Any interest in a 7.2v drop-in Xenon bulb for E2e?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
(heres the original text)

I have no idea where to put this....

I am interested in making a drop-in 7.2v Xenon bulb for the E2/E2e flashlight so it can be used with two rechargeable CR123 batteries. I have a 6 volt version of the bulb sitting here that I made a really simple adapter for, and stuck it in my E2e to see how the beam quality was. Heres a beamshot to compare. Top is the cheap 6v bulb, bottom is the stock E2e's MN03 bulb.

E2e%20bulb%20adapter%20beamshot.jpg

At this point I can get the 7.2v bulbs for about $1.90 each, and put together an adapter and + terminal extension for a total of probably $3ish each.

Now to the part I really dont like... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have no money right now, so I couldnt afford to buy some of these bulbs and put kits together unless I knew people were interested in them. If there are any people who would be willing to do an upfront payment of $5 each so I could do a limited (10 or so) run of these to see how they work out, that would be fantastic!

If you are interested in the drop-in 7.2v bulb for the E2e, post here. If you are interested in helping me out so I can make a small number of test samples, that would be very greatly appreciated.

After this limited run I could probably source the bulbs for quite bit less than $1.90 each, which would translate into a slightly lower total price.

I think this could be a great item, and I hope there are a few people out there that are interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HgRyu

Enlightened
If you can get 3.7V xenon bulb (similar output with MN03) and make same drop-in module, it will become more popular than 7.2V.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
(original text)

Unfortunately I havent come across a 3.7v bulb like this yet.

That $5 was going to include postage, but with non-US purchases shipping would probably be several dollars more. If I go with other bulbs the price may jump to $10 or more, but I cant say for certain since I havent looked into it yet.

I just managed to crunch this bulb I have, so there wont be much I can do, other than coming up with a better base, until I can find a replacement. Maybe I'll swing by Radio Shack tomorrow and have a look at their bulb selection to see if they have a viable alternative.

I dont have any Pila batteries, nor RCR123's to test with yet, but I was planning on buying a RCR123 set from Battery Station with whatever prepays there were. I doubt there will be enough pre-orders for me to buy a Pila set, so I will probably have to stick with the 3.7v RCR123's for now.

I suppose one good thing about going with 3.7v is that the same bulb could be used in the E1e with a RCR123 battery.

For now I will do the 7.2 volt bulbs because I know I can get the stuff needed to make them.

udaman

Banned
Pictures of the adapter/bulb configuration?

Which bulb are you using? voltage/current/lumens specs?

R123's, if you are talking about unprotected 4.2v starting voltage, 3.7v nominal have limit on current they presently can deliver (changing target with each new version released). JSB's protected R123's are even more limited in current capability, so you are then limited to bulbs that do not draw much current (which is a good thing I suppose, since the capacity of R123's is so low the runtimes are very short).

JSB's R123 protected 3v batteries; of 3.6v starting, 3.2v nominal (IIRC) have current limiting circuits that make them impractical, if not impossible to use with incandescent bulbs that draw more than 1amp.

It's in my long list of plans to show pictures of such a mod, so that maybe anyone can attempt it. Probably can do the same with the Brinkman Maxfire.

If the batteries were capable (and I don't think they are yet up to this heavy load) the Carley 1152 at 3.5v would be a perfect, I should think. Only problem is that this 140 lumen spec'd T1.5 size bulb(same diameter as what SF uses in the lower output modules/light assemblies) draws 2.3a at 3.5v. Lithium rechargeable, or for that matter any battery, has voltage sag under load. The higher the load, the more the voltage sag. Put a 2.3amp load on R123's and the actual running voltage would be less than 3.5v. So you get what, 10-15minutes of runtime, and the light starts a medium white, then goes to duller yellow in less than 5 minutes or so (just guessing here)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. In a e2e or Brinkman Maxfire, I'm not sure if even the larger diameter Pila can do a good job at running at 2.3a. Bare/unprotected Lithium 18650 cells, like the just annouced Sony 2550ma cell, could do this though; run the 1152 bulb at spec'd 3.5v under load for nearly an hour of runtime.

The Carley 1152 at 140lumens is not all that bright though. I run a M*g6-cell xenon in a M*g2D with a 8AA-2D adapter, and it is much brighter, and much whiter. Bulb lifespan is short, but who cares, they cost less than $4 and you can buy the M*g6-cell xenon's in most hardware stores.

I used 8 AA Lithium primary Energizers to try to drive a 12v/1.6a (20watts) bulb in the M*gD, but voltage sag under even this meager 1.6a load, was such that the bulb was yellow in output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Any interest in a 7.2v drop-in Xenon bulb for

There's no shame in sharing a not-so-good idea, why edit/delete all the posts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be willing to give a shot at making a 3.7v version of the E2e drop-in lamp, if I could find the parts I need.... It probably wouldnt be pretty but it should work.

Anyone have a source for Streamlight Strion bulbs cheap?

Kinsman

Newly Enlightened

Leave all the posts.
Guys like me, who know very little about this stuff, will enjoy seeing questions asked and discussed by those more knowledgeable...this leads to greater understanding. At least, for me.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Ditto, Kinsman. That was the reason I commented on this. How can people constructively critize/improve an idea/design when the original post has been deleted? We're all trying to learn here and even people with 5000 posts sometimes ask questions that sound "obvious" to other members. My 0.2 lumens.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know the specs for the TL-3 bulb (7.2 volt?), but it seems to me that it could run off of two unprotected R123a's?
Chevrofreak,
I think your efforts would be worth trying in the name of science. And like you say, if it doesn't work out, your mod would be a great host for a 3.7 volt bulb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

My newest version of this idea will probably be a Streamlight Stinger bulb in some sort of E2 compatible base, that the user can change the bulbs on. It would be far more money, because the bulbs themselves would be $7 locally, unless I can get them to make a bulk deal for me.

And since I cant afford to buy a Pila set I would either need to send the bulbs to someone for testing, or have someone lend me a set to use.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know I would be more interested in the base, I could get bulbs anytime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking about this new idea so much that I couldnt even sleep. The way that would be easiest to make would mean that the bulbs couldnt just be pulled out and replaced. Unless someone knows where I can get a bi-pin bulb receptacle thing thats less than 1/4" diameter and 1/4" long, its going to be a major PITA to make it so the bulbs can just be pulled out.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I've got the exact thing you speak of. It drops into an e2e and allows you to use a nice strion (3.7v) bulb. Chop made it, and I have been duplicating it.

It works well. There are already threads about this..... someone was trying to get fivemega to make a run of these, but as far as I know nothing has come of it yet.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah I saw those other threads. I was going to make a whole new base so that it didnt need to be made from a burned out MN0x lamp.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
I've got the exact thing you speak of. It drops into an e2e and allows you to use a nice strion (3.7v) bulb. Chop made it, and I have been duplicating it.

It works well. There are already threads about this..... someone was trying to get fivemega to make a run of these, but as far as I know nothing has come of it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If fivemega can't make them would you share the process so we could try to build them like what parts are needed, supplies, equipment and some instruction?