Blue-Green Infinity/Infinity Ultra

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you have experience with both the regular blue-green Infinity and the Ultra? I'm looking for a brightness comparison with both running on lithiums. Any info would be appreciated.

StuU

Enlightened
I have both the standard white and blue/green Infinity. I modified the white by polishing the reflector and using lithium batteries. After this, the white standard Infinity is nearly as bright as the standard blue/green.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both; two of my favorite lights!

The blue-green is only a little dimmer than the Ultra (white), not enough dimmer to make a difference. IMHO, the Ultra is not worth the extra cost unless you feel you really need the white light. My wife felt that way and really loves the Ultra.

If you would be happy with the blue-green, then I do feel it is the best value with the longest run time.

RAH

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbee who has been lurking here for months and finally decided to join. I'm a big Infinity fan and thought I might stick in my 2 cents worth on this topic.

I have a blue/green, a white, plus an Ultra. Using alkalines, to my eyes anyway, the blue/green appears only slightly brighter than the white. The blue/green beam is different, so they are hard to compare. The white gives a wide, diffuse beam, and the center is blurry and blends gradually into the surrounding halo. The blue/green has a definite "bullseye" at the center, which is quite distinct from the surrounding halo. (The picture on the LED Museum site of the green beam is a close match). So the blue/green spot looks brighter, and indeed does seem to project farther outside. However, the overall brightness of the room-filling halo of light is similar with both lights, I think.

Perhaps my white is taking advantage of its white aluminum case, kind of like the polishing mentioned earlier.

The Ultra really is twice as bright as both of the above, I think. Its beam is similar to the regular white.

For getting around the house, I find the brightness of either regular Infinity to be fine, and I love the long runtime. For an emergency light in a car, I'd want something brighter, like the Ultra or brighter (e.g. Opalec Newbeam).

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, everyone. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Ultra, even though it will probably just live in the bottom of my wife's purse.

I'll make sure it sees some use and gets compared to my Arc LE, so I can chime in on ikendu's "myth" thread.