Foxfury Scout
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G-shock Tough solar problem

Flashaholic

Default Re: G-shock Tough solar problem

Had the same problem with my Solar Atomic. I replaced the CTL1616 and that solved the problem. The battery is available from Casio, but it was a chore to find and order it. I think I finally wound up ordering it via their accessory phone number. (I also got a new gasket kit while I was at it.)

I think Wingerr is right on the mark - the advantage of the solar charging is that it can support high current functions like an electronic compass, radio receiver, etc without requiring frequent battery changes.

Cheers,
    Bob

When I checked Amazon to see how people liked their Casios, there were swoons of praise and love for their eternal perpetual solar watches that were also atomically correct.

What they have overlooked in the first two weeks of ownership and bliss is that the battery is a storage battery nevertheless with a limited life span. In fact the life span may well be less than the non rechargable one for many users. For example, I have yet to have an Li cell need replacement and I have used some of the Casios for at least a few years each.

It is amusing also that the atomic versions are sold in places (here in Alaska, for example) far out of contact with the beam. I do like the fact that truly dedicated owners point theirs each evening towards ST ( formerly known as the Supreme Transmitter).

I ordered a replacement battery ffor my Tough Solar(directly from Casio) and plan to use the watch as a toy. For serious and dependable timekeeping, I bought an old style Illuminator G shock. Does (and has done in the past) everything I want and with reliability and convenience far exceeding a Rolex or a Solar Atomic. it is also substantially thinner. Wearing the newer G shocks that have become gargantuan sometimes feels like having a tree stump attached to my wrist.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Minjin
    Well, these G Shocks seem to have problems. And the older Seiko Kinetics had lots of problems as well. But Citizen Eco Drives seem to be rock solid. I've rarely heard of a battery in an Eco Drive going bad and I recall a knowledgable Citizen rep saying that the cells were rated to 30 years...

Mark
    I have two Citizen ECO drives with ZERO battery issues. I just wish they'd make one with a backlight!!! However, the rotary knob on my Skyhawk is getting a bit sloppy. The modes selected are often the modes next to it. Especially the date...

Flashaholic*

Another vote for Citizen Eco-drive

Flashaholic*

I have had a tough solar g5600 for five years, no problems at all. I have to charge it in the sun for around 12 hours twice a year (the winters are long and dark in Sweden, and my watch seldoms sees the sun otherwise). Going by my experience, I would recommend it. But I'm less enthusiastic now, hearing what you guys been through.

Unenlightened

Rant Re: G-shock Tough solar problem

I have the same watch (G-2800). I've had it for several years (approx. 3) and it has worked great. I live in Florida and it charges fine. All of a sudden, the light stopped working and it stopped reaching the "top" charge level. Everything else still works great but I can't use a watch that I can't see at night so no light is pretty bad.

Like someone said, replacing it with another tough solar totally defeats the purpose since a regular battery can be replaced (much cheaper too) and doesn't add an entire watch to the land fills.

I'm really disappointed with this purchase. I was hoping it would be my last worry about battery changing. It was definitely not a cheap option. I'm going to call Casio on Monday and see if they "offer" any help/suggestions if it's not in warranty. If they don't, it hits the trash.

Meanwhile I'm using an old Timex Iron-man that still works great with a two-year old battery.

p.s. Thanks to the person who said NOT to change battery to non LithIon.... Although it's tempting to make it blow up just for fun.

Unenlightened

By the way, the Casio site says the rechargeable battery will "last for as long as the watch".... and it also says it should recharge while in use as long as under sunlight or fluorescent light.... I've had mine sitting in the Miami sun for a week (not repositioning to solar angle) and still no backlight. Also, it has never had a lower charge indication than 90%.

I have the Casio GW5600J (solar/waveceptor) for two years now. Power bars read 2/3 when I unpacked it. First day in the sun and it's been 3/3 ever since, despite my nocturnal lifestyle. The sleep mode probably accounts for the extra low battery drain. The only issue I have is being so far from Colorado it's not good at receiving the time signal, which requires finding an open outdoor location and letting it sit motionless for the required several minutes. Anything other than a continuous 3/3 reception for those minutes and the watch will read ERR (error).

Glad this was posted...I was tempted by the atomic-solar of a 5600 series. Seems that from various reviews on Amazon, this still exists to some extent. Sad...this would be an excellent time piece if not for that chrage capacitor/battery issue. The lithium powered cells still do the job.
    Mike

Interesting thread here.

I have a related question / problem . . . .

My Casio G-Force wristwatch, GW-M5600 (module 3063) is 16 months old,

and i've just noticed the display will "fog" internally on left side (only)

if held in front of an Air Conditioner duct for a few minutes.

This happened during a car ride yesterday.

Does this indicate it has suffered Water Damage ? ? ?

Never been any deeper than washing my hands in the sink,
    so i oughta' be safe in THAT regard, right ?

What is the Casio warranty period, for this watch ? (i bought it thru Amazon)

Is this something which can be "repaired" ?

Or does it hafta' be replaced ?

I like everything about this watch, so i'm really not happy
    about finding a Replacement.

Thank you, everyone, for any assistance you can provide me here.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Interesting thread here.

I have a related question / problem . . . .

My Casio G-Force wristwatch, GW-M5600 (module 3063) is 16 months old,

and i've just noticed the display will "fog" internally on left side (only)

if held in front of an Air Conditioner duct for a few minutes.

This happened during a car ride yesterday.

Does this indicate it has suffered Water Damage ? ? ?

Never been any deeper than washing my hands in the sink,
    so i oughta' be safe in THAT regard, right ?

What is the Casio warranty period, for this watch ? (i bought it thru Amazon)

Is this something which can be "repaired" ?

Or does it hafta' be replaced ?

I like everything about this watch, so i'm really not happy
    about finding a Replacement.

Thank you, everyone, for any assistance you can provide me here.

_
    Your watch should have that covered under their 10 year warranty. Atleast that is what I read in the manual.

Deleted
    Last edited by CaNo; 08-11-2010 at 05:16 AM.

I guess Im one of the lucky few. Ive had my atomic solar for a couple years now and have never had an issue. In fact I abuse mine pretty bad.

After reading all these posts Ill probably stop throwing it in the dishwasher every couple weeks to clean it.

Unenlightened

Perhaps with solar (and any other watches) you need to consider this:
    - if normal watch is abused, the battery just gets replaced and noone will hear about this.
    - you really should not leave your watch on the sun. The heat WILL destroy the secondary battery.
    - you should not deplete (completely discharge) the secondary battery. It WILL destroy the secondary battery.
    The more age the watch (battery) gets, the less is the capacity. It means, when exposed to the light, the battery stays full - but using eg backlight will empty it at once.

There are of course more:
    - using backlight VERY often will prematurely age the battery;
    - in hot climate the battery will age faster (the same as with car batteries).

I want to know more information about watch.Can help me anybody?If anybody help me i will be highly great full to you...............

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    This is an old thread but since someone dug it up I will comment:

The solar models use a lithium Ion battery, LiIon lifespan is sensitive to overcharge and over discharge. I imagine there isn't a very good circuit in the watch to prevent these from happening.

It would take an extra ordinary effort to overcharge one of these watches though, it takes about 12-18 hrs in full direct summer sun to fully charge it. That doesn't mean wearing it outside either, it means leaving it outside pointing at the sun for a couple days in a row. (don't forget to readjust it every couple hours to track the sun) Alternatively you can place it 8" under a 30w florescent for 120hrs!

DO NOT replace the LiIon battery with a regular Li battery. The watch will try to charge it. This will cause the cell to leak or possible burst.

PS Above times were from combination of Casio and Eco Drive manuals.
    Use a CR1616 it will not burst that is to funny. I know of many people using the cr1616 for 3 plus years me for one.

Quote Originally Posted by sotyakr View Post
    The exact same thing happened to my just over year old GW300. Guess that shot down one of the main reasons for getting it in the first place (no maintenance). At least I had an out as it was purchased at Costco, and they have a great return policy. I need a new beater watch for work, and would like to give another "Tough Solar" G-Shock a shot, but needless to say, I'm a little hesitant.
    I just bumped into this thread.
    I've also got an old GW300 from Costco.
    Something like $45, value you can't even find these days.
    Still ticking like brand new.
    Every time I see it drop down to MED battery life. I always take it to the window sill and charge it back up.

My Casio G-Force wristwatch, GW-M5600 (module 3063) is 16 months old
    Almost three years now, still working?

My solar watch lasted 4 months. It's damn hard to find a number to the company. Dealers want to charge half the price of my watch for my batt replacement. Aargh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post

Almost three years now, still working?

StarHalo --

Yes, my watch is still working Just Fine !

Don't know WHY it had that "fogged" condition 1.5 years ago,
    but I have NOT noticed it for more than a year now.

(knock on wood)

I really love this watch, and if i Lost it tomorrow,
    would immediately order another one !

_

I really love this watch, and if i Lost it tomorrow,
    would immediately order another one !
    Looks like a solid, straightforward unit; those G-Shocks last forever, you'll be able to hand it down one day.

By the way . . . .

I bought mine 3/2009, for 86 dollars.

Just checked (same vendor), and it is now 150 dollars !

_

Just checked (same vendor), and it is now 150 dollars !
    Yeah, I noticed it was a bit steep for a classic-style G, you might have a classic on your hands..

Flashaholic*

Semibump...
    Quote Originally Posted by LowBat View Post
    I have the Casio GW5600J (solar/waveceptor) for two years now. Power bars read 2/3 when I unpacked it. First day in the sun and it's been 3/3 ever since, despite my nocturnal lifestyle. The sleep mode probably accounts for the extra low battery drain. The only issue I have is being so far from Colorado it's not good at receiving the time signal, which requires finding an open outdoor location and letting it sit motionless for the required several minutes. Anything other than a continuous 3/3 reception for those minutes and the watch will read ERR (error).
    I have the same watch (Casio GW5600J), it is my favorite watch that I have ever owned (but I'm not a watch collector or anything). My power bars read 2/3 a couple of days after I got it and I was slightly concerned. The sun was terrible that time of year, so I left it in the window for 2 days with terrible sun on overcast days and it has stayed at 3/3 bars ever since. I have had the watch about 4 months. I think the battery concerns are a thing of the past, resulting from defective/poor performing cells IIRC (I think I read they even changed the labeling of the cell).

Additionally, I would estimate that my watch syncs 95% (or more) of the time when it does the automatic sync every night. I leave the watch on my wrist while I sleep (I am about 1300 miles away). The manual sync is not as easy in my experience, I think this may be due to interference from my cell phone (usually in my pocket when I try a manual sync) and other interference that is increased during the daytime. I did notice that the manual says the receiving indicator clears everyday at 2AM, mine clears at 1AM. I am assuming this is just a typo in the manual, as I referenced other similar Gshocks and they seem to reset at 1AM.

Yes or no: G-Shock Mini

Flashaholic*

Looks good with the negative display, but I have become very fond of my solar and atomic functions. Aren't the mini and baby G's womens watches?

The Minis are being advertised in the US as women's watches, but are billed as unisex everywhere else. Kind of silly since some of the available color schemes are obviously not feminine..

Last edited by StarHalo; 04-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Flashaholic*

I wondered why they do that, they market the mini and the baby as womens for some reason. A lot of the Gshocks seem too big, that's why I like my GW5600J, not very clunky/flashy and not big. I hope they come out with a negative display with solar/atomic feature, I'd like to own another Gshock.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    I hope they come out with a negative display with solar/atomic feature, I'd like to own another Gshock.
    That'd be the 9110, just came out recently..

Flashaholic*

Thanks, for some reason those aren't on the U.S. page, I don't know why they only release certain models in Europe, Japan, etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12