Brunton Liberty Mantel-less Lantern

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I do a fair amount of camping and it is always nice as darkness falls to light up a lantern, and solve the world's problems while socializing around the glow of the lantern.

We quite often have campfires and I find that our group tends to break up into groups. One group will gather around the fire, another group will gather around the lantern and play games (chess, cards, etc.), and others will crawl into their tents, read, and go to sleep.

Car camping is great. I pack the Coleman lantern, bring along some dry wood, and we are set to go. I have a case for my lantern that does a pretty good job of protecting it. Still I manage to crumble a mantle or two. I have had very good luck with my globes. Haven't broken one yet…

Throw your gear in a backpack and everything changes. Now some of the luxuries go out the window as we concentrate on reducing bulk and weight. Everything gets bumped around so durability is a must. The rustic environment and its lack of even surfaces also places some demands on the equipment we take along.

The equipment industry responded to our wishes to have a lightweight portable lantern with a variety of choices. Most of them were based on their larger brothers. We still have to fiddle with mantles and a fragile globe.

The Brunton Liberty has raised the stakes in lantern development.

The Liberty has a very durable platinum mesh element and no fragile globe. It runs for 6 hours (on high) on a 8 ounce butane fuel canister that can also be used for fuel for your stove. It folds up and packs into a little case (3" x 2.3" x 4.3") with a total weight of 8.3 ounces. You can throw the case out to save a bit on size and weight as well. When it is folded up, the platinum element is very well protected.

The design has two side reflectors as well as a top reflector. These stainless reflectors fold and protect the platinum element during transit. I was cautioned by Brunton NOT to touch the dome. It is very durable, but can be dented. A dented element will still work, but looks a bit strange.

Screw the lantern into a gas canister, move the air regulator to the right, crack the valve, light the lantern, wait a few seconds for the platinum element to heat up, adjust the air regulator to the brightest glow and you are set. By the way, it has a piezo lighter built in so no matches are needed to light the lantern.

The lantern glows with an orange color similar to what you see from some street lamps. The total output (heat and light) is 80 watts. I measured 30 foot candles and called Brunton to suggest that they list the light output as well as the total output. They told me they have measured similar results. You can adjust the output down from there to a very dim glow with the valve, but it is a bit touchy. I ended up shutting it off a few times before getting the hang of it. Fortunately, the built in ignition system made re-lighting a breeze.

While the side reflectors are somewhat adjustable, I just open them up and use it like that. A word of caution, give ample time for everything to cool down before touching the lantern.

I have used this lantern in rain and snow and it works well. The major complaint is the glare from the element. Think of the difference between looking at a clear light bulb and a frosted one. I went to the hardware store and got a broken plastic diffuser panel (for $1) used for fluorescent lighting fixtures and cut three pieces. Put them together with duct tape hinges and now have diffusion screen for my lantern.

It also works well in the wind. You have to protect it for the few seconds while it warms up, but once it is glowing, the wind has little effect on it. I have not checked it in a full blown storm, but it seems to take mild wind in stride.

I am pleased with this lantern. I have been "adjusting" my pack to make room for it.

I also picked up the Brunton "CanStand" and the butane lighter refill attachment.

The CanStand is a 3 legged stand that snaps on the bottom of the 8 ounce fuel canister to give some added stability when setting up on uneven ground. I thought my smaller JetBoil stove canisters would snap in as well, but come to find out they don't. It still makes a good platform even with the smaller canisters.

The butane lighter refill attachment allows you to refill your lighter from the same fuel canister you are using with you stove and lantern. I no longer have to purchase expensive small refill canisters for my crème brulee kitchen torch and other butane lighters I have.

Tom