Myths of the ARC AAA vs. the Ultra?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice in the posts on the forum a couple of (IMHO) "myths" about these two lights.

1. Runtime

ARC AAA is advertised as 5 hours.
Ultra is advertised as 25 hours.

From the runtime charts I've seen on the forum, they both last about 5 hours of roughly comparable brightness. Actually the Ultra shows on the charts as somewhat brighter and I'd say from my own informal tests...that seems to be correct. Although they are quite close.

For comparison to ARC AAA, Ultra DOES NOT last 25 hours.

2. Quality and finish

I keep seeing posts about the ARC AAA being obviously higher quality. I have both. I REALLY like both. But...if anything, the Ultra seems to be higher quality to me than the ARC AAA. Since it is not knurled all over, the Ultra is smoother to hold. What knurling there is is deeper and easier to grip. Something about the thread pitch and head diameter makes the Ultra WAY smoother to turn on and off.

So...myth #2, ARC is higher quality...I just don't see it.

They each suit a different need quite well.

The Ultra is just a bit too large for the keychain so I am carrying my ARC AAA everyday on mine.

The Ultra will accept a lithium (for shelf life and cold weather) and makes a good glove box emergency light (although not super bright).

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by ikendu:

So...myth #2, ARC is higher quality...I just don't see it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That doesn't necessarily make it a myth - just not valid in your eyes.

What I notice is that the edges are much better finished on the Arc (rub your thumb along the lanyard tab of the CMG and see if that seems a bit sharp to you), the reflector is much more reflective on the Arc (took the extra step of NOT anodizing the reflector area). The anodize of the Arc is much more complete in the area between the O-ring and the knurled head, and the anodize is type III on the Arc. My experience shows that it is much easier to scratch a CMG Ultra than it is to scratch an Arc AAA - I believe the CMG Ultra is type II.

I have several of each (Ultra and Arc) and they all vary in quality. But on average, the Arcs are superior to the CMGs. Once in a while I get an Arc that is tough to turn on - but that can be fixed. I've had more CMG's that are tough to turn on than Arcs (percentage-wise at least).

I can't speak to the runtime, as I've done no tests on the Ultra. I just use 'em. And I don't want to talk you OUT of liking the cheaper CMG more. All the power to you. If we all liked the same light, there'd be nothing to choose from. Like you I own them both and use them both for different purposes. I just don't find it a "myth" that the Arc is of superior quality to the CMG. And if it is true that they run about the same amount of time on the drastically different amounts of "fuel," then that is one more quality mark in the Arc's favor - the electronics.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Heresy! Burn him! Burn him!

wink.gif

I'm a little let down...I thought I was going to hear stories of Arcs being obducted by Aliens or something...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found the anodizing on the Infinity to be grossly inferior. The Arc AAA is also quite easy to turn, and I haven't cleaned or lubed one in about 3 months.

As mentioned above, if you get this problem, it can be corrected. Clean and lube it, and it should work fine.

One other thing is I've never seen it mentioned that the Infinity is actually TOO thick. Extra weight like that = bum ride.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
...thought I was going to hear stories of Arcs being obducted
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No...but out here in Iowa, I have heard of suspicious circles in the crops with softly glowing lights. :)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ikendu:
- seeing posts about the ARC AAA being obviously higher quality.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
- see if [lanyard tab] seems a bit sharp to you
- much easier to scratch a CMG Ultra than it is to scratch an Arc AAA
- Arc that is tough to turn on - but that can be fixed
- found the anodizing on the Infinity to be grossly inferior
- Infinity is actually TOO thick
- anodize ...more complete in the area between the O-ring and the knurled head
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm. Obviously some very loyal and passionate ARC owners out there!
smile.gif

Although, I'd say again, I own both and use both regularly. I like them both and they both seem quite close in use and quality; just best for different purposes.

I think the key part of my original post is the word I used... "obviously" in regard to the "myth" aspect.

Qualities like "too thick", "see if it feels a bit sharp" seem to me to get more into the territory of "differences" rather than "obvious difference in quality". More like some difference of opinion... you might say.
smile.gif

I guess here's my real point about this "myth":

1. Are they both rugged and durable... yes.
2. Both quite bright for single LED...yes.
3. Make a battery last a long time...yes.
4. Compact and easy to carry...yes.
5. Both well liked by CPF members...yes.

I know I like both of mine!
smile.gif

Sorry to have imflamed passions unnecessarily!
smile.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
I like both lights as well. But the ARC is definitely higher quality. Better anodizing, more centered LED, and machined better.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the LED is fairly deeply recessed in the Infinity, wouldn't it make sense for CMG to leave the head silver to reflect any spill over light and increase total output (as with the Arc AAA) ?

I know LED don't need reflectors but take a look directly into the head and see how much light is being reflected off of the inner surface of the head.

On a related point would this make white & silver bodied versions of the Infinity brighter than the darker black, blue and green versions ?

Anyone out the done a side by side test

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point about a month ago, I had an ARC AAA 3.1 white, an ARC AAA LE 3.1, and Infinity Ultra and Ultra-G. All 4 were very close in brightness, but the Ultra and Ultra-g seemed to put out a wider, smoother beam with larger hotspot, and were much easier to turn off and on one handed. The LED in the Ultra-g was laid over to one side a little, 1. The ARC LE flickered and sometimes would not turn on once it had been turned off until i took the head out and screwed it back in (same problem that I had with an earlier AAA 3.0 white). The fit and finish on the Ultra/Ultra-g was nowhere near as good as on the ARCs, with more maching marks and uneven anodizing. The anodizing that is there seemed to wear very well though.

I do wish that the reflectors were polished on the Ultras. I polished the reflector on a green led Infinity and it did seem to help a little (added a funky secondary corona, but hey, more light is more light). I also wish that they had a more securely mounted pocketclip, and that the tab on the back for mounting a keyring was smaller and more rounded.

After playing with them all, and a couple of hotrodded Infinity's and a couple ARC AAAs in turq, I normally keep a 3.0 turq ARC in my pocket split-ringed to a purple Photon 3, and have a few Infinity Ultras on neck lanyards stashed around in vehicles, my desk and my bedside table.

Max

Enlightened
Nobody here is mentioning anything about regulation. Doesn't the Infinity Ultra use an unregulated voltage step-up circuit?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot turn my Ultra on one handed, but every arc I've ever tried (about 25) could be turned on one handed. The threads are smooth its just that it has to be cranked down before it turns on. I think its defective. Other than that I like it. I wish they would polish the reflector though.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the CMG Infinity Ultra is a very nice light, in looking at my collection of lights, I would have to say that I like my ARC AAA for my keychain, but if I needed a slightly larger light, that is ABOUT the same size as the Ultra, I would have to go with the Streamlight clipmate with the clip removed.

There is no room for a lanyard on the Clipmate, but other than that, the Clipmate is the one that I grab when I just want a small light in my pocket.

I hate to say bad things about the CMG Infinity Ultra, because it IS a nice light, and it is made by a serious flashlight company, and we all know how important it is to have serious, dedicated flashlight companies out there.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Max Said:Nobody here is mentioning anything about regulation. Doesn't the Infinity Ultra use an unregulated voltage step-up circuit?
-nope, it's definitely regulated!

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/runtimes_archive/frameset.html

look at the charts here for both these lights. the Ultra is obviously regulated, and also gives you quite a bit more runtime than the ARC.

according to the charts
power .16 at 6 hours |for ARC AAA (white)
power .20 at 6 hours |for CMG ultra

arc's regulation stops at: around 7.5 hours, with .11 power
ultra's regulation stops @: around 11 hours, with .16 power

c'mon now! over 3 more hours! and brighter overall too.

Darell

Flashaholic
The CMG SHOULD show way more regulated hours than that - it has a much bigger fuel tank.

Being as objective as I can be, the Arc is simply machined and finished better than the CMG. I don't say this because I'm a big Arc fan - rather I'm a big Arc fan because I can say this. If Arc would make a nice AA body to match the AAA, and plunk a current regulation board in there from Dat2zip, I'd be all over it.

CMG has (and is still making) some wonderful contributions to the LED lighting world. I respect them for their pioneering products (like the Infinity).