Really Can't Decide on EDC

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Really Can\'t Decide on EDC

With all troubles in the world, you wouldn't think which lights to EDC would be on my mind. Oh well, priorities I guess.

My ARC-AAA LE will always be with me in my pocket (attached to my Spyerco LadyBug), so that's a no-brainer. I only want to carry one other light with me. It is so tough to decide on the ARC-LS (forget about which version) or the KL-1 on either an E2E or an E1. Hands down, the LS with the 123 cell wins for size, however size doesn't always matter (get your head out of the gutter).

I've been belt-carrying my LS with that prototype carrier I got on E-Bay. Very nice by the way. So, if I decided to go with the KL-1 E2E or KL-1 E1 combo, I'd more than likely belt carry that also.

Decisions, decisions.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Really Can\'t Decide on EDC

I have settled into:

- Turq, blue and purple Photons IIs on my keyrings
- Turq ARC AAA with a purple Photon III ringed to the tail of it
- Old Style X5, titanium finish, white LEDS
- Surefire E2-HA

I like the heck out of my 6P-KL3, but it is just too big to EDC. I am VERY eager to get my hands on a KL1!!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

My EDC is my white Arc SLS in 1AA mode. I only carry one light at all times. In a long term power outage, I would likely exchange that for a CMG Infinity (regular). Of course, in this situation, I would be using my PT Solo w/Matrix Module.

I am disabled and spend most of my time at home. So, this affects my choices.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I always carry the Arc AAA white on keychain. Also, I nearly always have my Legend LX with me, definitely at night. But recently I've been carrying my Legend 2AA with Ill Pill as well. Its just amazingly bright and with rechargeables, I feel no hesitation about using it as much as I want. With the LX, I always think about expensive batteries and short bulb life. Unfortunately, the Ill Pill just isn't bright enough, nor does it have enough throw to take over my tactical light carry position.

This brings up something I was thinking about today. Like I said earlier, every time I use a high powered incandescent, I try to limit my time due to short bulb life (like all high powered incandescents). The same thing applies to expensive batteries. So...

Why isn't there a good rechargeable LED/Luxeon light on the market? Well, I understand that the market is slow, but why haven't you modders used a Stinger or Magcharger or something yet? Or have you???

Mark

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

I have struggled with the EDC issue as well. I found that most days I carry the ARC "AAA" in one pocket,E2e HA clipped in other pocket, Photon II yellow on zipper pull of jacket, Photon II white on ring with mini Gerber LST and Leatherman Micra in the jacket pocket.

The small pack I carry most days has my M3 and spare batteries/bulbs. I also just added the UK 2 "AAA" light with the red head and Petzel Zipkka headlamp to the pack. A Mag 3 D cell light stays in the Jeep.

rlhess

Enlightened

I EDC on my keychain an Arc sLS with 1 lithium and an Arc AAA LE.

In my other pocket, under my wallet, is an E2e.

If I were only going to carry two, I'd lose the AAA LE, but it's so small, why not?

I use the Arc sLS for general inspection work. The E2e is useful when surveying buildings (which I sometimes do for work--last time limited power in an unfinished building in Mexico City).

Hopefully, I'll be getting one of the G2 CPF editions for my donation to the bandwidth fund (if I was soon enough). I think I'll get the HOLA for that and keep it handy. One can never have too much light <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carried a red Photon II for EDC for about a year, switched to the ARC AAA turquoise for about 2 months and have finally settled on a white Photon III.

I think that's the one I'll stick with.

The Photon III rides on the keychain virtually un-noticed but is there when you need it.

Now that Daylight Savings Time is over, I have to cross a dark, busy street every night after work...at a point with no cross walk. I use the "fast blink" mode just so the drivers will notice I'm there.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

ikendu...I tried to email you and it came back "undeliverable" or words to that effect...is your email address correct in your profile?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

First off, I always carry my white Photon II because it is on my key chain. However, for my pocket, I had carried an Arc LE and a UKE 2AAA (side by side batteries) for longer throw. However, just Saturday I recieved my Hybrid Second, and now, it has replaced my Arc LE and UKE in the pocket. Super light! If I need less light (for whatever reason), I still have the Photon II to fall back on. I may have to sell off some lights now.
grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whereas it is true that the Arc AAA is of better quality, I don't carry it on my keychain, because I don't want it to get scratched up by keys. Plus, the Photon II is so small and practically weightless, I don't notice it at all. And it doesn't matter if it gets a little scratched, . . . .of course, being plastic, it doesn't scratch as easy.

.02 cents

franken2

Newly Enlightened

my arc aaa is getting some nice "character marks" riding in right pants pocket with leatherman micra and 5 keys. a silver mini-mag with inretach white adapter rides on a nite-ize swivel lock on my belt. i doubt my arc ls1nat (arriving tomorrow) will ride next to any keys.

lucifer

Newly Enlightened

Why decide on EDC? Have many and rotate them! Just the same as with everything else you collect (knives, fountain pens, whatever...).

SFR

Newly Enlightened

Like Richard, I carry an Arc LE and an Arc LS123 on my keychain (along with a Leatherman Micra). I also carry a Surefire E2e separately in my backpack. For me, this is the combination that fulfills my lighting needs (low, medium, high) in terms of size, light output, and battery availability.

I choose not to carry a Photon or any other coin-cell light because my low-light lighting needs are fulfilled with the overall superior performance and quality of the LE and I don't like buying coin-cell batteries.

pec50

Enlightened

I think the ARC AAA is almost a given for many of us, but I also carry the SL 4AA LED as a work light. As an EDC, I like to be able to unabashedly use a light without concern for how much battery time is remaining, the cost of the batteries, or will it be painfully expensive to replace if damaged or lost while it is performing its task.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always carry: 1) Arc AAA Turq on my key ring, 2) Arc LS123 (...in my pocket; NEVER on my key ring!), 3) SFE2GM. These 3 lights cover ALL of my needs. Sometimes I'll carry a UKE Mini Pocket or one of my PT Blasts...just to justify "having" them, but not very often. I only have so much room in my pockets, and leaving home without any of my top 3 above would be UNTHINKABLE!!!

PJD

ChrisA

Enlightened

arc le is always in my left pocket, with a spare AAA-cell (inside a sealed aluminium-tube) and a green glowring attached. as soon as my sls' arrive i will retire my 'old' arc ls rev. 1 and carry one of those hopefully brighter arcs with the two AA-cell-holder. this is my edc (alongside some other nice gadgets ;-) ). when i'm hiking or while having outdoor-training stuff i will add a red cmg (with lithium cell) and a surefire e2e.

i used to hate wintertime, but now i really like the fact that the sun sets earlier and the nights are longer ;-)

chris

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDC, E1e+KL1 E2eCJ and photon 2white on my keys last but not least a EKI commander.