New Arc LS owner - pics and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an Arc LS first run recently and have some questions about this unit. I think it may have been modded but I'm not sure so I've got some closeups of the internals below. There is a dip switch that lowers the light output but only slightly as I perceive it. Inside + battery contact doesn't look like any internal pics I've seen of other Arc LS's. It's also a 3 tone configuration with the bezel being anodized, the body looks bare aluminum and the twist tail cap seems like polished aluminum. Any help and info on this one would be appreciated. Pics:

arclsa.jpg

arclsb.jpg

arclse.jpg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. I read that thread but the pictures were missing - probably since it is fairly old. Emailed moses too if he's still around. Another newbie question. I've been to the Luxeon web site and actually bought one of their first stars a couple years ago but I still can't tell a high dome from a low dome. Can you tell what this has? Another pic:

arclsf.jpg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to ask another dumbie newbie: I know UCL is something to do with the lens but what does UCL stand for? Only thing I can think of is Ultra Clear Lexan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
welcome to CPF, matrixshaman, why dontcha stay awhile!

From the flashlightlens.com site:

UCL™ (Ultra Clear Lens™): Having become our flagship lens, the UCL™ transmits 98% of your flashlight's visible light energy. A full 11% more than most stock polycarbonate lenses. This results in a brighter beam with the truest colors. This glass also has an Anti-Reflective coating on it. Anti-Reflective coatings allow more light to pass through the glass, which is the main reason behind its incredible light transmittance. This is by far one of the most advanced lenses available. This lens is recommended for those looking for the ultimate in optical performance.

welcome again!
daloosh

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
daloosh, thanks - they look like good replacements but it looks like none of the ones there fit the Arc LS 2 piece head like I've got. The one I have now actually looks very clean and I'd only want a replacement to have as a back up at this point.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks pyro - I thought it might be - seems very white and bright - no greenish tint like I've read some of the older low domes had. I think I got a good deal on this LS and am glad to finally have one. I've carried the Arc AAA in my key pocket for a couple years but was never too happy with the light output. This LS is a world of difference in light and even fits in that little pocket.

jtice

Flashaholic
yep, thats a high dome,

Low domes have a shorter, flat dome, and the yellow die in the middle looks alot larger.

highdomes have a tighter beam, and when used with a good optic or reflector throw alot better,

lowdomes are better when a flood beam is needed.

Your light is 3 tone becuase is was made from a "grey kit"
that was an empty Arc LS that Arc sold long time ago, that people couple instal their own parts into.
The pack was probably bought later on, and has been polished alittle. Some Flitz polish will get the body to look abotu the some.
Or, you can use some LYE to strip the bezel also, so the entire light is bare aluminum and all polished.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
moephiues - yes that is the one I bought but I did NOT know it was modified. It says nothing about being modified and at that time I didn't know enough about the Arc LS to know that one with a hi/low power switch was modified. I only found that out here yesterday. While I've had an Arc AAA for years I didn't have any interest or knowledge of their other lights until very recently. I do vaguely remember seeing some of the Arc LS series when I bought the AAA but thought the prices were insane back then. I didn't really know what they were all about then.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice, thanks for all the info - still learning a lot and fast about the little Arc LS's. I've only noticed one little problem with the one I have that came up today - which brings up one more question. When I twist it on sometimes it only comes up about 20-30% brightness. If I work with it a minute or so it eventually goes full brightness but I haven't been able to pin down where the intermitency is. Once on full it seems to stay that way fine. I completely pulled everything apart including the circuit board with the Luxeon and reseated everything (nothing was held in by force fit or screws). My guess at this point is the point where the bottom of the circuit board makes contact with the lip of the body (for ground or negative I assume) may be less than solid. If that's the case I may be able to come up with a fix. What do you think? BTW very nice web site you've got.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matrixshaman said:
My guess at this point is the point where the bottom of the circuit board makes contact with the lip of the body (for ground or negative I assume) may be less than solid. If that's the case I may be able to come up with a fix. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my guess also.

Peter

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litfuse - Thanks, I don't have any of the Nygel or similar yet so I'm guessing I need to get some and toothpick a little around the edge. Other than that one problem it's an awesome little light.

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
matrixshaman said:
moephiues - yes that is the one I bought but I did NOT know it was modified. It says nothing about being modified and at that time I didn't know enough about the Arc LS to know that one with a hi/low power switch was modified. I only found that out here yesterday. While I've had an Arc AAA for years I didn't have any interest or knowledge of their other lights until very recently. I do vaguely remember seeing some of the Arc LS series when I bought the AAA but thought the prices were insane back then. I didn't really know what they were all about then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good deal you got there tho!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note on how the problem with intermittent light output was solved. It would come on most of the time at about 20-30% brightness. I assumed as I mentioned above and as Litfuse confirmed that it was a weak contact where the circuit board (which is mounted on a metal washer) contacts the lip of the body for a ground. For now I was able to fix it by stuffing a bare copper wire around the outside of the washer to make it a tighter force fit. Works fine now but I'll probably remove and try the Nyogel when I get some.

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
matrixshaman said:
Litfuse - Thanks, I don't have any of the Nygel or similar yet so I'm guessing I need to get some and toothpick a little around the edge. Other than that one problem it's an awesome little light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefireparts on ebay as the nyogel that you need. He is a great guy to deal with. His username is jcciv on CPF i beleive...

code09

Enlightened
no problem, if you buy it off him direct, He'll give you a better quote.
But anyways, sorry for going off topic...

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pulling the pics here as I think this thread is basically done. I'm trying to keep bandwidth use from my web site minimized at this point so these are gone - if anyone needs to seem them for any reason let me know and I can send them to you. Thanks for all the help on this unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.