My observations from the Super Light Shoot Out # 2

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Just got back from the Super Light Shoot Out # 2 (SLS2) and I'm still seeing stars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I'll post some pictures in about 15 minutes...

It was an honor and great to finally meet In The Dark, Kenshiro and Mr. Ted Bear...

Some impressions:

I've been around and have experienced some very bright lights but The Big 3 (Sleeper, Ken 4 and Ken 5) are in a whole new category. They are "retarded" bright, lighting up everything in their paths with the Ken 5 being the brightest by a noticeable margin. The Ken 4 was the most shocking because it's in such a small and light weight enclosure, you would *never* expect that much light. If you ask whether they are spot or flood lights, my response, "Yes"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Very impressive was the spot of the Blitz/Laser Force 240 at 50 watts, almost Maxabeamish with good side spill but it could not hang with The Big 3...

Sorry, The Crocodile, The Beast and Thor 10MCP were completely outgunned in this test. But the Thor is impressive for a $25 Costco special.

The Havis-Shield, X990, and Thor Upgrade, Kum Kang and others performed decently well but again, fell way short of The Big 3...

I didn't know what to expect meeting these CPFers but when Mr. Ted Bear said to meet them at a Sushi Bar, I knew they had to be good people... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Sure Fire L4 is an excellent EDC and great for close-up work (Duh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)...

More comments and some photos in a few... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. By the way, the Sushi was very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Look at all those goodies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sls2-01.jpg

A whole lotta light from the Ken 5!

sls-02.jpg

See what I mean by the Ken 5 being both a flood and spot light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Distance to trees: ~200 meters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

sls-03.jpg

More pictures tomorrow, need sleep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
I'm such a geek, I'm sitting in my chair going OMG OMG WOW..
Cant wait for more pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Awesome!!

MikeF

Enlightened
S4MadMan,
Thanks so much for posting these!! Also thanks for keeping them under 600 pixels so the pics don't need to be panned.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: My observations from the Super Light Shoot Out

S4MadMan ... congrats on your meeting with those people! You have been promoted to Sir S4MandMan ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ledebuhr1 said:
Where do you get a ken 5 light? and how much do they Cost??

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ken 5 is custom made by Kenshiro and is a prototype. I do not believe it's for sale. It's a whole lotta light: ~16,000 lumens (I believe). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe If you open your checkbook really wide you might convince him to sell it to you.

BTW how much did Kenshiro invest in his light?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Andreas

Enlightened
hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me what light that is laying in the back of your vehicle all the way to the left???

thanks so much!!!

Andreas

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Andreas,
That would be the Beast me believes.

S4MadMan,
thanks for the pics!

Kenshiro,
Where ever you are, good sir, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

16 THOUSAND Lumens!?!?!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Andreas

Enlightened

How about the one that is the fourth light over from the left??

thanks

Andreas

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the second picture the head of the light on the tripod looks strangely familiar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

MadMan thanks for the update /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I can't wait to see all the pic's.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Well,
I would guess it's a KenRad PSL35. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BTW, I met with Mark of Ken Rad fame the other day and he showed me a new HID that will be out sometime this year; after legal patent issues and production is nailed down. What I saw was a prototype and frankly, it was very impressive! Some features were a rotating collar switch behind the head like the Beast which took you from off to 50 watts and then down to 35 watts. The head has another rotating collar in front of the switch which allows for reflector adjustment that gives you the ability to either focus the beeam into a spot or defocus it into a flood. The really cool feature was a very quick disconnect of the battery tube which is hot swappable and consists of an integrated Li-Ion rechargeable battery stick. I believe the reported runtimes were about 90 minutes at 50 watts and sligntly in excess of 2 hours on 35 watts. The "dumb" battery stick can be exchanged for other methods of power source and it looks like this system can be fairly modular and versatile! The electronics are of German design and the host and mechanicals are of Swiss design. There is an integrated sholder strap that can be quickly removed. From what I could see and what I was told, this is going to be a serious entrant but the price will be up there with the other serious and professional HID illumination tools. I was really impressed with some of the engineering I could see!!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!!!!!!!

I havn't been here for a couple days and look what I missed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!!

Thanks S4MadMan: those are some excellent shots. I can't believe how much light that Ken5 puts out 16,000 lumens!!!!!!!

Sleeper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif by the Ken5. I never thought I'd get to say that!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Kenshiro is gonna have to make them and sell them or there might be some major problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

How did the HS hold up comparatively to the other 35watt HIDs?? I know it has great throw, but total light output isn't that great.

O ya, nice minivan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

symes

Enlightened

Awesome results....

Any pictures of the various lights just cold and sitting there to compare size/length etc...

Thanks y'all for doing this!

Kenshiro

Enlightened

McGizmo,

Thank you very much for your /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif.
And a BIG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif to you, too.

Madman, wow. That was a fast post. Talk about "fast off the grill", the lights were probably still warm when you posted those shots.

Everyone, the Ken 5 is a total PROTOTYPE(I was actually connecting wires and stuff that night), and IF I ever made a real "production" version, it would be a bit different. Also, because of it's "untested" state, it was actually underdriven last night, just to be safe.
There was also another prototype, the "Ken 4 with large reflector", which has the same output as the regular Ken 4, but has a more focused beam.

Anyway, the "official" photos will be posted soon (hopefully). I'm still analyzing the results using my slow, outdated, and dumb computer (my brain). This time there's more factors to consider than the shootout last month.

Mr. Ted Bear has the photos also, and since his computer is better than mine, he might post them sooner.

In the meantime, Madman will be posting some other photos.

My sincere thanks to all who helped out last night.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

awesumeeeeeeeeeeeee man thats so cool like the darn sun