choose.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
I'll give the Opalec Newbeam some bonus points for having its low-battery indicator -- I love this feature!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The InReTECH flashlight would make a great "stocking" stuffer, I have given out a couple to my relatives and they all like them

One of my ex-coworkers at Intel finds the White Light from the LED better to use for reading chips on a motherboard than a normal incandescent light, and reading printed numbers on chips while still in the chip-tube carrier

Mike
www.inretech.com

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Even though the InReTech and Opalec are both MAG AA dropins, a more appropriate comparison might be with the CMG Reactor since both it and the InReTech are unregulated Luxeons and have similar characteristics.

Brightnorm