Any comments on Laserglow.com and their lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffS

Newly Enlightened
Considering they have the blue and yellow in the same mW as CNI, its most likely the same exact thing, just with the price jacked up, and it seems for the 160mW one nearly DOUBLE the price.

edit - see Here

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi CliffS,
I had read here that CNI does not sell to anyone in the USA, is this correct? Do you know of any other options for this type of laser for people here is the US?

Jack

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CliffS said:
Considering they have the blue and yellow in the same mW as CNI, its most likely the same exact thing, just with the price jacked up, and it seems for the 160mW one nearly DOUBLE the price.

edit - see Here

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason for that..... CNI is a manufacturer. Laserglow is a distibuter. Manufacturers sell to distributers, who sell to the public (if not, to another distibutor who then sells to the public).This the chain of distribution. This is done for many reasons e.g. reduce paper work, manufacturer doesn't have the hassle of dealing with public etc etc too many too list.

Now, if i was from laserglow, and was reading about all these potential customers who are going direct and CNI is going along with it, I'd bee might peeved with CNI.

No diffrent if i discovered my customers were going direct to my suppliers. Though some companies do choose to go direct, not many do......

And yes, i've been guilty of it myself. I've just been thinking about this alot lately from an ethical point of view............

wintermute

Enlightened
With all the information regarding what people are getting their CNI lasers for, Laserglow is marking up their product way too much. But that's just my opinion.

DaFiend

Enlightened
true, it looks that way. but, would you think that if you didn't know the price that cni have been selling them for?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Is there a price listing at the CNI website? I could not find a price on them.

Jack

DaFiend

Enlightened
No, like most manufacturers, they don't post there prices, as the general public is not supposed to know what the cost is.

Why get a laserglow when you get Wicked Lasers at so much less, if you need the module for industrial use or incorporating it into a device, when you remove the laserglow's inside module and you remove the Wicked's inside module, you get the same thing, but the only difference is that you only get one laserglow module as compared to five or so wicked modules at the same price.

wintermute

Enlightened
Why get a Laserglow laser instead of a Wicked Laser?

How about duty cycle, what is recommended for the Wicked Laser products? 10 seconds on...30 seconds off. With the Laserglow (CNI) units the duty cycle is 100%, you can leave it on as long as you want, and not burn it out.

So put a CNI laser rated at 160mw beside a Wicked Laser Pheonix rated at 80mw, turn them both on for 90 seconds. The CNI laser is fine, you can leave it on for another 5 minutes if you wish. The Wicked Laser Pheonix is now a $400 2xAAA battery holder.

Maybe Laserglows prices are marked up a bunch, but you can get a laser with twice the power, albeit twice the price, that won't burn out if you leave it on for 90 seconds.

Our recommended duty cycle for our lasers is 1 minute on, 1 minute off, how do you compare our compact pen housing to the aluminum heat sink of Laserglow. Our lasers use a 500mW diode (<60mW and up), or a 200mW diode (<50mW and less) which are fully capable of 100% duty cycle once a heat sink is built for the module. If you re-read our post, if you remove both modules from a Laserglow and Wicked Lasers, you'll have the same exact thing, youre paying 200-400$ extra for the heat sink, think why a compact pen laser will not be able to have as long of a duty cycle as the same laser encased in an inch or so of heat-dispersing aluminum. There's no such two products available today as a laser diode that's able to pump out a 100% duty cycle compared to a laser diode that can pump out a 50% duty cycle. I'm not claiming our laser is better than Laserglow's, internally they are the same thing (however, a 1W diode may be used for some of their >100-200mW lasers). However, you're paying double or triple for the heat sink made of aluminum. Furthermore, if you turn on the Phoenix for 90 seconds and turn it off for 90 seconds, the unit will power back up to its original specification.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the high power PGLIIIs are using a C-mount 1.2W pump diode (As seen in shiftlock's pictures of a disassembled one).
These can be pushed to get over 300mW of green whereas a 500mW 9mm diode wouldn't last long at that level but in any case, the heatsink makes all the difference.

wintermute

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
If you re-read our post, if you remove both modules from a Laserglow and Wicked Lasers, you'll have the same exact thing

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact same thing? So why don't you make a 150-200mw laser?

DaFiend

Enlightened
Wonka, What i'd like to know is, do you have any proof of your accusations? At all. Chris has spent over a month in China. Do you think he just went there for a holiday? I think not.

I honestly think you should get all the facts before you you start shooting your mouth off.

When it comes down to scratch, these products end up being totally diffrent. Each has its own unique aspect and attributes. I really don't think there is any need to rubbish someones product. Diffrent people are going to have diffrent requirements.
As for the product looking the same as a leadlight. These things come from china. do you know how easy it is to get exact replica designs done over there?
Let alone, for all you know chris is getting the housing from the same place leadlight get theirs from, after all The jasper has the same housing as the Z-Bolt BTG-10, and the PGL-III has the same housing as the HZLGP-MOD2.

Some of the pointers on Chris page now look more like a changchun pointer.

In the end, i'll end up with both. These really do end up being 2 diffrent product, to suit the needs of diffrent people.

I don't know the whole facts on wickeds products, or if clever laser are associated with them. But i don't see the need to rubbish the product. So what? it has a duty cycle? what did you expect from such a compact laser? you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I just don't think its the CPF thing to trash perfectly good product, (which admittadly has some limitations) without the evidence to back it up.

Maybe give the guy some credit.It wasn't too long ago every one here was talking about "lets put a 500mW diode in a pointer and then we can get some sick power....... yeah, awesome idea." Chris has obviously put time and money into these new products, and in the process been able to lower his prices. 6 months ago there would have been drool everywhere.

I can almost garauntee, that sooner or later, CNI are going to get sick of sending out 1 pointer at a time and either jack up the price or or stop going direct to the consumer, honestly they'd rather be dispatching 20 or 30.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

EDIT: i'd just like to remark that this post was in refrence to a post that has since been edited

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Would it be possible for wickedlaser to put some kind of conductive thermal compound on the body of the diode to better conduct heat to the outside body of the pen?
Or is that what they already do and can only get a 50% duty cycle?

Jack

gecko991

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wonka187 said:
Why get a Laserglow laser instead of a Wicked Laser?

How about duty cycle, what is recommended for the Wicked Laser products? 10 seconds on...30 seconds off. With the Laserglow (CNI) units the duty cycle is 100%, you can leave it on as long as you want, and not burn it out.

So put a CNI laser rated at 160mw beside a Wicked Laser Pheonix rated at 80mw, turn them both on for 90 seconds. The CNI laser is fine, you can leave it on for another 5 minutes if you wish. The Wicked Laser Pheonix is now a $400 2xAAA battery holder.

Maybe Laserglows prices are marked up a bunch, but you can get a laser with twice the power, albeit twice the price, that won't burn out if you leave it on for 90 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ] If you want a Mag light case with a masive heat sink then by all means go ahead and buy a PGL-III but comparing apples to oranges is somewhat retarded. A Phoenix demonstrates very impressive power for a laser retaining the same sized body with an obvious duty cycle because of its size while a PGL-III is a higher powered laser using a much larger case and heatsink design. They are two different laser body types and the heatsink on the PGL is expensive. Chris has made some excellent pen type lasers in the past and Im sure the Phoenix will be yet another one. I ordered one myself and I see no need to bash Chris and his products as they are very well built and highly competetive in price.

wintermute

Enlightened
gecko991...this thread started as a discussion about Laserglow products. It was wickedlasers_com who chimed in with the idea of buying a Wicked Lasers product. The two products are very different, and I would buy a Wicked Laser product if I wanted another laser pointer. But since bootleg2go asked about Laserglow.com products, I posted the differences between the 2.

DaFiend

Enlightened
Hmmm. Now my post looks totally out of context at the moment...... a bit crazy actually.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

wintermute

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DaFiend said:
Hmmm. Now my post looks totally out of context at the moment...... a bit crazy actually.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.