Just created my first expensive paperweight!

Gabriel

Newly Enlightened
I ran a 330 ohm resistor from the potentiometer to the case, without actually soldering it on. This was a 5mw unit from wickedlasers. It worked fine, but when I tried to mount it, I lost the output. I removed the mod and tried again, and still no response! I got a few flickers of light, and one large burst, but then nothing more. Oh well. :p

Looks like I just made my first expensive paperweight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LeaKeD

Newly Enlightened
i did too long before you.. you just need to accept yer loss

Raccoon

Enlightened
330 ohm is way too low. You might as well used a paperclip.

Gabriel

Newly Enlightened
I was informed that 200-500 ohm was the best resistance. As it happens, I do take A-Level electronics: Systems and control, and i measured the resistance without skipping the POT of the whole system, and then with skipping the system, without turning the laser on before I tested it. The operating current didn't actually increase that much, and the difference in resistance was about 540 ohms, so proportionally not that great a chunk in terms of potential difference.

~Christian

LaserMod

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif Don't worry, my score is 5 now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Raccoon

Enlightened
Buy one from Arnold. He'll ask you not to modify it, and you'll be happy to oblige.

Tip in today's industry: "You get what you paid for." That is, instead of paying $59, try paying $99 or more. If you've destroyed 5 pointers at $59, think what that money could have bought you in unmodified power.

Gabriel

Newly Enlightened
Half the fun is doing it yourself! But I agree, if you buy cheap only, you will get cheap only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif!

Nothing to stop you modifying though. Unless you really want 3000 hours of continuous use out of a laser that you really have no use that consumes that amount of time for...