What's your GO TO lights?

cy

Flashaholic
What\'s your GO TO lights?

What's your GO TO lights?

OK, this is what got me thinking. Had a particular nasty machanical job on a late model car.

you know one of those jobs that takes 1 hour on an older car. But on a late model it's squeezed so tight you got to remove the front half of the car to get to it.

Anyways.. didn't want to use my EDC U2, might scratch it. looked around at my collection of lights. hummm

picked out my old beatup faithfuls. LSH-P, firefly1 and of course ARC AAA.

Hmmm.. if I was going on an extended backbacking trip, where weight/size and reliability is at a premium. I'd probably take the same lights.

If I was going to the moon. I'd probably take the same lights.

What lights would you take? what's your go to lights?

go to light.JPG

X33

Enlightened
Re: What\'s your GO TO lights?

Recently the LionHeart has become my unbeaten favourite. But for the extended trip scenario without possibilty to recharge, I would probably take an ARC AA for AA cells. ARC4 with its different brightness levels and an Inova X5 to suck all the ARC4 leftover cells dry. Not to forget the ARC LSHP with the 2AA tailpack scenario!
Maybe the Tri Star Phazer, but is that really a backpacking light?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always have mine on me.
G2 in front pocket, Mini-M@g on my belt beside my multiplier and now a Gerber ultra around my neck. My 3D M@g is mounted to the console of my Avalanche.
( I still cant find the M@g mods on here)

X33

Enlightened

Yeah, I forgot that one: Mini M@g with Opalec LED conversion would be good for loong runtimes for close up work.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

At the moment probably my SL JR LUX. Put's out more than adequate light out to 25 - 30yds. It is cheaper to run than all get out using NiMH's. I have yet to see a light out there with a flatter regulation according to BrightNorms Reviews. If you lose it you are only out 25 - $30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's nice to see the FF1s are still in use... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I guess my GO TO lights are the ones I EDC - FF2, McLux (black HA3) and my SF L4.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Cy,

Interesting question.

I am afraid my ARC lights have been replaced...

Key chain has a Peak 3 Snow LED High Power AAA, a Peak 5 Snow LED High Power AA in the pocket, a LionHeart in the holster and an 8NX as back up.

If I don't have my holster on, the U2 clips in my pants pocket.

I have two complaints with the LionHeart. The first is that the button is impossible to activate with gloves on, the second is that the knurling and ridges are difficult to clean grease and dirt from.

Fortunately, it handles the solvent tank and soap and water well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

gorlank

Enlightened

my beater Mini Mag with Inretech module gets all the dicey jobs so it's got some chips around the head and lots of nicks/scratches.

cy

Flashaholic

When size and reliability has to be unquestioned. These are still my choices.

these three lights are the same exact same lights that are responsible for me really getting into lights.

Installing a two stage switch on LSH-P twisty has been on the to do list for awhile. For reliabilty twistys win hands down over krolls.

Note FF1 is upgraded to aluminum head, with tuned NX-05 optics and tuned two stage switch. With aluminum head I'm running MM lite R2H. on an extended trip primary lithium would be used instead of li-ion.

paulr

Flashaholic

Around the house, McLux/McFlood. I like the smooth flood beam and I don't understand why so many CPF'ers are obsessed with the brightest possible hotspot and maximal throw when so many uses of flashlights are close-up.

EDC for me is usually just a 5mm led, Arc AAA or Photon II or equivalent.

For working on a car or going on a trip, Princeton Tec Aurora. It works fine as a handheld 3LED light as well as a handsfree light. And it's lightweight and cheap.

When I need something brighter, I'm usually in the car, and I have a PT Surge in the glove compartment. At home, I use my cheap plastic 2C light converted with 3x123 and a KPR118. I also have a Streamlight TL3 but should sell it.

MonkeyDog

Newly Enlightened

I think my most versatile and adaptable light is my Streamlight Tasklight 2L 3W LUXEON. it is proving to be the one I grab on the fly, jam into my pocket on the run, or reach for on short notice. Lots of light for its size and weight (Luxeon 3). down at the Gulf Coast recently, I hade a chance to try it out in (almost) total darkness while walking down a gravel-topped 'road' late at night and was quite pleased with its performance.

Although this light has only been out for a short time, it is the one I would choose if I had to select just one.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ultra-G, although now that they're gone I'm kinda more careful with mine. Like it's gonna break or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire L4, ARC LS, Inova X5T-HA.

Three levels of output and runtime. Common cell type. All light-weight and "pocketable". All build like tanks.

CQB

Enlightened

my Go To light? Hmmm. Interesting question.

Even though I EDC an Aleph III + E2o, I usually grab my L7 for general home use. I think it's the guilt free lumens - there's always the spare battery charging on the dock. I *do* wish my L7 was a tad bit shorter though. Maybe if the battery pack was shorter like the SL Strion's... who knows? Maybe SF has some new rechargable products in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif One can only hope...

So to answer your question, I usually "go for" either my L7 or my Q III... yeah, these are my "general purpose" lights. But for going out, etc... I EDC my Aleph III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lights I go to when I actually need them away from home are my Pila GL3R, SL-20X w/35X LA, SF L4 and FF II. Oh, and my Arc AAA Turq on my keychain. The SF, FF and Pila are all running on li-ions, and are always fully charged and ready to go. Those 3 can also run on 123s as backup if necessary, which I carry in my car glovebox and/or coat pocket. The SL/35 is my best pure vision larger light, beating out the brighter, farther throwing Mag beams of my incan mods and Pelican Big D. When I need to see, these are the ones that get the call.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indoors, large Mag, nowadays either the Mag85 or the Mag3X.

For every other concievable mission, there is the U2. The E1e+KL1 is the backup, and it has served very well.