I love t-mobile

matt_j

Enlightened
So I've been using a Sidekick device to browse internet, chat and email when I'm on the night shift and bored. I've been using same old Sidekick for the past 2 years... So my contract expired long time ago and I became a monthly customer. Since I don't use t-mobile as a phone (i got nextel for that) but only for data services my bill is $32 a month for unlimited internet (and well worth it when you are bored).

Since April last year I'm getting junk mail from T mobile asking me to renew my contract. I honestly want to upgrade my device but I'm not in the rush or anything. So here are deals they offered me so far:

- we take 10% off your first month of new contract (nice it would be a whooping $3.20 wow)
- we can give you a new device for only $225 (damn and t mobile has it on the web for $200 so as a returning customer I'm getting screwed)
- we will give you 50 minutes free (I don't use it as a phone)

All I want is a decent price on the new Sidekick and I extend my contract but those nuckleheads don't wanna hear it. Sometimes I wonder how many poeple slip by and take their bussines some place else becasue of stupidity of big companies...

Matt

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call them and tell them you want to cancel your service, that will get their attention. Keeping an existing customer is much cheaper than finding a new one, and most of these companies will do anything that's reasonable (and sometimes even unreasonable) to reduce "churn".

Peter

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moment you ask to terminate your contract, you will be transferred to retentions who can give you better deals than what Customer Care is able to give.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Yep. They'll give you a lot of free stuff if they think they're going to lose you. That's why I'm where I am at now. I'm over 2 years past my 1 year contract with them and still only pay $20/month, but I'm getting service that you would pay close to $40/month for if you signed up with them now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I recently called them with a simple question about my old phone (Nokia 3390 - I love it, bulletproof) because when you hit 08 with the keypad locked, it will dial 911 if the send key is hit next. It turns out that the # 08 is an emergency services phone # in some countries like 911 is here, and so is 112. Because of this, these numbers can be dialed directly even with the keypad locked, and are hard-programmed into the phone by the manufacturer.

Anyway, the T-Mobile agent was willing to give me a phone that would normally cost $300 for only $25 to upgrade, even though I didn't want to. When I grilled them about why they wanted me to upgrade so badly, I finally pried out of them that if I accepted that offer it would mean that I would have entered into a new contract (for 2 years) and not only that, but my service would begin to actually cost the $40/month that I am currently getting for only $20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif Needless to say, I turned them down, and will continue happily on a month-to-month basis.

PS - If you have an older GSM phone that you don't use anymore, it can still be used as an emergency phone to dial 911 anywhere it has a signal even without the SIM card. A good thing to give someone that would only want a cell for emergency purposes.

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
PS - If you have an older GSM phone that you don't use anymore, it can still be used as an emergency phone to dial 911 anywhere it has a signal even without the SIM card. A good thing to give someone that would only want a cell for emergency purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a nightmare lately because we get loads of 911 calls to officer stabbed, crew shot, etc etc and than 9 squad cars, ems and undercover respond which a)takes away from other areas, b)shows our response time and strength and c) puts all the resources in one area which could be easly disposed or eliminated. And this stuff cant be traced.

We even know which calls are bs but we still need to go just in case this one would be legit.

Matt

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem when my Wife's contract was almost up and we wanted to get another phone, they would not come off the price at all. So I cancelled service and sign up at A1 Wireless and got the phone I wanted for free that was $200. Hope this helps.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed that the sidekick II is free in my zip code on the A1 wireless site. I just typed in the zip 11204 for Brooklyn, NY and the sidekick II is free for that area also. Good Luck! I see the catch is that the phone would only be free if you signed up for a 600 minute phone plan, however with just the sidekick data plan the sidekick would only be $49.99.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted a topic that was not answered where you can get a sidekick 2 for free plus 25 bucks in return and 29.99 a month for unlimited data service. Had to have a two year contract.

Phone companies use to deal to get you in a contract now they dont seemto care and its best to just quit and rejoin for a deal.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a nightmare lately because we get loads of 911 calls to officer stabbed, crew shot, etc etc and than 9 squad cars, ems and undercover respond which a)takes away from other areas, b)shows our response time and strength and c) puts all the resources in one area which could be easly disposed or eliminated. And this stuff cant be traced.

We even know which calls are bs but we still need to go just in case this one would be legit.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do your work? In Washington any cell phone call is routed to the state police who transfer you to the closest barracks. Most companies are starting to be able to place the location of a cell call based either on a built in GPS (which can't be disable for a 911 call) or with the more complicated method of triangulation. That's something that maybe whould be made mandatory in more areas.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently pay $55/month right now for 1000 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, and mobile to mobile,and I think 300 text messages.I am on a month by month basis. I would love a free sidekick II, what is the equivilent speed of data transder on the sidekick2?

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do your work? In Washington any cell phone call is routed to the state police who transfer you to the closest barracks. Most companies are starting to be able to place the location of a cell call based either on a built in GPS (which can't be disable for a 911 call) or with the more complicated method of triangulation. That's something that maybe whould be made mandatory in more areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in NYC. So what that they know physical location of the call. Usually the location of the call and place where we are going is the same anyway since the prankster wants to watch. Triangulation is useful in sar or when 911 call is placed as a real emergency.