www.readysetglo.com glow powder

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[url]www.readysetglo.com[/url] glow powder

Hi Folks,

I placed an order last week for a couple of different flavors of glow powder from: http://www.readysetglo.com/ and it arrived today! Shipped from Canada, so they must have shipped the next morning after receiving my order. I am very happy with that service.

It arrived as a couple of tiny ziplocks stapled (carefully through the top and not through the bag;) to a piece of paper with the instructions on it.

I haven't even opened the bags yet, but I did hold them under my black light for a few minutes and then go play in the dark. All I can say is WOW. Even in powder form the aqua glows like crazy, and I know that when properly applied it is significantly brighter.

After playing with the bag for a bit I did notice that my hands were starting to glow... So they will leak a bit.

I'm off to get some clear nail polish tomorrow and start experimenting with it. I was going to repaint some of the not very bright glow in the dark stars on my daughters ceiling with the stuff, but I think it might be TOO bright;)

I'm very happy with readysetglow.com. Anyone thinking about getting some of this to experiment with won't be disappointed! And they sell it in small enough quantities that you won't have to wait for a group buy.

Just be careful when opening the padded envelope that you don't cut into the baggies.

Thanks,
James

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: [url]www.readysetglo.com[/url] glow powder

After playing with the bag for a bit I did notice that my hands were starting to glow... So they will leak a bit.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well...perhaps the people at Ready Set Glow are re-packaging powder from HUGE orders (The kind you and I probably can't afford) into small baggies. If this is the case than it's also likely that some powder made it's way onto the outside of the bag in the process.

Good luck with the powder! I need to finish painting some stuff, I started it but can never remember to finish it when I have the time to...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

James;
You might also try mixing up a batch of that with clear oil-based urethane, instead of the lacquer base. Doing a great job takes a little longer with it, but does not require so much constant stirring, goes on smoother, and you don't have to work so fast-less aggravation.
frown.gif

Also, the mixed ureth. paint does not degrade in liquid solution (like the lacquer does after a few days).

Also, your properly finished glow surface would glow
astonishingly bright for 20min. or so, if you were to charge it up with one of those potent Royal Blue Luxeons.
shocked.gif

I know you have some photo
capability, so I hope you can show us some pictures of your finished work.
icon14.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the urethane info. I since I already have a trip to the hardware store planned for today I'll pick up that instead of the nail polish and give it a try.

Saaby: I'll bet thats exactly what they are doing. But thats OK by me as I don't have any need for a ton of the stuff (yet anyway;) and their prices for the smaller amounts are just fine.

What are you painting with it? I plan on putting some on my flashlights to make them easier to find in the dark, and perhaps re-do some of the stars on the ceiling, but no other huge plans yet.

Thanks,
James

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Posted by vcal: "ureth. paint does not degrade in liquid solution (like the lacquer does after a few days)."

Hi, vcal. How does the paint degrade in lacquer? Does it lose its luster/brightness?

By the way, does anyone have experience with glow powder from Risk Reactor? Is their powder any different (better/worse, etc.) from those from ReadySetGlo? The Risk Reactor web site offers more colors.

More questions. Is there a "best" light source for getting the brightest and longest glow? Vcal indicates royal blue luxeons. Does anyone have experience with other light sources?

Thanks for any responses.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Hey flashfan, I have the Aqua Poweder from Ready Set GLo and can vouch for it's er.. how shall I say, "staying power"
grin.gif
I'v found the best source for charging them short of daylight is UV. You can pick up 12" and 18" fluorescent blacklight tubes at target for cheap. Homey Deopot, at least the ones near me, are a bit on the pricey side for their tubes. Wal-Mart even has several 18" fixtures under 20 bucks. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Risk Reactor powders.

Ed

patg

Newly Enlightened

Months ago in another CPF thread I read about this company's glow powder that sounds like it uses the same type of chemicals. Anybody know how ExtremeGlow powders compare?

Pat

LoneRebel

Enlightened

flashfan, I have no experience with this glow powder, but just like you I'm interested in getting some. From what I have read there are two different types of glow powder the older zinc sulfide which the glow in the dark stars are made out of. The cool stuff apparently is the Strontium Aluminate which is 10x brighter and glows for up to 14 hours. So far the best price i've seen was $15 for 2.6 oz/75 grams at www.theglowshow.com. On ebay I'm seeing some people selling a pound of this stuff for around $50 + 10 shipping..

Anyways, I'm sure I'm going to break down and buy some one of these days.

LoneRebel

Enlightened

We finally have a mcd rating on glow powder
smile.gif

The luminosity of ProGlow powders is dependant on the model and particle size used it can also reach as high as 2780 mcd/m2 immediately after the removal of light source. The attenuation of luminosity is slower than other photoluminescence materials. The luminosity of ProGlow20 can maintain for 20 hours at 46mcd/ m2.

excerpt from http://www.proglow.com/glow-powder.php

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by flashfan:
Posted by vcal: "ureth. paint does not degrade in liquid solution (like the lacquer does after a few days)."

Hi, vcal. How does the paint degrade in lacquer? Does it lose its luster/brightness?

By the way, does anyone have experience with glow powder from Risk Reactor? Is their powder any different (better/worse, etc.) from those from ReadySetGlo? The Risk Reactor web site offers more colors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi flash;
The lacquer "base" can darken after 3 or 4 days -when you have mixed more paint than you need for that one job. This causes the luminous intensity to be as much as 30% less.
frown.gif
The problem is the base itself, rather than the pigment that's mixed in with it. That's why I have (after allowing the pigment to settle to the bottom) to just pour out the discolored base and replace it with FRESH (cheap) base. This cuts the luminous loss to about 15-20%, so you don't have to throw out the still-good pigment. But as said before, -especially when using lacquer base, it's best to try to mix only enough to do the job at hand.

BTW-the finished, dried paint never loses it's luminous efficiency once it's on and dried! It will be very effective for many years..

The Risk Reactor (related to Shannon Luminous Industrial) was excellent grade "8" the one time that I could get it.

I noticed that readysetglo specifies on their website that their pigment is "45/65" grit. This will correspond to the Grade 8, the very best grade possible. THIS is what to look for when buying glow pigment.
tongue.gif
I'm looking forward to using some of theirs and comparing it to my best Standard Patch samples.

After ordering quality like that, your only concern will be skillful application..
icon14.gif

-Hope that's helpful.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have begun playing with it a little bit. I mixed some aqua with some urethane varnish. I guess I expected that it would dissolve, or suspend better than it does. It's like trying to mix very fine sand into the pain. It is not smooth. It will definitely require several coats to get a decent glow. 4 or more gives a very good result! But, what you end up with will be like fine sandpaper. It will also require a final coat of something to seal it or it will come off on your hands when you rub it.

I haven't had a chance to try embedding it in some polyester resin yet, but I plan to make some glow cubes from that and see what happens;) I suspect that to get a good glow it will take much more powder than I expected. I have enough of the aqua left to do at least one ice cubed sized piece and probably 2 of the orange. I'll post pictures when I've had a chance to try that out.

Fun stuff!
James

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

James;
That mix ratio should be around 30%, and yes, thorough mixing is critical.
And the finished, dried surface should feel slightly gritty.

To properly preserve your finish, you should put on a final thin coat of the same clear base that you used to mix the paint with. Good luck.