Don't use this laser to annoy people

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Don\'t use this laser to annoy people

I'd like to see the power unit that this bad boy uses. I'd also like to know how the device is cooled [to reduce heat on continual firings and to lower electrical resistance]. I've tried exploring the TRW web site [the prime contractor] but the page containing "Electronics and Power Supply" has been removed.

Dan

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here it is
story.missile.jpg

Definitely not pocket sized!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the US Government has designed it to "annoy" someone

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

Remember that they also buy Batteries like we do- by the trainload, with appropriate discounts (IE: 80% off)

If it's the prototype it looks to be, we REALLY don't want to know the price-tag.

There's been rumors of Bradley-mounted Chemical lasers, and theater-defense chem lasers mounted on converted Boeing 7X7's. But, yes, I want one of those lasers too. (4th of July, **** off the neighbors who launch illegal fireworks....)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

You won't be annoying anyone with those lasers.... you will be igniting gazillion tons of wrath...

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

Mount that puppy on a high altitude recce aircraft large enough to carry the power supply and play some laser pointer games on Saddams royal palaces.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by PsycoBob[Q2]:
Remember that they also buy Batteries like we do- by the trainload, with appropriate discounts (IE: 80% off)

If it's the prototype it looks to be, we REALLY don't want to know the price-tag.

There's been rumors of Bradley-mounted Chemical lasers, and theater-defense chem lasers mounted on converted Boeing 7X7's. But, yes, I want one of those lasers too. (4th of July, **** off the neighbors who launch illegal fireworks....)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, TRW does hold patents on space-based chemical laser designs. I would assume that they developed these for the now nearly defunct Strategic Defense Initiative [Star Wars] program. The original design was for a chemical laser that would emit x-rays. As an orbital platform, each unit would only carry enough chemicals for one extremely powerful discharge, hopefully intercepting an enemy ICBM in boost stage. If I remember correctly, the range was several hundred miles.
That might be the way they are dealing with the heat and power supply problems associated with gas and crystaline lasers. One potential problem is flushing and replenishing the chemicals fast enough [they're used up in the process] to achive a high rate of fire. TRW had a successful test against a missile a couple months ago. Even so, hitting an artillery shell is quite impressive.

Dan

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Nerd:
You won't be annoying anyone with those lasers.... you will be igniting gazillion tons of wrath...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sadly, others have already done that......

Dan

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened

Just imagine an AC-130 Spectre gunship outfitted with a couple of these in place of the 40mm cannons.

It's good to see Uncle Sam coming up with new weaponry, especially these days.

Originally posted by Nerd:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nerd, be assured that your "gazillion tons of wrath" will be met when the time times. Plenty of that to go around.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just imagine a SR-71A outfitted with 5 shots of that zooming at max speed over saddam's palace...

Alpha Strike anyone?

Melven

Newly Enlightened

Inretech - you beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same thing :)

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Back in the '70's there was a group working on a Gamma Laser. Used a pulse reactor to generate gamma radiation to pulse the Gamma Laser. System was to be used in orbit. The gamma laser was reportedly tested at a Army test reactor in Maryland. Focused high energy gamma ray gun....woof! It was supposed to have worked, problem was lugging around a nuclear reactor to charge the gun with!
grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isn't it a nice feeling to know that our government is playing with so many high tech "toys" that we aren't allowed to know about ?

Read about how Tesla's notes suddenly disapeared after his death

Latest posts