Teflon Coated Glasses

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new polycarbonate "glasses" have the "new" Teflon coating "guaranteed" not to scratch, and will provide UV and anti glare protection. They are to be cleaned under warm, running water, with mild dish detergent, if needed, or the "proprietary" "Shield" brand cleaner - which smells like a glycol window cleaner. No alcohol need apply for this high tech sanitation job.

But...unlike alcohol cleaned real glass glasses - they don't come clean. I discovered this by using one of my lights to test the "Transition" photo darkening feature of my new "glasses". After cleaning, the lenses look fine until you put them up to a bright, especially LED, light - streaks abound and THERE IS NO WAY TO ELIMINATE THEM! This seems to to a benign, surface, effect which dosen't affect one's vision.

The opticians had no clue, nor did the company rep. I can't believe nobody ever looked at these coated lenses without strong light to inspect abberations.

Any of you CPFers have the "Teflon" experience?

K A

Enlightened
I tried the polycarbonate lens earlier this year when I got a new prescription. I don't know what it was but they just did not feel 'right' when putting them on. There also seemed to be some kind of optical abreviation when I looked at edges close up, they appeared to have a blue line all along it.

So either they messed up creating the lens' or my eyes just can't accept polycarbonate. I had to go back to regular plastics.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got poly over plastic to reduce the thickness, as it has a better index of light bending. Also had the edges polished, and my prescribtion was lower, resulting in really thin lenses. There is less distortion too with the thinner lens/lenses that are rectagular/not round. They put on the anti-scratch, not sure if it's teflon without me asking.

But I had the anti-scratch once before and it starts to flake off. My last pair of glasses were plastic with no scratches for 7 years. They yellowed though. I always use a tea-towel (not paper!!!) and dish detergent to clean glasses. Have not had any scratches with this method for 7 years same pair!!

We'll see how this anti-scratch holds up this time. Maybe not because I wear contacts now most of the time!!! way beter!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, btw go to a good eye doctor. My previous glasses I had for 7 years were way to strong even after 7 years my eyes degrade some from them, but I still ended up with a weaker new pair after going back to my old doctor and beign measured right.

when I got my 7year pair I only needed new frames as my others broke. The state's health care plan chagned, and so I had to go to a different doctor. I ended up gettign frames that were smaller by about half (lenes should not be as thick when they are small) and the lenses were so strong! and super thick!?! Everythign was distored and hurt my eyes so bad. It took 3 years before I wouldn't put them on in the morning and trip or run into something!!! I never really got used to them liek you should shortly... My parents wouldn't let me get it fixed as they said it would cost money and "You just had an eye examination"..

This guy couldn't even speak english well (middle-eastern or something). I so wish I was older back then to take matters into my own hands and gone back to my old doctor. My eyes have been made weaker now I'm sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
K A said:
I tried the polycarbonate lens earlier this year when I got a new prescription. I don't know what it was but they just did not feel 'right' when putting them on. There also seemed to be some kind of optical abreviation when I looked at edges close up, they appeared to have a blue line all along it.

So either they messed up creating the lens' or my eyes just can't accept polycarbonate. I had to go back to regular plastics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet your prescription wasn't a good one for polycarbonate. The high refractory index of the plastic can cause chromatic distortion. This will show up with high contrast edges having a yellow or blue shadow along them. It will be more noticeable as you look towards the edge of the lens. This is caused by the different wavelengths of light being bent at slightly different angles as they pass through the lens. The higher the refractive index of the lens the more pronounced the distortion will be. Its the same basic thing that happens with a prism.

I had to revert to glass lenses to minimize the effect. To keep the lenses thin I went with a smaller frame.

iddibhai

Enlightened
teflon coating? WTF? my anti-reflective coating is by pentax, on polycarb lenses. AR coatings are by definition scratch resistant, much more so than the polycarb lens itself. i managed to get one almost a year into mine, and took it back, they replaced it no cost to me. same ones i've been wearing for 4 years, nearly.