Inexpensive Luxeon: CMG Reactor, Inretech, ?

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I've searched, read, looked, and I'm still not sure what I want to do, so I figured I'd just ask
smile.gif
I have an Arc AAA that started an LED facination, I have a few other LED lights, but I've wanted a Luxeon.. I have been really busy and hadn't been paying attention to the LED world, last time I looked the Arc LS was about the only Luxeon out there, now there are several options at ~$30.

I have a Mag AA, it's well used, I've had it about 12 years, so it's a solid light. So the inretech sounds good in that respect, and I think I read that it's brighter.

On the other hand, while the Reactor looks like a AA Mag with a big head, a new flashlight sounds nice too. But I hear it's not particularly bright.

With the same batteries, which is brighter? 10+ hours of runtime is more than enough, brightness is what's important to me in this comparison. I'm also curious about the beams, and most importantly, the color. Are the recent versions of both still puke green, random, or are they actually white now?

Now I just have to keep from ordering one or the other until I get some responses ;-) Thanks
smile.gif

shipinretech

Enlightened
I am incredibly biased, but I like the InReTech adapters I have, too. As for brightness, it is really quite good for longer than the incandescant bulb, and it is useful for weeks afterwards. I would have really loved to have had this light back when I was in the Navy. I am very proud to be making this product.

I can say that with fresh batteries, it is too bright to illuminate things that are within arms reach. Hitting reflective surfaces up close is painful for quite some time. It will light up modern license plates for more than a block. It is a good practical light, although it is not the ultimate hobbyist light.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Khaytsus:
Are the recent versions of both still puke green, random, or are they actually white now?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">All the posts I am seeing indicate... random.

...and will be until Luxeon has other competitors (perhaps a long time).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I too wanted an inexpensive LS...you know about that ole' "you get what you pay for" statement though.

I broke down and ordered the InReTech 2AA LS for the minimag. Unfortunately it's a few weeks before they get anymore (according to them, eh?). It's probably longer than you want to wait, but as soon as I get it - I'll post my thoughts (though there are already other postings around here to that effect...)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have considered the InRetech 2AA LS adapter, but don't want to order an LS for use with 2 lithium AA's unless I am assured that the LS's are chosen for very low forward voltage.

Thus, the only unregulated, unresistored LS I've bought thus far is my current order for a Lambda Safety Illuminator for $34.50. This is from a batch of Q2H luxeons with atypically low forward voltages of 3.0 to 3.2 V. (3.4 is the average per the specs.) The price difference between $20 and $34.50 is essentially the cost of a Brinkman Legend AA.

I imagine that InReTech will be able to advise what forward voltages they have when they have them. I haven't, for example, been able to find out the forward voltage on the triple LS light they're auctioning for the Craig fund.

shipinretech

Enlightened
lemlux,

I am going to finish the endurance check the TRILIGHT has been running tonight after 96 hours. After that I will put in some fresh batteries and do the check. I am sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier, but verifying endurance is important to me since I see it as one of the primary selling points of InReTech adapters.

This morning it was still putting a noticable white spot on the wall, but it wasn't nearly as bright as it had been. Of course, this is an order of magnitude longer than incandescant lights will run. This is a light you will want to reach for in an emergency you don't know how long will last.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patrick:

You'll note my "thus far" qualifier in my comments. I would not be surprised to order an InRetech product in the future.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
To add note, I emailed inretech after my post here, and I got a reply (and several chatting-responses after
smile.gif
within 20 minutes, and after a bit more investigating, I purchased the 2AA kit to put in my beat up Mag
smile.gif

Hopefully the color will be okay, I was told that the color is generally very white, but looks green IF it's very close up on a white surface. In normal cases it's white.

As for using Lithiums, has there been a definate answer on if this is safe? I'm not sure if I will or not, but I'd likely play with it if it's safe.

Can't wait to get it
smile.gif

shipinretech

Enlightened
This is kind of funny to me because in another thread somebody is talking about hitting their LED flashlight on iron until it breaks and here people are concerned about risk of destruction.

We have tested the InReTech adapter with lithium batteries and have not had a failure. The original concern was voiced by Craig Johnson and it is a very valid one. The problem we face is that destructive testing with expensive batteries is something we don't have the budget for. I am not making a promise on this, but I haven't seen a failure with one yet. I have suggested putting the flashlight in the freezer for the first five minutes of operation with lithium batteries. So far, I have not heard reports of magic smoke escaping from our adapter because of lithium batteries.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Khaytsus-

From what I've read at CPF if the choice is between a Reactor and an Inretech you'll get opinions that are positive and negative for both. I'm convinced that for the money, a mod is the way to go and an InReTECH is a mod. I don't know if Mr. Bulk's LGI would be considered cheap but it seems to be considered a valuable, bright LS...none available right now.

Originally posted by shipinretech:
This is kind of funny to me because in another thread somebody is talking about hitting their LED flashlight on iron until it breaks and here people are concerned about risk of destruction.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Patrick-
Is that about the question from your customer, Khaytsus?

lemlux-
$34.95 for a whole rig containing a highly selected LS sounds good. Lamda's site is showing that they are not taking anymore orders. Has that boat sailed for now?

Wolfen-
yea buddy! I'm firing up dat2zip's thread several times a day. Maybe Monday? Can hardly wait. What a beautiful piece of work that is.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by shipinretech:
This is kind of funny to me because in another thread somebody is talking about hitting their LED flashlight on iron until it breaks

Stimulated by this statement and inspired by a now convalescing Craig, I recently subjected my MAGAA/Inretech to a "Flashlight vs radiator" punishment test similar to my "Reactor vs radiator" test (see thread). I applied twelve increasingly powerful "wacks" of the Inretech against the protruding cast iron fin of a massive old fashioned steam radiator.

I am happy to report that both the MAG and the Inretech came through with flying colors. The only slight negative was that at the twelth powerful hit, the collimator popped out due to chipping of the the thin plastic rim which surrounds it for the purpose of avoiding this very effect. Remarkably, Inretech's tough little creation contined to blaze busily away, its brilliance undiminished by the violence viited upon it. I reinserted the original MAG lens, installed the collimator behind it and re connected the Mag head to its body to create a fully functionag light.

If I were to make the most gentle of suggestions to Inretech (Patrick) it would be that the diameter of the collimator "edge" by slightly expanded to lessen the chances of this happening in a real life accident.

Since the Inretech had done so well in the radiator test, I decided to test in against a thick, solid tile floor supported by a thick concrete bed. This is one of the hardest and most demanding surfaces imaginable.

I held the Mag/Inretech at chest height and released it onto the floor. It survived three drops with out protest.

Now came the toughest test of all: "the head first drops". These drops are so threatening to flashlights that Surefire's shock absorbing bezels were designed to protect against them. (They mitigate other shocks as well, but if you study the construction of the bezel it is clear that the design protects mainly against this specific kind of threat.)

Again, I dropped the MAGAA/INRETECH three times from chest height head-first. Quite surprisingly the MAG/Inretech shrugged off these very severe hits. This Mod is EXTREMELY tough!

Brightnorm, frankly it's downright stupid to do these ridiculous tests. What's your problem? ((BN)

If you've ever hiked/trekked on a dark night over rough terrain, dropped your light on the rocks or on hard ground and had it go out, then you will see the importance of these tests. Why do you think that Craig "punishes" lights? To make sure they won't fail you when you need them.

....We have tested the InReTech adapter with lithium batteries and have not had a failure... ....I am not making a promise on this, but I haven't seen a failure with one yet...

I have run fresh lithiums in the MAGAA/INRETECH on several occasions, for a total of more than 50 hours. The light continues to function perfectly to this day.

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak:

I fear that the boat has sailed. This is the first Lambda production announcement that I've been quick enough to take advantage of. I think I've missed about 6 prior boats. (Without checking, $34.95 may have been the price if $34.50 isn't)

On another thread, Dat2Zip indicates that he is not sorting and binning Luxeons for his current run of BadBoy400's, BadBoy 500's, or Mad Maxes.

I have hopes that InReTech will be able give us more prior input on the LS's they offer in their drop-ins as the Luxeon ordering business stabilizes.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm-

Could you not come up with a more abusive test? I've read it twice now and can't stop laughing. Great review! Good words for InReTECH.

lemlux-

On Lambda: Thanks for confirming that. I'm hearing yet another "Eeeeeeh Ooooooh."

On InReTech: True to form...nice of you to be so cordial with your honest, supportive coax. You realize that they are based in Oregon, right?

On dat2zip: I'll be following your lead and getting two BADBOYS. I'd prefer two lights that leaned toward angry but I figured getting two might net a better chance at luck-of-the draw. Also, out of consideration to InReTech and pure curiousity; I've opened a new thread asking for views on dat2zip's products. Empath seems to be OK with this.

With helpful direction from you and some of the other pros I'm seeing that allot of the fun in owning a special flashlight is knowing that you have something that is highly functional and very scarce. It might be fun if 10 years down the road a few of the talented modders have become corporate conglomerates and you have their prototypes, incased in glass. How would you illuminate them? Wonder what an original MAG prototype would go for on EBAY?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
From CPF:

---
Brightnorm, frankly it's downright stupid to do
If you've ever hiked/trekked on a dark night over rough terrain, dropped your light on the rocks or on hard ground and had it go out, then you will see the importance of these tests. Why do you think that Craig "punishes" lights? To make sure they won't fail you when you need them.
---

When you are out in the middle of nowhere and its dark, a flashlight is a very important tool; to keep you from tripping over a little branch growing out in the middle of the path or replacing that fuse/breaker in your garage that just decided to blow/trip at the most convenient time

Taking a little tiny piece of wire and heating it to 5840F, just doesn't sound like its going to stand up to being dropped

Mike
www.inretech.com

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for reference, I have reviewed both the Inretech and the CMG Reactor. Click on the graphic below to go to my site, then click on "Reviews" button. Or I think they're both still listed under "new reviews" at the top of the main page. Both are direct driven luxeons. The CMG had a slight greenish tint and the Inretech more so. The CMG was notably brighter on both alkalines and lithiums. This probably has to do with the individual luxeon star, since they are all different.... Either would be a good choice.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
brightnorm, were those drop tests done with the original mag lens in front of the collimator? the collimator on mine chipped off enough on 1 accidental fall (2 feet) that i had to replace the original lens to get it to turn off. until my replacement lens arrives i feel using both lenses makes for a more durable unit. maybe mine was defective? ps. just picked up nite-ize mini lite-lok, a swiveling belt clip that works very well and makes the mini-mag hands free! makes a great light that much better!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy,

If you are the one complaining about the 9 volt battery in your meter, Get Radio Shack's 9 volt Battery Eliminator, Cat. No. 273-1552.

I was thinking about it and decided to see if they still had it. I am just not sure if it is you or someone else who has been griping about the 9V not lasting long enough.
smile.gif