HDS EDC Basic - Worth the price?

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Is the HDS EDC basic worth the $120-$160? I like the idea of the basic with only 4 light setting and not all of the fancy settings that came with the Arc4. The fit and finish looks excellent, but I guess what I am worried about is the switch mechanism. Is it prone to the problems that came with the Arc4? That's why I waited to buy an Arc4, waiting for the switch to be fixed without having to buy a shim or use a washer to fix a light that should not have any problems at all. But then, they went out of business and I never did buy the Arc. I am a little gun shy about the HDS since it is similar to the Arc4. What can anyone tell me about the EDC?

Thanks!!!

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering that the Arc LS-ST cost the same when it was still available, the HDS EDC seems like a bargain.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I read the HDS thread from beginning to end.
That was a big job but worth it. The light looks very nice on paper and the switch is now in the tailcap so it will be interesting to see if this is more reliable than the Arc 4+
that was designed by HDS in the first place. I like many will be looking forward to the user reviews once they start coming in. The cheap reflector used in the very expensive Lion Heart was raised within the first week of shipping so we will not have to wait long for feedback from HDS owners.
Little things like anodizing the threads to stop galling are high quality touches.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only time will tell but it sounds like HDS has completely redesigned the switch to eliminate the Arc 4's failings.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
there shipping now. Led musium has a review up, just a overview, but craig spoke highly about it, esp, the switch, build, and beam/brightness quality. look's like a winner!
I can't wait to get my basic 60. VDG

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
adimag said:
Is the HDS EDC basic worth the $120-$160? I like the idea of the basic with only 4 light setting and not all of the fancy settings that came with the Arc4. The fit and finish looks excellent, but I guess what I am worried about is the switch mechanism. Is it prone to the problems that came with the Arc4? That's why I waited to buy an Arc4, waiting for the switch to be fixed without having to buy a shim or use a washer to fix a light that should not have any problems at all. But then, they went out of business and I never did buy the Arc. I am a little gun shy about the HDS since it is similar to the Arc4. What can anyone tell me about the EDC?

Thanks!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah, it puts out 2X the light and still has decent runtime on top (more efficient)!

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened
The swith has been totaly redesigned, i dont think you need worry. Henry is all about quality and reliabilty. He knows all about the switch issues with the Arc4 and has made sure that it is far more robust.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Will there be available a shortened "twistie" tailcap like the ones for the ARC LS - always love makin small lights even samller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I don't think there will ever be a twistie, or that a twistie would make sense. Even if you built one yourself, I don't think it would save you more than one or two millimeters.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm sure the switch will not be an issue after reading everything about this light and LED Museum's review. Looks like I need to order one of these lights!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
to me it depends on quilty .will it have a bright white beam. will it be dependable .etc etc. there is nothing i hate worst then a greenish tint so that means a lot to me. but it seems like hds is striveing to do well and good job and we will sooon see as people recvie there light

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened
raggie, I think you will find that HDS sets the standard for EDC flashlights. They have sourced great leds, and have tint control to improve the quality of the tint on lower settings.