Flashlight Body protection?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have few lights, but cherish them dearly. I dont want to damage them, so I was wondering if there was a way to protect them. Condoms are a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif since a 12 year old would look strange trying to buy some of those. Should I try putting rubber bands on the bezel and tailcap?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I have been using old bicycle inner tubes with great success on my E1e and E2e bodies. Here is the thread in which I posted the results. You can also try and get some electrical wire shrink tube, in which all you need to do is buy the right size to slip over your light, then use a hair dryer on the tubing to shrink it to size. Hope its what you're looking for...

jbev

Newly Enlightened
I use organizer bags from Cabelas for the larger lights. I tried to find a picture but I think they were intended for organizing shower and bathroom supplies since they came with those little plastic mirrors. For smaller lights you could try those small Plano fishing tackle boxes. If your budget allows, there are always the Pelican cases.

Or if you are really cheap try a sock, preferably a clean one.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how much this will help, but since nobody else has responded...

The light I can't live without is the U2 (not like that was hard to guess). This particular unit puts out something in the range of 125-150 effective lumens with a truly awesome tint (I think it's a WA) and is irreplaceable. At the same time, this is a working light that has to follow me into whatever hell and high water may come my way (often and necessarily, too.. it seems that Mr Murphy has a full time staff dedicated to handling my case).

At the same time I realize that I can't afford to buy lights to collect. All of these play a role, including the U2. And sooner or later, they are going to get dinged and scratched. My U2's bezel has already taken a couple of chips despite every reasonable (and often, unreasonable) efforts to protect it. I just tell myself that at the end of the day, working lights are going to eventually look their role. It's either that, or put them on a shelf and never use them.

I'm not that old either, but I've learned that sometimes, it's better to use it and enjoy it for what it is. The risk of scratching isn't going to prevent my favorite light from following me 24x7.

That having been said, some of my precautions - the U2 has a Z60 Surefire lanyard clipped to it to prevent it from hitting concrete should I slip up while holding it. The lanyard is looped through my belt and threaded through itself, deliberately defeating the emergency release (which is only useful on my neck). It's carried in a pocket that contains absolutely no keys and no coins - no metal objects. Metal-on-metal will trash even a HA3 finish in the course of a year. My E1e+KL1 has held up particularly well but I don't feel like finding out on the U2. This is probably the best advice I can give you.