EZ headlamp mod, Ray-O-Vac 3 stage $12.95

cy

Flashaholic
EZ headlamp mod, Ray-O-Vac 3 stage $12.95 at Wallyworld.
all you need is a Luxeon star at least Kbin to match the 3x AAA cells for direct drive. I used a TWOK star.

the star bolts in with the existing 3 screws. simply solder two small length of telephone wire from board to star. Then remove aprox. 1/4in of the reflector to fit star.

that's it.. you now have a three stage led light.

1. two red led's
2. one white led
3. Luxeon for high

headband is fairly comfortable. luxeon beam is useful for close work. Don't know the runtime yet...

rayovac headlamp 2.JPG

rayovac headlamp.JPG

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Nice, easy mod, cy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Do the 3 mounting screws and underlying material provide sufficient heat sinking? Any idea if it runs too hot on new cells? I imagine that the internal resistance of the AAA cells would prevent too much of a problem.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 4 of those headlamps for $5.95 each when they were on sale at Menard's. I don't like the beam of the incandescent lamp. Is the beam any better with the Luxeon?

Where did you get the Luxeon star and how much did it cost?

David

cy

Flashaholic
light so far doesn't even get warm, but I have not done long runtime test yet. just put it together tonight.

very impressed with the quality of the head harness.

of course with the luxeon, hi beam is much improved. You should be able to get some nice high bin stars without any problems for aprox. $18.

Kbin was the highest bin I had on hand. it matchs voltage of nmh AAA's I plan on getting.

Guliver

Newly Enlightened
Great Job cy, Just what I was lookin for .. I just pick two of these up for work today..Talk about timing !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gonna mod mine now.
Marconi

StuU

Enlightened
You can further mod these Ray-o-vacs besides setting in a luxeon. I replaced the 2 red leds with white leds so that I have 3 white leds running at 30ma each. That is the first switch setting. I like red leds but not on a headlamp...

The second switch runs the luxeon at about 130ma. The 3rd switch setting runs the luxeon on direct drive. The board on this light is pretty easy to work with. You can get all these settings just by bridging around the board with different resistors.

A very useful light.

Guliver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you StuU , I was thinking the same with the Red LEDS.
Im set on modding it tomarrow.
Happy New Year guys and thanks
Marconi

mrme

Enlightened
So, how is it heatsinked?
It looks like the Star is srewed down to a piece of plastic, so the only thermal paths are around the edges of the star and through the plastic. That would hold all the heat in the light where you wouldn't feel it and lead to a short lived Luxeon.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice mod.

If you want a more serious headlamp mod, check out what I did with my Balck Diamond Headlamp Mods.

cy

Flashaholic
Kbin luxeon is only drawing 394 milliamps. I purposely matched luxeon's vf to power source.

AAA alk's internal resistance is also limiting current. will remeasure draw after getting nmh AAA's.

cy

Flashaholic
OK, just did a 35 min runtime test.

after 15 minutes body was 91 degrees, star was 141 degrees F
as measure by Raytek IR gun

at end of test body was 78 degrees, star was 128 degrees with reflect assembly removed.

luxeon apeared to remain at same brightness thru entire test. We'll see how this holds up under real life conditions. light is O-ring'd and apears to be at least water resistant.

this mod was never meant to be a high end headlamp. just a EZ rugged 3 stage headlamp w/decent head-straps mod. besides, if you don't like it. simply recycle your star.

rayovac temp.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
I simply place the reflector assemly in my lathe and turn it down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you can do the same thing by first drilling a 1/4in hole in reflector, then sand down base to get rid of donut in beam.

StuU

Enlightened
cy-if you decide to replace the red leds, go for it. I had one problem with replacing the led underneath the switch. After I had completed the mod, it seemed that the one led was blinking a bit. It turned out that the led under the switch leaves limited space to do a good solder job....however, I was able to resolder and make a solid contact.

Also, running the luxeon on direct-drive from 3AAA does not seem to result in over-heating to any serious extent. Maybe because the luxeon draws down the voltage of the AAA to a manageable level.

cy

Flashaholic
nah, I'm going to leave my Red led's alone for now. maybe later. headlamp works great as is. the single led stage is aprox. same brightness as ARC AAA.

sure seems to be a rugged mod so far. we'll see. I really like how the three stage switch works.

cy

Flashaholic
reporting back,, finding out just how handy a headlamp can be.

modded light seems to be very durable. still on the same set of batteries.

Mut came over and show off his new Lamda bi-pin LED with 35 hours runtime. it apears to be slight brighter than TNC N-cell.

the bi-pin LED should plug right in this headlamp with almost no mod. running 3x nmh is right within spec's of new bi-pin LED.

also the 2x AA $6 ray-o-vac version of this headlamp should host the new lamda bi-pin LED perfect.

spyder

Newly Enlightened
Cy,

What timing, another father in my son's Boy Scout troop was selling these last night at the troop meeting (one of his vendors offered them to him for us cheap) and I grabbed a couple. I'm a newbie but can solder, what model number LS should I get and where do you suggest? I'll be using alkalines instead of NiMh.

Thanks!

Spyder

carnal

Newly Enlightened
How about a Luxeon III TWOJ under the hood? Would it work direct drive ok?

Thanks,
Brian

cy

Flashaholic
TWOJ would probably work OK, but it would draw more current. there is no heatsinking at all.

Since my last report. I've ran thru two sets of 3x AAA batt's. got 6 hours+ off each set. output dimmed thru life. never ran a set of cells dead. seems it would keep going for a long time. I simply replaced cells after 6 hours or so.

This is an excellent mod for hands free work.

cy

Flashaholic
my nephew may try this out for his first mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif