Newbie with question

valleyz

Newly Enlightened
Hello this is a very imformative board.I purchased a SF E1e last week for the purpose of hunting.I am thinking about adding the SF KL-1 LED bulb.I also have a Brinkman Rebel LED.Could someone compare the brightness of the two lights.I have been using the SF to navigate out of the woods at dark,and it does a great job,but I'm a bit concerned about the bulb life because I do not want to take a back-up light.

Any suggestions on a better hunting set-up would appreciated.

rycen

Enlightened
The Kl1 should be just as bright if not brighter than the incan bulb just more difused,also the Rebel is no competition for the KL1

Darell

Flashaholic
Fist off, I'd absolutely reconsider the back-up light business. Get yourself an Arc AAA to keep in your pocket at all times. If you drop or misplace you main light, or if it fails - you may find yourself in a bad situation. With the Arc, you could make your way out of trouble quite easily. For the main light, you wouldn't go wrong with the KL1 on the front of your E1. I think you'll find that for navigating through the woods, an LS-based light will be superior to the very narrow beam of the E1. If you need to spot something at a distance, the incand head will be superior, however.

As rycen said - you really can't compare the Rebel and the KL1.

What would be really slick is the Aviator due out later this year. Self-contained back-up light. You still have a problem if you lose it, but if you break the incand bulb, you still have three LEDs to see you out.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
What's battery life on the KL1? Those 123 lights tend to eat batteries and die quickly. (Bright, though!!) I'd carry a backup light:

Look for info on the ARC AAA, it's small (smaller than a maglite soliaire), and bright enough to walk by if your eyes are adjusted , nearly indestructible, runs about 5 hours on a AAA. I carry one all the time. Most people here do, too. We're flashlight nuts.

So, to put it another way, if you can't carry a backup flashlight that's smaller than one round of .308, you shouldn't be in the woods at night...
smile.gif
(kidding, mostly!)

Darell

Flashaholic
On an E2, you get about four hours of fully regulated output. On the E1, you get about 1.5 hours, so the bang-for-the-battery-buck edge goes to the E2. Brighter that way too. The KL1 was designed with a sweet spot at 6V.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by valleyz:
Any suggestions on a better hunting set-up would appreciated.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A weapon. Take a weapon when you go hunting! You'll have a hell of a time clubbing anything into submission with and Arc AAA.

... sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up. Its like dangling candy in front of a baby. Especially MY baby. DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way advocating the use of weapons of any type. Nor do I advocate using any type of flashlight to club defenseless animals. While I'm on a roll, it probably also isn't a very good idea to give candy to babies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sorry but Darell started it.... When I go big game hunting (field mice) I am a strong believer in backup not only for my lights but for the weapons as well and a club is a good backup:

TIDs.jpg

tongue.gif

As a flashaholic, I prefer a light mounted weapon to a weapon mounted light
rolleyes.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha! The McGizmo AAA cookie cutter light rears its head.

Yes, now during those annoying blackouts you can while away the hours making cookies with this illuminated cookie cutter. Also good for making mashed potatoes..

grin.gif
grin.gif

Graham

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Classic, Classic, Hats off and applause to the both of you!! LOL!!

(Actually jealous, I saw that "purchased a SF E1e last week for the purpose of hunting" statement, thought about it and let slip right through my fingers & GREAT visuals!...that's why I am so humbled by my "Senior Flashaholics" and also why I'm losing hair due to the friction caused by letting those going right over my head!)

That's what the CPF needs...a "CPF Lighter Moments" topic! I've only been around a couple months and have really enjoyed some of the light heartedness that exists here. Think about the laughs that you've had around here! This forum provides so much! Thanks!

And by the way, even if you get an A2...I'd still have that essential ARC AAA in my pocket!

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Originally posted by darell:
Nor do I advocate using any type of flashlight to club defenseless animals. [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So is it OK to use a club?
How about hungry attacking animals?

But back on topic, you should have at least 1 backup light. Just like if you have a GPS you should still carry a compass.

How come Graham and Bart are now Graham. and Bart.? What happened to Holo-Grahm?
Bart. who is Zeke? An animal? A flashlight? A club?

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to change back to quiet, unassuming Graham(no .) I only borrowed HoloGraham from Don, anyway - he thought of it.
Anyway, upon attempting to change back, I found that CPF wouldn't let me have Graham back. Denied!

So I just stuck a . on the end, and there it is..

Graham(.)

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Wits' End,
as Graham said.
winkie.GIF

I tried to get just Bart, but it wouldn't let me...
frown.gif

Zeke is Darell's dog, and he (Darell) strapped an Arc to his collar to make him more visible in the dark, but Zeke was so energetic that the light kept hitting him on the nose...
grin.gif

Zeke's Page