Best Replacement Bulb for Mag 2C

krisco

Newly Enlightened
I've got an older 2-C Maglite that really has a yellow light to it and is not very bright. My assumption is that the bulb is getting really old. What is the best replacement bulb to get for this light?

Thanks

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A KPR112...

Although you have to replace the C cells with 3x123A.

It is one of the cheapest, brightest mods out there!

Use 5/8" heater hose with a split down one side to hold the 123s, and make some sort of spring mod to get the connection.

Or else you COULD try a M*g Xenon Star 2 cell bulb.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
krisco said:
I've got an older 2-C Maglite that really has a yellow light to it and is not very bright. My assumption is that the bulb is getting really old. What is the best replacement bulb to get for this light?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I found a Hong Kong 2.4 volt 1.2 amp bulb for mine, I wish I knew who made it.
It's right on par with a 3 cell magg in output.

There is also a 1.9 amp 2 cell halogen somewhere on the net that will put your light in the same league as a 6 cell on just 2 c cell batteries.
Found it GH88 is the one. web page

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people around here like Radio Shack brand bulbs as well as Maglite. I prefer the Energizer brand for some of my mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

krisco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. Playboy, I'll have to try that little trick and see how it works. Doesn't sound too hard.

krisco

Newly Enlightened
Playboy, forgot to ask you, where can I get the KPR112 and what amount of lumens will it give me?

3rd Shift, thanks for the website info.

davidra

Enlightened
Radio Shack. And I like to use a piece of PVC pipe instead of heater hose....it's easier to cut and the batteries slide right in (when you get the right size). Heavily wrap electical tape around the tube at the top and bottom to keep it from rattling, stick 3 123's in, change the bulb, and you'll never use a stock mag again. Ever.

RussH

Enlightened
I only found 2 KPR112s in the 3rd RS I tried. Note that this is the same as the generic PR12 except that it is Krypton - thats what the K means, X is xenon, H is halogen, PR just means it is flanged. My point is that just about everyone makes a KPR12. The question is, can they all take this level of overdrive?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and no. Supposedly the Radio Shack KPR112 may or may not even last as long as one set of batteries. If a person was going to use the light a lot he should just order a whole bunch of the bulbs. The cost is relatively minor compared to the cost of the batteries.

If it is a light you need to depend on, you need a different bulb. You wouldn't want the bulb to blow at the wrong time.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
If you are going the KPR112 route, look at the GH24 bulb at Reflectalite.com. IMO, I think the GH24 blows away anything else for a Mag2C with 3x123's. I have read at other places on CPF that this bulb/battery combo put's out 400 bulb lumens.