• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Introducing: Groovy! CNC-123, the prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="blue"> Introducing the CNC-123 Groovy! </font>

Your feedback on its looks, functionality, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
CNC-123-Rev-J-sideview.jpg

What have CNC_Dan and I changed/added?

First, we have designed the light to be able to accept three different optics/reflectors without much modification at all. The new head will take the Lux NX05 and Fraen narrow beam optics as drop-ins; just add the O-ring and it is done. The IMS 17mm reflector just needs the very bottom of its legs trimmed, and then, it too, just plops in place. However, the reflector is designed to be used with our Borofloat lens, so that gets put on top of the reflector, you add the O-ring and you are done.

Speaking of O-rings, the Groovy! now comes with all seams/interfaces protected by O-rings, or in the case of the tailcap area, by the Kroll rubber boot. So the Groovy! will be watertight, but not designed for diving.

And speaking of seams, can you see the bezel/head seam? A very special thank you to andrewwynn for suggesting that modification.

Notice the body has been simplified, there is one combined battery/tailcap tube which holds both the CR123 battery and the Kroll switch.

And did I mention the grooves? Those in the head are great heat dissipators and feel great in your fingertips. The rear grooves are, believe it or not, replacements for the traditional knurling. When one wants to turn the light on by pressing on the Kroll switch, it can be a one-handed operation as the grooves stop your fingers from sliding forward. The rear grooves will cause a lot less wear and tear on your clothes, also, if you EDC it. [EDIT]: Should you want more grip, see the photo below with O-rings placed in the grooves.

As far as what you can use for drivers, just about any of the standard .55" diameter sandwiches will work just by dropping in. We do offer a retaining ring to hold the sandwich in place so that it won't drop out when changing the battery. [EDIT]: The Groovy! will be exclusively powered either with a NexGen 500 or the NexGen 750, your choice!

Here is a retouched photo showing the seams eliminated:
GROOVY!-modded.jpg

Now use your imagination and consider adding some O-ring to the grooves at the back:
Groovy!_ringed.jpg

We'll post additional photos as the design nears completion.

Anticipated price? $120

[EDIT]: Length: 3.31"; Maximum diameter: just under 1"; Weight 2.2 oz.

[EDIT#2]: Yes, the body will be available separately. And extension tubes to convert the light to a two-cell CR123 set-up may also be available.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great Fred, and the lanyard hole is a very welcome addition! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I think this is going to be a very popular item!

A couple of questions:

What exactly is included for the $111 price.

Will this body style be offered in HAIII?

Peter

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your new light better than the last one. The design is much more fluid and attractive. Too bad you couldn't hide the tailcap seam with a groove. A couple more and it disappears also. Is that a lanyard hole, or a mounting fitting? I like a lanyard, but with this setup it won't stand on it's end. Maybe another hole, or a groove would work. Overall a very attractive piece. I particularly like the polished look, maybe with a shiny coating.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
Is that a lanyard hole, or a mounting fitting? I like a lanyard, but with this setup it won't stand on it's end.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you attach your lanyard with a knot on the inboard side of the cap it should work fine.

Peter

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

The basic price of $111 would be for a TK with optic and a BB500 sandwich. Might be a tad more for the reflector/lens option.

As for HAIII--let's hear it from everyone if they want that choice. Right now it is our intent to only offer it in nickel plated. If you want HAIII, would you prefer natural or some color, i.e., black?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight,

Love that nick, btw.

There is no tailcap seam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You are looking at the external grooves at the switch end of the light.

This light does stand on either end, if you follow Peter's suggestion--the Kroll switch is well recessed within the body and does not protrude at all. The possibility exists to add another hole close to the one shown, so that one could use a clip-on clasp, or a split ring and still be able to stand the light on end then, too.

That is a lanyard hole and not for mounting any fitting, although one might be able to tap the hole for one.

What you are looking at for finish on the prototype is just the bare aluminum that has been polished a bit and embellished a bit more with some Simichrome polish. The finished light will be similar with the nickel plating.

Personally I am a big fan of the nickel finish; it is durable, not quite as hard as anodized aluminum, but it doesn't chip as anodized aluminum can; it looks great; and it feel wonderfull to touch. Possibility exists to heat treat the nickel plate to make it even harder.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonFanatic said:
Peter,

The basic price of $111 would be for a TK with optic and a BB500 sandwich. Might be a tad more for the reflector/lens option.

As for HAIII--let's hear it from everyone if they want that choice. Right now it is our intent to only offer it in nickel plated. If you want HAIII, would you prefer natural or some color, i.e., black?

[/ QUOTE ]

That certainly seems reasonable to me, especially considering that I see it will be nickel plated. I had assumed that it would be bare Al, like the originals. I think this original CNC-123 form factor will be a winner for you, lots of folks here have been awaiting the return of the original design.

I think you will see demand for Nickel plated, bare Al, and some form of HAIII. I think the bodies will also be in demand for those who have their own modules.

Peter

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

Bare aluminum as a possibility had sort of slipped past me, but I will admit that it is gorgeous when properly polished.

Hmm, maybe I'll add a poll to see what people might like in terms of finishes.

[EDIT]: See it is too late to add a poll, so just express your choices as we roll along, please.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stephen,

Sure, why not and any color under the rainbow, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since we will sell the body as a stand alone, I'm sure that you'll be able to offer up some side emitter sandwiches for those who really, really want them.

Seriously I had not thought of side emitters, we were planning on doing just something along the lines of a BB500, but with a TW0J, white, high dome emitter.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
This keeps getting better and better. I initially was thinking the TK would be bare Al with a BB500 TX1J. When you add in the nickel plating and the premium bin, it just makes it sweeter.

Peter

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the nickel plating.
The lines of the groovy look great. I like the fact that there are orings through out also.

mut

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooooh aaaah
Those look nice. Definately in for one of the nickel ones.

mut

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I see you have discovered your Father's Light Sabre. This it the weapon of the Jedi Knight."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Neat looking light. For some reason though i still like the hex-bodied origonal CNC-123 better though. I think it's a winner, If you got rid of the fins at the tail end and added some texture or knurling to the main body i think that might bake it look even better. As it sits right now it's pretty for pictures but the first thing that comes to mind is fingerprint magnet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif HA3 Black might be nice though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonFanatic said:
These were both just polished and photographed. Bare aluminum on the top, nickel plated on the bottom:

CNC-123-Nickel-AL2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Which jewelry stores will be stocking these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
These look awesome !
These look like they belong under a glass display!

Status
Not open for further replies.