SilverLegacy Mini_HID - 123R's?

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
SilverLegacy Mini_HID - 123R\'s?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with JSB's 3V(peak 3.5V) 123R's (or anyone else's) in a SilverLegacy MiniMagHID (4x123)?

Chris

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SilverLegacy Mini_HID - 123R\'s?

I'd advice you not to use 4x rechargable 123s in the MiniHID as the total fully charged voltage would be way above the instant flash voltage on the WA ballast/bulb. If you really want a rechargable solution, you'll need to take a look at this post by Burnt Retinas, who is offering a regulated holder for the MiniHID.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

M-goi-si gregw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That seems to fit the bill perfectly.

btw - is your MiniHID-TURBO (in your signature) the same as a SilverLegacy MiniMagHID? Just interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again,

Chris

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

Yes it is a SilverLegacy MiniHID from the latest Ufokillerz Group Buy. I just simply put in a FiveMega 3" Head with camless reflector for it to make it a Turbo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hidturbo1.jpg
hidturbo2.jpg

I was lucky enough to meet Burnt Retinas when I was on vacation in Melbourne Australia during Christmas/New Year and managed to persuade him to build one of his regulated holders for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've found that the MiniHID doesn't perform to it's maximum capabilities on 4xCR123 since the voltage drop is significant when drawing 1A from them. With the regulated holder holding voltage at 11.4V (maximum safe continuous voltage for the WA ballast/bulb), it measured 52,100 lux at 1 metre. The same configuration with 4xCR123 (used 4-5 minutes from new) was only 35,000 lux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I haven't done a runtime tests with the regulated holder with my unprotected Li-ion cells yet, but should do so in the next few weeks and post my findings in the MiniHID group buy thread.

For more info/review on the regulated holder, see my posts here and here.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a beautiful light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Greg, that's some light!

Thanks too for the info - will be following Burnt Retina's thread (the one you ref'd me to), plus going now to have a look at your own threads as recommended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Chris