Newbie here needs some advice

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read and searched these forums and am quite simply over whelmed with information. I'm looking for a small, 1xAA or AAA led light with a clip that throws a nice flood pattern. It doesn't need to be too bright, just enough to read with, and has a long run time. Small enough to go in the pocket or clip to a hat brim. Looking for suggestions on makes and models. Thanks. Durability and water risistance is a must.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

ARC AAA
CMG Infinity Ultra
CMG Infinity

The ARC AAA and the Ultra have about the same brightness. The Infinity has longer runtime and is dimmer, but still useful. The Infinity and the Infinity Ultra use AAs.

ARC has gone out of business and their lights command a premium price. If you want a ARC AAA, be prepared to pay $50 to $100.

Gerber bought out CMG and the newest version of the Ultra is different, but you might include it in this list (I didn't). If you want a Ultra or an Infinity, don't wait. The supply is limited to stock on hand, but the prices are reasonable.

davidra

Enlightened
You could do a search for Xnova, and also consider Peak, especially the 1-led as it's more spill than the 3-led head. The AA peaks would also be nice.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure what others have experienced, but I have not been happy with the durability of my CMG Sonic. Great size, and nice beam pattern/brightness (for what it is), but after maybe 2 months the twisty tailcap switch began malfunctioning. Even after asking and getting advice to clean with some alcohol, it is still having problems. If nobody else is having problems, then I will chalk mine up to a dud and probably would buy another. It does have a nice review.

For now, I am replacing it with a Peak that uses the "N" size battery to retain the very small size. Since AAA are much easier to find, I would suggest taking a close look at the AAA size Peak. It is the only one (besides N) that is still offered in a single LED. The multiple LED lights don't have anywhere near as much spill (flood).

Another flashlight with a built in hat clip is the UK 2AAA eLED flashlight. A review is available for more information. It is dive rated to well exced your waterproof requirement, and is also from a company known for durable products. It gets a very nice review

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A very nice "starter" light would be the Dorcy AAA. Nice brightness, good flood, and you can buy it anytime at WalMart for $5.96. The other lights mentioned are very good or better, but for a bit more money. To use an oft repeated phrase here at CandlePower, if you're not sure, "buy both".

Geoff

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Dorcy is a good light for the money, but it doesn't have a pocket clip.

I like to be able to clip my ligts on a ball cap for a temporary headlamp. I like the ARC4 and the Surefire E1e/KL1 or the TW4 (E1e/KL4) for this, but they use 123s and are much more expensive lights.

The light Roy linked to might be just what you want. I don't have one, so I can't say from first hand experience.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips. I decided to go with a Infinity Ultra in silver. It has 100hrs run time so I assume it's not too bright, which is what I want. It also looks small enough to go in the pocket or clip on a hat. Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I carry a UK2AAA eled and it comes with a nice clip that works great on a ball cap and has about 20 hours of useful runtime. I tend to shrug my head at most of the outrageous runtime claims put out by LED flashlight manufacturers because most consider ANY light when quoting that figure.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Brasso said:
I decided to go with a Infinity Ultra in silver. It has 100hrs run time so I assume it's not too bright, which is what I want. It also looks small enough to go in the pocket or clip on a hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hold your breath, run time is closer to *ten* hours, even the older Infinity can't come close to 100.

Otherwise, I think you'll be happy with it.

Doug Owen