Blue and Yellow Laser Pointers

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, I just joined this forum. Hello everyone.

Since I first saw a red laser I wondered why there was only red. Then I got a green laser a few weeks ago. Now I want to know about other colors. Just curious, does anyone have pictures of a blue of yellow laser pointer in action? I would love to see them. Also do you know were to buy blue or yellow laser pointers, I heard they are fairly new, but I have not seen them. If you have one of these lasers could you tell me how bright it is compared to a red or green laser of the same power. I have a red and green laser, both are 5mw. Are there any other color laser pointers? I have never heard of violet or aqua color laser.
One last thing, I have asked many people about this and got mixed responses, is a white laser possible?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have seen blue lasers but the arew ridiculosly expensive. I want to say this same web sight had a white laser but it was in the mega thosand dollar range and was not a pointer as was the blue one. Give it a few years the green ones have drastically come down over the last few years.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Re: They are NOT \"pointers\".

I know only of LaserGlow selling a pen style yellow laser. Blue laser technology has not become compact or affordable enough to fit in a pen style enclosure.

___

<font color="brown">On a side note, I wish to make a small public service announcement.</font>

___

Can we PLEASE PLEASE stop refering to laser devices as "pointers", especially when we are refering to any laser device which exceeds the FDA/CDRH maximum rating for a pointer unit. And PLEASE stop using the reference "to point at any object".

The problem with using the word point is that it suggests a casual and inappropriate use. Like pointing your finger at someone. Pointers are used to spot and illuminate objects, and the word point suggests an unsafe method at doing so.

The words aim or direct are far more acceptable as they suggest a mental strategy and responsibility. When refering to a laser, call it a laser device or laser module or pen style laser or simply laser.

Just stop pointing!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif Raccoon

Enigmahack

Newly Enlightened

If you're serious - Holy hell, get a life man.

If you're joking as I interpret it as currently - that's got to be one of the funniest things I've heard... Pretty much ever!!! LOL
Kudos to you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Yellow DPSS laser (pointers) do exist...the one I have is large, but outputs just over 2mW at 593.5nm in the orangish-yellow portion of the spectrum. Because of its relatively low power (well within CDRH Class IIIa limits), I can still call it a pointer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My evaluation of it is at [url]http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/yelldpss.htm[/url] if you're interested.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Blue & yellow diode lasers

I should add that DPSS and directly-injected blue & violet diode lasers do exist, but they're very, very, very expensive.

DPSS blue has a wavelength of 473nm, and directly-injected blue & violet laser diodes have wavelengths of 440nm and 405nm.

Raccoon

Enlightened

Actually Enigma, I'm rather serious.

Looking at a majority of the posts on here from an outside visitor's perspective-- it gives the impression that most of the posters here are irresponsible wielders of this technology. When certain agencies look at these discussions on a whole, they can use CPF as a "good excuse" to further restrict laser technology. aka: Making our hobby illegal.

All I'm asking is that people try sounding a little more educated and responsible on this forum, and not so "point point point point point!"

It's not a fricking pointer! If it is to you, then you should leave.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Blue and Yellow Lasers

I have a couple lasers and don't consider them toys any more than I consider a chain saw or hand drill a toy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I am glad that Raccoon has chosen to post in regards to the distinctions between a pointer and a laser! You can point things out with a hand drill as well as a chain saw but be carful where you are pointing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

As a member of CPF (no moderator here) I took it upon myself to compromise the title between that which was started and that which Raccoon changed it to. (EDIT: I see this was attempted as well by others)

Just dropped by to see what was what on the yellow and blue. I leave you folks in peace! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Roithner also has yellow (593.5 nm) pen style lasers, the YLP-Pointer (0.6-2.0 mW) is USD 215.09 , the larger (C cell) GLP-III (2.0-5.0 mW) USD 612.59 .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Raccoon,
[ QUOTE ]
I know only of http://www.laserglow.com/yellowpointer.html selling a pen style yellow laser. Blue laser technology has not become compact or affordable enough to fit in a pen style enclosure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only own an older Radio Shack red laser "pointer", therefore I only read this thread because of the way it was previously paired with another forum. I would say you could "preach" to us after getting the sellers of this technology to call the devices by "your" preferred nomenclature. The link you provided calls it a "pointer", people in real life call them a pointer. The people I know that use these devices use them during a presentation to "point" at something on a video screen to bring your attention to it. I am all for proper nomenclature when it doesn't impede someone else's understanding of what you just said. Try telling someone at random about your new "laser module" and you will have them scratching their heads wondering what the heck you are talking about. Tell them about your new "laser pointer" and they at least will "have a clue". Just someone else's public service message.

Jerry

LED-FX

Enlightened
Should have mentioned that green Diode Pumped Solid State, DPSS , lasers, like your pointer, sorry handheld laser module, offers the highest Apparent brightness mW for mW.

This is because at 532nM it is very near the eyes peak of sensitivity.Red pointers at 670nM appear a lot dimmer than a red pointer at 635nM even with same power output.Same goes for yellow, green will still appear brighter for the same optical power.

Blue, like Blu Ray lasers at 405nM will appear very dim.

http://www.laservisuals.com/dva.htm

Thing to remember is that however it appears, the danger is always present , do not point a laser of any colour near your or anyone or anything elses eyes.

HTH
Adam

comozo

Enlightened
module definition: [n] a self-contained component (unit or item) that is used in combination with other components. a usually packaged functional assembly of electronic components for use with other such assemblies.
So that means a laser pointer uses a laser module. Technically there is no distinction between a laser pointer and a non laser pointer style type laser. The CDRH recognizes only classifications based on power output. The term "pointer" is merely a marketing term. Any laser can be considered a pointer if that is the intended purpose. Take for instance the GLP-III it can be called a laser system, because it is a fully integrated assembly of components that is functional or it can be called a pointer, target aquistion device or a bird deterrent... Again that is nothing more than a marketing term. What they all are, are lasers. Raccoon does make a good point, do not be irresposible with any laser because sooner or later all of those sites that sell >5wm pointers will be no more.

liteglow

Enlightened

crysta_green_blue.jpg

sanyo_bl2.jpg

yellow.jpg

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything can be taken the wrong way, and everything can be abused. It all comes down to maturity and responsibility. I trust my 10 year old with my greenie, but keep in mind he has seen some of the LASERS I worked on, and he understands what can happin. Some people should not be allowed to handle LASERs. example: moron playing with fireworks can take off a finger or too, but a nice LASER module can take out SOMEONE elses vision. Just take the attage, DO UNTO OTHERS. If you wouldent like half a zillion photons bruning your retina, DON'T take a chance of doing it to someone else.

PLAY SAFE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Jeff

comozo

Enlightened

Just a thought. The word *aim* can have aggressive connotations you might not want use such a word.

Bond007

Newly Enlightened

I don't know if I say this purely because they are rarer (and I haven't seen one live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) but the blue lasers look gorgeous lol,

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Gentlemen, pointer or no pointer, please take the time to read the statement at the top of each page of this forum, and try to act accordingly.
This isn't just some advice, it's the rules and they are to follow. There are serious regulations about lasers, and we have to follow them to protect this place and ourselves from harm.
Act and post in a responsable and adult fashion and we shall have fun here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard; moderator

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
As bond007 said, I don't know if it is just because I have not seen one before but that blue laser is a perfect blue. I just wish I had enough $$$$$$$$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Latest posts